F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splash Guards for F type

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 01:56 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Splash Guards for F type

Looking all over the internet trying to find splash guards (pick up trucks call them mud guards!) for my '21 F type R. There's a number of Jaguar car dealers that advertise parts, but I can't understand and navigate thru their web site. Tried some other reputable parts suppliers, but most don't deal with Jaguar parts and the few that did, had no splash guards available. I know I tried to get them from the Jag dealer when I bought the car new (2 years ago), but they checked and said none were available from Jaguar. I'm still chasing my tail on this one, can anyone solve this ridiculous mystery? Thanks!!

Old 01-22-2023, 04:33 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I'm sure (though obviously not) that some folks on here fitted XKR mud flaps (as we in the UK call them) with some success.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:52 PM
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Some of us added front splash guards to match the splash guards that come stock on the back. Details are in the thread below. I am not certain if there is a difference between the '21 and the older models as far as splash guards are concerned.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...guards-231957/

Old 01-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I added the XXR ones, but I now see these too:
https://www.velozdesigns.com/product...spl-black-mill

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by cpq100
Some of us added front splash guards to match the splash guards that come stock on the back. Details are in the thread below. I am not certain if there is a difference between the '21 and the older models as far as splash guards are concerned.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...guards-231957/
I'm confused with your response regarding rear splash guards...it may be because of the year of your F type. Mine is a 2021 F type R and there are NO splash guards on any of the 4 wheels. I spoke with my Jag dealer and after looking, the Parts guys said that Jaguar does not make or sell splash guards for the F type. Didn't like that response, so I called Land Rover/Jaguar of America. The answer I got was the same as the dealer's, none made or sold by Jaguar dealers. Not happy about those answers at all. I'm now hunting for aftermarket guards, but not thrilled with putting aftermarket guards on. I guess if this was a pick-em-up truck, who cares....but the F type, I care!

Old 01-24-2023, 04:13 PM
Received 400 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I'm confused with your response regarding rear splash guards...it may be because of the year of your F type. Mine is a 2021 F type R and there are NO splash guards on any of the 4 wheels.
They should be there on the rear. You're probably not seeing them as they are not traditional "splash guards" as you would find on a pickup or SUV. Instead, they are thin strips of black plastic that run down the back edge of each rear wheel well, just barely sticking out from the body, and not hanging down and underneath the body like you see with traditional splash guards. You can see them here on this 2021 F-Type R:

While small, it does keep some of the spray off the rear of the car. This thread is about putting something similar on the rear edge of the front wheel wells.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:01 PM

If you look at the link in my earlier reply you can see plenty of pictures of the "splash guards" that we added to the front. They match the ones on the rear perfectly. Definitely not splash guards in the traditional sense though. The parts we installed are officially listed as "quarter edge trim".

Old 01-24-2023, 07:45 PM

If you look at the link in my earlier reply you can see plenty of pictures of the "splash guards" that we added to the front. They match the ones on the rear perfectly. Definitely not splash guards in the traditional sense though. The parts we installed are officially listed as "quarter edge trim".
You could be right., I'll have to peel the car cover off the back end and check it out...I did it by feel under the car cover prior to answering your post and couldn't feel anything. Regardless, having mini splash guards as these look in your pictures, that's not what I am looking for. I live in the NE USA, and during the harsh winter months, the roads are quite often laced with salt crystals (junks) and anti skid (small rocks/stones/slag , BB sized). These tend to stay on the roads well after the snow and ice are gone and usually are present through June. From July on, your OK again until December (unless the highway department decides to tar and chip roads) and the story then repeats itself. Cars like the Jaguar with big, wide, softer tires (for performance, of course!) that extend even small amounts past the wheel wells will throw this debris up on the side of the car and where it gets most vicious is the front tires, where the debris gets thrown up along the side of the car and attacks the area just in front of the rear wheel wells. It's like buck shot hammering that area and the paint get's beaten up quite badly. Most commonly you see it on Corvettes probably because there's so many of them on the road and you can easily see the damage. The solution is a true set of splash guards...not necessarily "mud flaps", but guards that stick out maybe 1". They really work and prevent damage about 90-95% of the time. The rear wheels need them as well, but the front wheels really creates more damage to your paint job. It's totally ridiculous that Jaguar doesn't have them for the F model in their Parts bin, IMO!

