F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards

Steering wheel swap S to R

 
  #1  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 AM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering wheel swap S to R

So I finally got my car back after being gone for three weeks at the dealer. Long laundry list of items being repaired and warranty claims etc etc. Long story short a visit prior one of the techs scratched the Leather on my wheel, so I asked them to replace it, they told me they would take a wheel of a new F type in Inventory and put it on mine. So Yesterday I go to pick up my car, everything looks good, about 75% of what I asked to be done was done, so above average for my dealer. I go to sit inside and Notice I have an R insignia on my wheel, Not only that, but My plastic paddles are gone and in place are the Silver aluminum ones I always liked, but were $500 to buy from the dealer. Bad part is that the wheel wasn't new, prob almost the same condition as the old one, but I do like the new paddles and this is probably just in my Head, but the leather feels nicer on this wheel. So here is my dilemma, They offered to find another Wheel off a V6, but Do I keep this one? The feel and Paddles are nice, but what about the R insignia, I don't have an R but it 100% looks better, wish mine had an S. What would you guys do?




 
  #2  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 AM
Tp10XKR's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Wales, PA. USA
Posts: 133
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Was your old wheel a flat bottom wheel as well? If not, I’d keep that wheel and look for the replacement trim piece to get rid of the “R”.
 
  #3  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Mahjik's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 567
Received 103 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR View Post
Was your old wheel a flat bottom wheel as well? If not, I’d keep that wheel and look for the replacement trim piece to get rid of the “R”.
+1
 
  #4  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Nati's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,296
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Whatever you do don't keep that R emblem in a V6. Smacks of all those dorks that glue Z06 badges on their base model vettes.
 
  #5  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 AM
RickyJay52's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,785
Received 733 Likes on 502 Posts
Default

Although he could always tell someone that the “R” stands for “Replacement”. (That’s a reply I would expect from DJS). Funny how the dealership (even offered to take a new wheel off a new car) put an “R” on your “S”. Nati is right, in that you should - and it should be easily found - simply replace just the badge to the/your correct auto.
 
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-11-2019)
  #6  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RickyJay52 View Post
Although he could always tell someone that the “R” stands for “Replacement”. (That’s a reply I would expect from DJS). Funny how the dealership (even offered to take a new wheel off a new car) put an “R” on your “S”. Nati is right, in that you should - and it should be easily found - simply replace just the badge to the/your correct auto.

I would love too get an S badge, but do they make one, I don't think I've ever seen an S with that badge. and yes my prior wheel was a flat bottom as well, but had no badge.
 
  #7  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM
RickyJay52's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,785
Received 733 Likes on 502 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype View Post
I would love too get an S badge, but do they make one, I don't think I've ever seen an S with that badge. and yes my prior wheel was a flat bottom as well, but had no badge.
Come to think of it, you might be right. I have an “S” with no emblem. I’m sure there are “parts” gurus on this Forum who can direct you, assuming there is an “S” badge out there. (Rare though they are, I was able to get a new OEM “S8” badge for my Audi).

Good luck!

P.S. assuming there is no “S” badge out there, and depending on how OCD you are, I personally wouldn’t want an “R” on my “S”. IMO.
 

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-10-2019 at 10:25 AM.
  #8  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 AM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RickyJay52 View Post
Come to think of it, you might be right. I have an “S” with no emblem. I’m sure there are “parts” gurus on this Forum who can direct you, assuming there is an “S” badge out there. (Rare though they are, I was able to get a new OEM “S8” badge for my Audi).

Good luck!

P.S. assuming there is no “S” badge out there, and depending on how OCD you are, I personally wouldn’t want an “R” on my “S”. IMO.
Me neither it starting to bug me already, I do like the Paddles tho... If I can't find one I may have to get it custom made
 
  #9  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RickyJay52 View Post
Come to think of it, you might be right. I have an “S” with no emblem. I’m sure there are “parts” gurus on this Forum who can direct you, assuming there is an “S” badge out there. (Rare though they are, I was able to get a new OEM “S8” badge for my Audi).

