F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle vibration between seats towards the back of the headliner area.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rattle vibration between seats towards the back of the headliner area.

I have a 2016 F Type R, when I have the music fairly loud with base i.e. UB40 early stuff I get a rattle/vibration in the headliner in the middle area behind the seats.

If I push up on the headliner (I have the sky light glass panel that has the roll back cover) in that area which is where the rollback cover for the sky light rolls back in, the noise goes away. Its feels like something up there has come unstuck from the roof panel.

Before I go to the dealer does anyone else have this issue i.e. is there a TSB or is this a known issue?

Thanks
Simon

Old 01-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Probably nothing more than a clip. Unfortunately they will have to dismantle basically the entire interior trim to access it.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Music with a lot of bass is going to rattle things... It's just about unavoidable. They've done a pretty good job on the jag but different objects and materials have different resonant frequencies and it's hard to design for all of them without adding another 50 pounds to the car. I know some of the songs you're referring to and they have prolonged and higher frequency almost pure-sinewave bass notes than what is typical. The perfect setup for a rattle. Hope you're able to get it sorted--- it could be a real challenge for the dealer.

Last edited by 15FTypeR; 01-13-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Think I can live with it as I really don't want the dealer where I live taking the inside apart. If there was a TSB I would go for it but with out factory instructions most dealers can make a real mess of things when it comes to trim.

Note I had the TSB for the difficult to fill with petrol issue. After they completed the job I checked the work and found they had round my lug nuts, incorrectly routed the over fill tube, left the heat shield for the exhaust bent down, scratch the inside of the wheel, and over lapped the wheel liner incorrectly. I corrected all of these myself.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same problem but not associated with bass too loud.

The buzzing or fast rattle manifests itself on certain road surfaces.

It is in the same area you describe.

I shall endeavor to live with it.

Attached Thumbnails Rattle vibration between seats towards the back of the headliner area.-jagrear.jpg  
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked up my 2017 F-Type S AWD and have the exact same rattle!! I hear it with the radio turned off, so it's not from the bass or blown speaker. The rattle intensifies when i'm accelerating - it's obviously from vibration of some sort.

It's driving me crazy though... I just purchased a $90K car and don't expect an annoying rattle... why does this stuff never happen during the test drive?!?!

Any thoughts advice would be appreciated as I fear the dealership ripping it apart will end up causing a new rattle somewhere else...

Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by reznik6044
I just picked up my 2017 F-Type S AWD and have the exact same rattle!! I hear it with the radio turned off, so it's not from the bass or blown speaker. The rattle intensifies when i'm accelerating - it's obviously from vibration of some sort.

It's driving me crazy though... I just purchased a $90K car and don't expect an annoying rattle... why does this stuff never happen during the test drive?!?!

Any thoughts advice would be appreciated as I fear the dealership ripping it apart will end up causing a new rattle somewhere else...
Assuming you have a coupe the first thing to check is the hatch cover, it might not be fully located on the pins, and even if it is the fit is sometimes quite loose and the brackets rattle on the pins (near the front of the cover, just behind the seats).
Easiest way to check is to take the hatch cover right out and go for a drive, if the rattle is gone you have found the problem.
If that is the problem then the easiest way to fix it is to wrap the pins in insulation tape (8,10,12 turns, trial and error) then jam the brackets over the pins really hard. Top tip - hold the panel that the pin is attached you as you jam the bracket over it, otherwise it moves a lot, easiest way is from the side not from straight behind.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Assuming you have a coupe the first thing to check is the hatch cover, it might not be fully located on the pins, and even if it is the fit is sometimes quite loose and the brackets rattle on the pins (near the front of the cover, just behind the seats).
Easiest way to check is to take the hatch cover right out and go for a drive, if the rattle is gone you have found the problem.
If that is the problem then the easiest way to fix it is to wrap the pins in insulation tape (8,10,12 turns, trial and error) then jam the brackets over the pins really hard. Top tip - hold the panel that the pin is attached you as you jam the bracket over it, otherwise it moves a lot, easiest way is from the side not from straight behind.
how does the sliding hatch cover come out? Mine vibrates weather the hatch is open or closed

Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by simonnallen
how does the sliding hatch cover come out? Mine vibrates weather the hatch is open or closed
I'm talking about the trunk/hatch cover, not the pano roof sliding cover.
I'm guessing that to get the pano roof cover off you need to remove most if not all of the roof trim panels.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Why wouldn't this be covered by TSB: JTB00432v2 14.09.2015 Vibrations -Rattles Entertainment System?