Old 01-24-2023, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
You could be right., I'll have to peel the car cover off the back end and check it out...I did it by feel under the car cover prior to answering your post and couldn't feel anything. Regardless, having mini splash guards as these look in your pictures, that's not what I am looking for. I live in the NE USA, and during the harsh winter months, the roads are quite often laced with salt crystals (junks) and anti skid (small rocks/stones/slag , BB sized). These tend to stay on the roads well after the snow and ice are gone and usually are present through June. From July on, your OK again until December (unless the highway department decides to tar and chip roads) and the story then repeats itself. Cars like the Jaguar with big, wide, softer tires (for performance, of course!) that extend even small amounts past the wheel wells will throw this debris up on the side of the car and where it gets most vicious is the front tires, where the debris gets thrown up along the side of the car and attacks the area just in front of the rear wheel wells. It's like buck shot hammering that area and the paint get's beaten up quite badly. Most commonly you see it on Corvettes probably because there's so many of them on the road and you can easily see the damage. The solution is a true set of splash guards...not necessarily "mud flaps", but guards that stick out maybe 1". They really work and prevent damage about 90-95% of the time. The rear wheels need them as well, but the front wheels really creates more damage to your paint job. It's totally ridiculous that Jaguar doesn't have them for the F model in their Parts bin, IMO!
Go back to post #4 and check out the linked Veloz Designs splash guards, they might be exactly what you are looking for.
I am also interested in these but I would like someone else to be the guinea pig before I buy!
One reason for that is the installation instructions pdf won't load for me so I am not sure exactly how they are meant to be fitted (they say some 3M double sided tape and one screw) but I would like to know more about that screw.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Go back to post #4 and check out the linked Veloz Designs splash guards, they might be exactly what you are looking for.
I am also interested in these but I would like someone else to be the guinea pig before I buy!
One reason for that is the installation instructions pdf won't load for me so I am not sure exactly how they are meant to be fitted (they say some 3M double sided tape and one screw) but I would like to know more about that screw.
OzXFR, I would be happy to be your guinea pig with Veloz. I already tried to call him but he must have closed up his shop for the day (called at my time which is his time, as well, at 5:00pm). I left him a message that I wanted to discus his splash guards, although it looks like he only offers them for the front wheels. I really did want them for all four wheels, but I'll see what he says. As for the installation, I guess I could live with double sided tape, I'd see this as a sort of gasket, but would never, ever, feel comfortable with a single screw for this guard. I'd want at lease 4 or 5 screws, just depends on the length of his guard and how it sets in the wheel well. I'm really over the edge on splash guards in my area. I've had the dealers in my last 5 new cars install them and they really do help the situation. I just bought a new Genesis GV70 with 21" wheels and had the factory splash guards installed and they've been great, well worth the price. I'll keep you posted.....

OzXFR (01-24-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 06:52 AM

Have you considered having paint protection film (PPF) installed either with or without splash guards for extra protection from salt, anti skid material, stone chips, etc? There are lots of posts on the forum about PPF. A popular choice on the forum is Xpel Ultimate Plus.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:25 PM

Have you considered having paint protection film (PPF) installed either with or without splash guards for extra protection from salt, anti skid material, stone chips, etc? There are lots of posts on the forum about PPF. A popular choice on the forum is Xpel Ultimate Plus.
Thanks for responding on this issue. Yes, I have the car quite protected as far as coatings go. One week after I picked this new car up (odometer was about 50 miles) I took it to a very high end detailing shop and I had the car completely filmed with XPEL Ultimate and then had the car completely coated with Ceramic Pro. This detailing shop is very well know and has a customer base who bring him all kinds of the "big boy" cars. My brand new F type R was in a shop of new Lambos, Ferraris, Aston Martins and Bentleys. In fact, the only reason they take me as a customer is because the owner's mother was my secretary for many years, so I fortunately have an inside track! Anyway, as good as the car looks and is "protected", this garbage debris that I previously mentioned, really does take it's toll on the car. Driving it even after the snow is gone, you can hear all that crap being thrown up in the wheel wells and rattling around. The film and coating certainly is better than nothing, but it doesn't cure the problem. You really need splash guards that stick out about 3/4" to 1" to solve the problem.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:02 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 01-27-2023, 03:36 PM

