Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solution for water getting in near spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts
Default solution for water getting in near spark plugs

Made a home remedy for water or dampness getting into the spark plug area or near the plastic matting around this area . i had at first got to thinking of fabricating some kind of metal shield that could be fastened down , but the mind took over and i came up with rubber lol . I simply cut up a cheap piece of rubber car matt that you would put inside the cars foot well to put your feet on . about 6inch x 18inch . Punched 2 holes and took of the engine cover , then using cable ties secured at both ends , done same at both sides of engine bay , this will also alloy heat to get out much easier with out the engine cover being present , No heat soak . pictures to follow once rain has gone

Old 10-02-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 224 Posts

Perhaps it is possible for water to get near the plugs if a car is parked in torrents of drenching rain or driven in semi-flooded streets.
However, when I wash my car with a vigorous hose jet, there is never resulting water on top of the engine shield, so presumably none near the plugs.
Surely, if water did get near that area, engine heat would be enough to dry out any moisture?
Also, if water got that near to the plugs wouldn't it also result in misfires?
OTH, complaints about broken coolant lines causinng corrosion are perhaps different in that coolant may not evaporate as easily as water.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Perhaps it is possible for water to get near the plugs if a car is parked in torrents of drenching rain or driven in semi-flooded streets.
However, when I wash my car with a vigorous hose jet, there is never resulting water on top of the engine shield, so presumably none near the plugs.
Surely, if water did get near that area, engine heat would be enough to dry out any moisture?
Also, if water got that near to the plugs wouldn't it also result in misfires?
OTH, complaints about broken coolant lines causinng corrosion are perhaps different in that coolant may not evaporate as easily as water.
over in the good ole UK it rains a lot compared to you lucky guys in the states . Yes the heat dries this out and yes this thread is mostly pointed to the area about the coolant lines , but it improves the dampness issue about this black matting , not about the cooling issue . It stops the small amount of rain getting in to the black matting and keeping it damp over prolonged periods such as when not in use And also lets the owner not to use the engine cover which can help divert the water or rain away from this area , mechanic at main jaguar dealer had said always keep your engine cover on , it stops the water getting in to spark plug are , still to take a photo as rain and family life have got in the way this weekend. But I will. Ps also allows the removal of engine cover for the heat from engine to escape

Last edited by George05; 10-03-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Pics of this mod , covers on both sides . it covers the black matting as seen in photo 2 . Engine cover can be placed on or left of to allow heat from engine to get out . You can clearly see rain drops on the new black mod , so its doing its job

Last edited by George05; 10-04-2021 at 07:25 AM.