XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water, water, everywhere (body freeze plugs?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Water, water, everywhere (body freeze plugs?)

Hello!
Two questions:
1) After driving in the rain recently, I noticed the passenger side carpet was getting damp. Pulled it up and there was a fair amount of water. It looks like there are plugs in the bottom of the body that are leaking (can clearly see them pulled away underneath the car...what are they, should I replace them, or is there something I could use to just "re-caulk" them?

2) I also have some water in my doors...where should I be looking for leaks and/or are there drain holes on the bottom of the doors I might need to unclog?

Thank you very much!

Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

I have never heard of water entering a car from Underneath unless said car was driven through a stream. As you just drove the car in the rain, that's a good solid clue. If this was my car, I would start looking for windshield leaks; the tell-tale streaks under the dash on the bulkhead. It's far more likely the cause of your wet carpet.

Your plugs are pulled away from the body because of old rust, caused by water sitting there for a very long time. Again, probably caused by a leaking windshield seam.

There are drains in the bottom of the doors, which over time get clogged with dirt and spiders etc. You'll need to get on a creeper to see them. Then, inserting a stiff wire up into the holes and wiggling vigorously will help clear them.

It's between the rubber seal and the edge of the door.
(';')

Old 08-31-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

I agree with LnrB, It appears that the water has been sitting long enough to have caused rust in the plug depressions in the floor. Plugs will not leak to that degree.

My guess is that you have windscreen leaks on the corners of the front windscreen opening.. I would check to see if the rear windscreen corners are leaking as well. Is the rear parcel shelf showing signs of having been wet for awhile ??

What people do not seem to realize is;.. if the water is coming from the front windscreen corners, it is also dripping down behind the dash board and the presence of moisture in that area promotes corrosion on the electrical connections. relays, etc.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-31-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 AM
Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Benji,

Looking at your photo's it looks like a previous owner has replaced or at least inserted new plugs into the existing plug holes at some point and used silicone sealer to fix them in.

The water looks too clean to have found its' way in from the underside.

Also don't discount a blocked a/c evaporator drain which will dump cold water into the passenger foot well too.

Good luck getting to the bottom of your troubles.

Cheers,

Nigel