Photo show my answer to problem. Car wrapped with Expel, but road detritus abrading that as well, particularly on rocker panels side skirts and rear fender. Installing small plastic rear fender lips more aesthetic but not really effective. Flaps are not touching bodywork, modified and formed rallyart mud flaps fitted to rear portion of inner fender liner. Held in place by present Phillips head machine screw and added aviation type slip on nut plate installed on fender liner adjacent to but not touching metal fender lip. Two layers of expel applied to edge of metal fender lip to protect against sand etc getting between fender and flap. Easy to remove if nessesary. Mud flap formed to desired contour on sheet metal brake. My car is black so the flaps don’t stand out. Cured abrasion problem and keeps side skirts much cleaner. Can tour and rip through back roads with less chance of damage.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:22 PM

They look pretty neat, SJ, did you buy something pre-made or did you just buy a flap that could be cut and trimmed to your desecration? Are the bolted in place, or did you use some type of adhesive or tape, or even both? And it looks like you didn't do anything for the rear tires, or did you? Are you finding that these front flaps are all but eliminating the hateful blasting the side skirts and sides of the car get in the absence of any splash guards?

Old 01-29-2023, 09:00 AM

Bought rally art flaps as stated. Cut inner edge profile to my specs. The large Phillips head machine screw is part of the cars normal equipment that secures the aft portion of the fender liner. Used that as primary support for flap. As stated used an aviation type nut plate clip slipped onto the fender liner where I chose to attach the upper part of the mud flap. Drilled a small hole in the fender liner so a small machine screw positioned near the top of the flap could screw into the nut plate now secured to the fender liner. Mud flap was contoured to the profile of the aft portion of the inner fender liner ( it’s not flat). I used a sheet metal brake to create the Ben’s but you could use two 2X4s, a clamp and a little muscle to achieve the same thing.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SJones
Bought rally art flaps as stated. Cut inner edge profile to my specs. The large Phillips head machine screw is part of the cars normal equipment that secures the aft portion of the fender liner. Used that as primary support for flap. As stated used an aviation type nut plate clip slipped onto the fender liner where I chose to attach the upper part of the mud flap. Drilled a small hole in the fender liner so a small machine screw positioned near the top of the flap could screw into the nut plate now secured to the fender liner. Mud flap was contoured to the profile of the aft portion of the inner fender liner ( it’s not flat). I used a sheet metal brake to create the Ben’s but you could use two 2X4s, a clamp and a little muscle to achieve the same thing.
Okay, I have to admit that I'm confused. IMHO, your installation is perhaps the best solution I've seen for diverting debris and protecting the side of the car,.. and is very well done. Congrats!

On the other hand, I've been unsuccessfully blistering my fingertips trying to find 'rally art' mud flaps using internet access and an old keyboard.

I've found "Ralliart" flaps, but they're only made for a particular model of Mitsubishi Colts.

I've also found the "Rally Armor" website, which makes mud flaps specific for many different vehicles. But, sadly, not an F-Type. They do, however, make various implementation of "Universal" flaps - including some done with less expensive (and more rigid) poly-blend as well as with a thicker, more flexible (and more expensive) urethane.

So, please, could you be more specific in what basic product you started with, a/w/a perhaps a source? Are yours Rally Armor, or something else? Many thanks!!

HermanWiegman (09-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:34 PM

My error, maybe it was rally armor, it’s been a few years and I looked at the flaps to see if there were any markings left on them ( I mounted the flap so the brand name was on the tire side) but it was long obscured. I picked these in particular as they would hold their shape after they were “folded” into the contour I wanted.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:51 PM

Here are some more photos-one shows the wheel well view, the large screw at the bottom is original, the small upper screw was added by me and connects to the plastic fender liner via the aviation nut plate clip ( also pictured). The tape measure shows how low the lower edge of the mud flap can be, any lower and yo may have problems with speed bumps. At least the flap is flexible. You can see how the flap was formed to fit flush against the back of the wheel well. I trimmed the flap so it would not only protect the body work but also the steel braces mounted just behind the front wheels- it works great for that too!