Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Red Line Water Wetter

Any cons?
Thoughts?
1 bottle to our all-ready 50/50 mix?

Old 11-04-2018, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Water wetter is really delivers improved cooling in racing. However, long-term effects are unknown. I can't tell you what engine with 100K with it would look like internally. Are there deposits? Does it turn acidic and eats coolant passages?

Old 11-04-2018, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

SIGH <--- another common topic that generates endless discussion, wherever

Don't forget Evans Waterless Coolant https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-...rless-coolant/

++++++++++++

I'm not making recommendations, I just use the type that the manufacturer says. (My garage cabinet has three different coolants, for four cars!)

Whatever you use, you need to consider your OWN needs:

freeze protection
boil-over resistance
what your engine is 'made of' (iron, aluminum, etc)
availability
cost

(Would you rather talk about oil???) LOL

Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
SIGH <--- another common topic that generates endless discussion, wherever

Don't forget Evans Waterless Coolant https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-...rless-coolant/

++++++++++++

I'm not making recommendations, I just use the type that the manufacturer says. (My garage cabinet has three different coolants, for four cars!)

Whatever you use, you need to consider your OWN needs:

freeze protection
boil-over resistance
what your engine is 'made of' (iron, aluminum, etc)
availability
cost

(Would you rather talk about oil???) LOL
SIGH - I've read a lot about oil on our forum … Was hoping to get first hand, measured experience of Water Wetter with our F Types.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

I've used Water Wetter in all my race bikes except one (air cooled), mixed with water only. Did the bikes run cooler with it? Not that I noticed, but before the sanctioning body permitted it, I drained the cooling system after each race weekend to avoid corrosion. Afterwards I didn't bother with that. I have not tried it in the F-Type.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I've used Water Wetter in all my race bikes except one (air cooled), mixed with water only. Did the bikes run cooler with it? Not that I noticed, but before the sanctioning body permitted it, I drained the cooling system after each race weekend to avoid corrosion. Afterwards I didn't bother with that. I have not tried it in the F-Type.
Yep. The only reason I ran water wetter is that for racing, we were not allowed to run glycol. With that in mind, I ran Distilled Water and a few capsfull of water wetter. I don't see any benefit of running it in a car that has anti-freeze.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I had four Corvettes in a row between 2007 and 2014, and most Corvettes tend to run hot in the summer - 220 to 230 degrees in traffic. I kept the oil temp gauge on the dashboard all the time and if it was reasonable, I ignored the water temp. I did try the Water Wetter once about ten years ago, and noticed no difference at all. Since my F-Type's temperature gauge parks itself right on normal winter or summer, I seldom think about it.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by O'Dell
Since my F-Type's temperature gauge parks itself right on normal winter or summer, I seldom think about it.
Unfortunately, temp gauge has nothing to do with engine temp on F-type. It isn't representative of actual engine temperature. F-type has "too hot" and "cold engine" lights that were made into a fake gauge. To make things worse, F-type's engine is not likely to survive severe overheating, so when you gauge pegs it is generally too late.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Unfortunately, temp gauge has nothing to do with engine temp on F-type. It isn't representative of actual engine temperature. F-type has "too hot" and "cold engine" lights that were made into a fake gauge. To make things worse, F-type's engine is not likely to survive severe overheating, so when you gauge pegs it is generally too late.
Hmmmmmm. I'm fairly new to Jaguars, a bit over a year, and that seems like an odd way to report on the engine's condition. Obviously, I've never seen a "too hot" light, but it's something I need to investigate. I guess my first question is why put a gauge prominently on the dash, if it's output is inaccurate. Is there a way to display or even see the oil temp rather than the coolant temp like I did on my Corvettes? Now you have me concerned, but thanks for the information.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:45 PM

I have read a lot of mixed reviews with regards to adding the product to an existing 50/50 mix. Everything from "great addition, lowered temps" to "caused sludge build-up" ....

Old 11-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

My experience with water wetter is some what different. I first used it around 1998 in my C5 Corvette and it was mostly because the fan cycled a LOT when going to work (same traffic every day). Upon switching to water wetter, I noticed that the fan came on less.
I then started using it on my modified Honda VTX1800N3 and Hayabusa Turbo. On both, the fan cycled a lot less. I still use it on all my vehicles

The point of it is NOT to make the engine temperature lower, because that is controlled by your thermostat and you would NEVER see a change in teh gauge. The point is to increase the heat transfer ratio. This is heat from the block to the coolant and then the coolant to the radiator for fast heat dissipation.

No an engine temperature gauge is not going to show you any change, the real proof is how well it transfer the heat to th radiator elements for cooling.

PS, I disagree with the post above. The Temperature gauge is actually a GAUGE tied to the coolant temperature sensor and showing exactly the coolant temperature in the block. If in doubt, hook up an OBDII scanner with real time data and you can observe the temperature climb on both at the same time

Old 11-07-2018, 02:09 PM

FType17 - Can you check your private message section?