F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Meridian sound system. Any solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rattling Meridian sound system. Any solutions?

I have the lower wattage system in my F and the damn thing resonates like crazy. The worst offender is the drivers door but I have rattles and resonating parts throughout the cabin.

Is there a solution for this? I want to just turn the damn thing off at times. Mine is a mid 15 build. I would have thought jag would have figured this issue out by now.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Turn down the bass a bit. Mine did the same thing with the factory settings.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftype-R
I have the lower wattage system in my F and the damn thing resonates like crazy. The worst offender is the drivers door but I have rattles and resonating parts throughout the cabin.

Is there a solution for this? I want to just turn the damn thing off at times. Mine is a mid 15 build. I would have thought jag would have figured this issue out by now.
Other than changing settings.. you could consider taking it to the dealer as it should be a warranty item and easy to duplicate.
Lawrence.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:43 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi there - this has been a problem and continues to be a problem in all F-Type up till those built recently. I have tried hard to lobby for Jaguar's direct engagement after having taken my own car in 4-times to get this solved and that from what I've seen in other threads impacts many other cars.

I was lobbying the Jaguar social guys on the F-Type Owners Club website and when they started receiving too many difficult questions they were unable to answer they locked the thread. At no time did Jaguar declare this was their website and that they were really moderators. I guess we are fortunate they did not delete the thread - you can see more here: Meridian 330w Speaker Issue - Jaguar F-Type Forums - Page 1

All I can say is this: Jaguar are aware they have this issue and that it is impacting other customers, however their Social engagement policy requires you as an individual to proactively report it to them directly with your car details via PM. And despite seeing our conversations, they won't help otherwise. Then they will simply point you to a dealer who will pull your car apart and add tape to a cable and stuff it with additional foam which does not fix the issue. Its become very clear to me Jaguar engineers are either shielded from us customers or don't like leaving the confines of the factory.

Whilst I love my car, this is the last JLR product I'm purchasing as the surrounding experience it just shocking. I simply don't trust the company - even if it we safety related - as they clearly don't have the escalation procedures worked out.

Sorry for the rant - but the Jaguar social team really annoy me with their 'procedures.'

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

My car was built in the first week of September. As delivered there was a buzz from the left side door speaker, which could be trimmed out using the audio settings. I took the car back to get this sorted along with one touch closing not working and the front bumper needing a tweak.

The door speakers are 8" items, and even with the base stereo have it in them to make the driver resonate, never mind the car.

DuhCar (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

This may not be totally helpful, BUT, all objects (in the car) have a 'natural resonant frequency', whereby they will vibrate (ie buzz) at a particular frequency if 'stimulated'. You could say, broadly speaking, that 'loose' things will buzz at a lower frequency, so the solution is to 'stiffen' the affected objects so that their resonant frequency is higher than the stimulating frequency - ie tighten screws, isolate items with damping (rubber washers perhaps), dynomat and similar.

You can see how this could be a headache for Jag - literally anything could be vibrating and it may vary depending on how tight certain screws are, whether or not a wiring harness is touching a panel etc...although you would think they would have identified some prime candidates.

In my (non Jag) car, the aftermarket exhaust resonates chronically at 2300-2700 rpm - literally makes coins jump out of the ashtray.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer wrapped some of the speaker surrounds in felt, greatly reducing the resonance.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I took mine into the dealer and they did a massive tape job on the entire door.... I think the tech accidentally taped the speaker a bit, because the sound is still far from acceptable, but majorly improved. They are trying to get it right, but I think this is a pretty big issue for all of us... Honestly, it is the ONLY thing I really don't like about the car....

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

There's also a software update that helps a lot.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Turn the sub bass completely off.
Listen only on the "Stereo setting"

It is a awful system.

The only good thing is when I listen to 1960 songs they sound like I remember on a 1960 transistor radio.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymike

It is a awful system.

The only good thing is when I listen to 1960 songs they sound like I remember on a 1960 transistor radio.
You shouldn't have to do that. I have a ton of bass on my 770 system and have no rattles after the dealer applied an amplifier software update as well as added a sort of dynamat to the doors and interior all under warranty.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymike

It is a awful system.

Mine sounds great ever since the software update (coupe). Bass can be cranked to max without any rattling or buzzing.

Arne (09-20-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Mine sounds great ever since the software update (coupe). Bass can be cranked to max without any rattling or buzzing.
Mine (coupe) has always sounded great from day one, never a single issue with rattles, buzzes, muddiness, poor bass etc etc.
Zero chance the dealership I bought it from had any sort of software update or physical fix applied, as they were a very new "prestige car" used car dealership at the time - this was their very first Jag of any type - so unless the previous owner had something done (unlikely) I got very lucky with a 770W surround sound system that was good from the get go. It seems to me that these problems effect some F-Types with the 770W system and by no means all of them.

Arne (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Tech Service Bulletin (JTB00432 v2) covers this under warranty. They apply foam sound deadening material and zip tie all the wires together inside both doors.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
Tech Service Bulletin (JTB00432 v2) covers this under warranty. They apply foam sound deadening material and zip tie all the wires together inside both doors.
I would recommend eating the cost at a high end audio shop. Less risk of damage.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Something amazing happened to my anemic Meridian system just 2 days ago.

I was driving to work as usual listening to Spotify and it was like a light switch went on.
The sound went from anemic to amazing without me doing anything. It was clear,rich and defined
like I have never heard in any car before. It almost scared me because of the sudden realistic nature of the new sound.

Could some signal have come from somewhere with some fix or am I crazy?

Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 16 f type R and my driver side door tweeter rattled bad, brought my car in for the once year service, explained the tweeters are blown or rattling. They replaced both tweeters, I pick my car up, literally not one bit different. I didn’t even say anything because I just don’t want to deal with my car at the dealer anymore, mostly nervous of them messing my interior up, which at 7800 miles and literally not a crease in my leather lol. I agree with taking it to a high end audio shop. What I notice thought is the louder I turn the stereo up (700w) it gets clearer because it drowns out the rattle. So the stereo sounds good just needs to be Matted. It’s super annoying at low volumes though.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
I have a 16 f type R and my driver side door tweeter rattled bad, brought my car in for the once year service, explained the tweeters are blown or rattling. They replaced both tweeters, I pick my car up, literally not one bit different. I didn’t even say anything because I just don’t want to deal with my car at the dealer anymore, mostly nervous of them messing my interior up, which at 7800 miles and literally not a crease in my leather lol. I agree with taking it to a high end audio shop. What I notice thought is the louder I turn the stereo up (700w) it gets clearer because it drowns out the rattle. So the stereo sounds good just needs to be Matted. It’s super annoying at low volumes though.
I had my door panels insulated with dynamat. The dealer did a fantastic job as they spent the time to completely cover every exposed part of the panel. When the tech was done it felt like we doubled the weight. They also did the rears as well the same way. I have had no issues with noise or rattles.

You may also want to search for Cambo's posts on upgrading the speakers from the JLR parts bin. This is a must do. You will be amazed.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I had the software update and also did the Cambo speaker upgrade with Sound deading in doors. Very much improved. VERY LONG THREADS ON THIS ISSUE.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I just think the Meridian sound system is trash, and I have the upgraded surround. What I did though was changed it from the Meridian Surround to Dolby Surround. It reduces the low frequency range and turns up the treble a bit. Gives a more clear and defined audio output, but it's relative...if you're into bumping bass till your ears bleed, you probably won't achieve it with this system.

RichardCranium (09-28-2019)