F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat damaging the bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Just FYI; I have those longer hangers too and though my seat hasn't been damaged, the seat back has ripped the rubber on the hook.....I know you said they were going to set it but unless they set both the base and angle, it may still hit.

Dave

Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah i think i'll just be making sure i keep the seats away from it for now haha

Seems the base is set to now cut out if to far back but like you say if the angle of the seat is to reclined then yes it will still reverse into the bulkhead. Although now with this longer hook it will only damage the hook and not the finish on the the bulkhead.

Thanks to all for the input

Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Good result! Glad you got it sorted

Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

As this problem has been successfully analyzed and solved (good work all), I thought I'd throw out another "passenger" problem: when some passengers get out they scrape their shoes on the vinyl threshold trim along the bottom of the door opening, scratching the vinyl. Also, sometimes hitting the speaker or lower part of the door. Short (pun intended) of only allowing those with short legs has anyone dealt with this issue? I was thinking I may need interior xpel or something protective?

Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
As this problem has been successfully analyzed and solved (good work all), I thought I'd throw out another "passenger" problem: when some passengers get out they scrape their shoes on the vinyl threshold trim along the bottom of the door opening, scratching the vinyl. Also, sometimes hitting the speaker or lower part of the door. Short (pun intended) of only allowing those with short legs has anyone dealt with this issue? I was thinking I may need interior xpel or something protective?
Hey jaguny. Unfortunately I think that that happens to all of us from time to time (it even happens to me every now and then). How about my wife shutting the door with the seat belt in the way? That was good for a couple of nice, if small, nicks in the sill. S*^t happens.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Hey jaguny. Unfortunately I think that that happens to all of us from time to time (it even happens to me every now and then). How about my wife shutting the door with the seat belt in the way? That was good for a couple of nice, if small, nicks in the sill. S*^t happens.
Hey, you guys solved the other problem nicely. I am respectfully rejecting your reply

Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Well...I certainly wouldn't recommend wrapping the speaker grille.
As that grille includes the entirety of the problematic area, I'm certain there is not much you can do. If the issue is further back, you could cover the panel section just below the door pocket.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

I think the bigger issue is the black plastic threshold. I wonder what it would look like sprayed with black plastidip or I could insist passengers take off their shoes.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Just FYI; I have those longer hangers too and though my seat hasn't been damaged, the seat back has ripped the rubber on the hook.....I know you said they were going to set it but unless they set both the base and angle, it may still hit.

Dave
I thought it was my dry cleaning that did that, but the top of the rubber has ripped off in mine, as well. It's dangling and hanging on, but I can't use it so I bet I just rip the rubber part off and call it a day.

This is what is called a design flaw.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Thanks for the input, at least i now know that it's not a issue with the seat motor stops and it could potentially do the same to your car.

You would think they would be tested and designed to not cause damage at all. There is obviously some design consideration as the seat fits round the coat hook when moved to the rear.
Unfortunately, this is not..'exactly' accurate. While the designed space in the rear of the seat "can" move around the coat hook, it can only do so IF and when the seat is raised substantially higher than a "normal" seating position. With the seat in it's lowest position essentially sitting on the floorboards, there appears to be over an inch and a half of space between the seat and the bulkhead behind the seat. Those with longer legs will want to "reclaim" that space. (See attached images)

This limitation appears to be due to the design of the "coat hook" pushing the seat back forward due to the seat back design (e.g. the gap does not extend high enough on the seat to permit the hook space so... the hook just ends up pushing on the back of the seat forcing a more upright position that would be ideal).

My question is "Has anyone REMOVED that pesky coat hook all together so that those of us with long torso bodies can have the seat at its LOWEST position AND also have it pushed all the way back"?

PS - After reading the balance of the posts in this thread I decided that removing it would be... shall we say.... "un-wise".
After a fair amount of time tweaking the settings I think I have recovered a lot of the empty space behind the seat without having to raise the seat any higher than necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Seat damaging the bulkhead-pushes-back.jpg   Seat damaging the bulkhead-fully-inserted.jpg  

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-22-2017 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (12-22-2017)