Per the comments above, there can be many reasons why squeak and rattle exist - I just don't think it's the buyer's responsibility to correct, under warranty. Maybe that's where my opinion and the dealer's differs

Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dmchao
Why wouldn't this be covered by TSB: JTB00432v2 14.09.2015 Vibrations -Rattles Entertainment System?

Per the comments above, there can be many reasons why squeak and rattle exist - I just don't think it's the buyer's responsibility to correct, under warranty. Maybe that's where my opinion and the dealer's differs
You're right - it's absolutely not the owner's responsibility. The dealer will fix rattles, it's just a matter of whether you want them tearing apart your interior to find it. How much do you trust your dealer to do the job correctly?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Thank you! I'll give this a try tonight. I also found a child seat restraint clip cover loosely fitted to the metal mesh over the speaker, behind the seat. I'm going to remove that bad boy as well and go for a drive.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 AM

Update - It was the child seat restraint clip - there is a bracket that was loose. I wasn't able to get it secured, so I removed it. There is an hole in the speaker grill now, but it's hidden behind the passenger seat.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice! Glad it was an easy find.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

You lucky! My car has 3 main rattles (1) drivers door, (2) somewhere behind the rear passenger seat, and (3) sometimes from the infotainment system area. My Infiniti G35 after 11 years of ownership, zero rattles.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, one hint from my side, not sure if it is applicable to any of the above mentioned issues, but good to check (need to open the tailgate for it):
For the F-Type Coupe, there is a piece of rubber running around the inside of the trunk, and basically connecting it to the chassis where the rain-drain is.
This piece of rubber is about 3mm wide and lays flat on the chassis.
Typically it should be glued all around, so if you put your fingernail on the corner, you should not be able to lift it easily.
If it comes up while running your finger along the edge, the glue got weak.
If you now go to a higher speed, the wind will be pressed in from the side of the tailgate and get the rubber to flutter.
This will give you a rhythmic rattle, which if you are in the inside of car, appears to come from somewhere behind your left or right ear (depending on the side) but as it was in the cabine and not outside.

My dealer fixed this with re-applying some glue.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a persistent rattle from behind the passenger seat. I brought it in a total of three times to the local Minneapolis JLR dealer - the first time they just added some anti rattle tape or whatever to the interior components.

The second time they fixed another rattle that was being caused by a loose amplifier or cpu on the firewall that would only be heard on acceleration.

The third time, I left the house super early and drove around the dealer neighborhood trying to find road landmarks that could get this rattle to come out. I managed this over some expansion joints. I took the master mechanic out and showed him exactly what was up. They took apart the entire interior from the seats back, and FINALLY found the cause - an electrical connector had come loose and was beating into the surrounding metal, enough to leave witness marks. They wrapped the connector and it was finally fixed.

I've been daily driving since June, and even now take it in the Minneapolis winter, and the rattles/base speakers are my only complaints.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have a slight rattle from behind the passenger seat, which appears to be a result of warranty work. Approx 8 months ago I took my car to the dealer for a differential replacement and a window problem on the passenger side (wouldn't close all the way). They replaced the differential and decided it needed a window motor replacement. Problem was while replacing the window motor they damaged something that caused the airbag warning light to come on. They took forever trying to figure it out and eventually replaced the passenger seatbelt tensioner. Got the car back and a few days later, on came the airbag light again. Second time around they replaced the passenger seatbelt assembly. Again, a few days later airbag light again. They had the car for a few days and eventually said that the wiring was incorrect on the tensioner. Looks like this was a recall from back in 2014, number J047. My guess is the tensioner had been sat on a shelf somewhere since manufacture and was still wired incorrectly. Anyway, everything fixed now but I gained this annoying little rattle. To be honest I'm very reluctant to have them strip the interior again in case they break something else.
Just gonna live with this one