Good luck!

P.S. assuming there is no “S” badge out there, and depending on how OCD you are, I personally wouldn’t want an “R” on my “S”. IMO.

Check Jag website with configurator. No S badge. Just on the R, however, they offer the Checkered Flag edition on the V6, and that has a badge, a checkered flag, the whole steering wheel is nice, Alcantara with the Red Marker. Maybe they can order that piece and just put that in, it would be better then the R.
 
  #10  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,861
Received 324 Likes on 207 Posts
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post

Thanks man, that looks like it may work! hopefully it will fit the factory space.
 
  #12  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,861
Received 324 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype View Post
Thanks man, that looks like it may work! hopefully it will fit the factory space.

It might, Another option is to go to a good decal shop, they make copy of the proper S decal and you could lay it over the R one,
 
  #13  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Nati's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,296
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Does that replacement wheel have a carbon fiber trim? Since when was that an option?
 
  #14  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Unhingd's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 13,805
Received 3,246 Likes on 2,447 Posts
Default

Isn’t an S the same as an R-Dynamic? So what’s the problem here?
 
  #15  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 PM
Nati's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,296
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Isn’t an S the same as an R-Dynamic? So what’s the problem here?
Because we live in a society! There are rules, man!
 
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-11-2019)
  #16  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 8,364
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,216 Posts
Default

Hate to burst your bubble, but those are the standard plastic paddles in silver finish, not the solid aluminium ones.

The aluminum ones are taller and the + & - are cut out, that you can see through them.
 
  #17  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:26 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,084
Received 1,153 Likes on 962 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
Yep, I have that exact badge on my steering wheel.
Looks pretty good for an el cheapo non-factory item especially as there is no such thing as an S factory steering wheel badge, I doubt anyone else who gets in my car would have a clue it is not OEM.
Looks to me to be the exact right size and shape to go over the OP's R badge so definitely worth a try at that price.
 
  #18  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:50 PM
RickyJay52's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,785
Received 733 Likes on 502 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nati View Post
Because we live in a society! There are rules, man!
Some of us like to live outside of the box...and society! Who are you, George Costanza? Besides, anyone who converts his V6 into a V8 - among many other modifications - definitely doesn’t live by [many] rules. Other than that stupid front license plate rule in Maryland; and even then he can’t quite abide. There’s a reason he goes by Unhingd. And thank God he does!

Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but those are the standard plastic paddles in silver finish, not the solid aluminium ones.

The aluminum ones are taller and the + & - are cut out, that you can see through them.
So much for liking the “fake” aluminum paddles. On the other hand, someone - might as well be someone of Cambo’s caliber - “bursting someone’s bubble”, only helps in the end. The truth shall set you free!
 

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-10-2019 at 09:27 PM.
  #19  
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RickyJay52 View Post
Some of us like to live outside of the box...and society! Who are you, George Costanza? Besides, anyone who converts his V6 into a V8 - among many other modifications - definitely doesn’t live by [many] rules. Other than that stupid front license plate rule in Maryland; and even then he can’t quite abide. There’s a reason he goes by Unhingd. And thank God he does!



So much for liking the “fake” aluminum paddles. On the other hand, someone - might as well be someone of Cambo’s caliber - “bursting someone’s bubble”, only helps in the end. The truth shall set you free!

Oh well, I think they feel a lot better then the factory black ones mine came with.
 
  #20  
Old 07-15-2019, 12:03 PM
StormtrooperFtype's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nati View Post
Does that replacement wheel have a carbon fiber trim? Since when was that an option?

Sadly no haha, I wish they offered a carbon wheel like the Gulia or the new AMG's. I found this piece on amazon
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
carzaddict
XF and XFR ( X250 )
3
08-24-2016 03:35 PM
weisberg
XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 )
2
11-04-2014 08:46 PM
Maninahat98
XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 )
3
08-08-2013 03:10 PM
deaddog
XJ ( X351 )
9
09-13-2011 03:14 PM
Humy
X-Type ( X400 )
2
09-26-2007 01:15 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap S to R


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: