F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STO N SHO hidden license plate bracket...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I bought the Sto n sho after seeing it on here; it looks much better than the stock location IMO.....plus I'm eliminating the grill bar so had to come up with something.

As everyone has said, it's a high quality pce that's easy to remove and re-install and it's a better option than the tow hook solution as others have said.

My personal plan is to run with the plate off, leave it in the trunk and pull it out if I get pulled over.....which is probably unlikely here.

2 cents,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The off center tow hook mount is kinda cool on a goofy looking MINI (which I have), but looks like a temporary dealer plate hastily mounted to an F-Type.

Look more closely at post #186. It has a frame. The bracket is strong enough to serve as bumper protection during slow speed curb contact.
Hey UNHNGD, I saw the europlate you have in the front. Do you think that mounting that plate on the front will prevent tickets, fix-it or otherwise? I like the low profile aspect of it but even with the state flag on the plate, will a cop accept that as fulfilling ones obligation to carry a front plate? I really prefer it but at the same time, I don't want to perpetuate the constant dog / cat endless chase with cops and if having the europlate is basically the same thing legally as not having a plate at all then I'd pass on it.

I'm starting to lean towards Foosh after his last post answering my queries and feel that hell, if the mount is low and doesn't interfere with the front end too much, just leave the F*#&$*% plate on and live with it. 2 minutes to slide it off when taking pics or showing her. I'm with that....buying one! At the end of the day, It's only $45 more than the tow hookie.

You guys are more juiced about this plate holder than any other mod in the last three months. I gotta see what the satisfaction quota is here.

Also Foosh on another note, I need the key to getting the adapter set group buy. Is there a code? Now thats something I can get excited about!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-14-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Default Baaahhh, Baaaahhhh (sheep sounds)

Sto & Go!

Attached Thumbnails STO N SHO hidden license plate bracket...-img_6718.jpg  
Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Polaris....have you driven your car yet or just customizing?��

Old 06-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Polaris....have you driven your car yet or just customizing?��
Daily driver. Just like making it happen.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Go for it!

Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Hey UNHNGD, I saw the europlate you have in the front. Do you think that mounting that plate on the front will prevent tickets, fix-it or otherwise? I like the low profile aspect of it but even with the state flag on the plate, will a cop accept that as fulfilling ones obligation to carry a front plate? I really prefer it but at the same time, I don't want to perpetuate the constant dog / cat endless chase with cops and if having the europlate is basically the same thing legally as not having a plate at all then I'd pass on it.

I'm starting to lean towards Foosh after his last post answering my queries and feel that hell, if the mount is low and doesn't interfere with the front end too much, just leave the F*#&$*% plate on and live with it. 2 minutes to slide it off when taking pics or showing her. I'm with that....buying one! At the end of the day, It's only $45 more than the tow hookie.

You guys are more juiced about this plate holder than any other mod in the last three months. I gotta see what the satisfaction quota is here.

Also Foosh on another note, I need the key to getting the adapter set group buy. Is there a code? Now thats something I can get excited about!
Except for the Euro profile plate, my strategy is identical to Foosh's. As residents of Maryland, both Foosh and I have learned the hard way that front plate enforcement is a priority. The Euro profile is an experiment on my part. I have successfully run this plate for a year now and have noticed troopers or county mounties eyeballing the plate on at least 3 occasions and not pursuing after checking out the back of my car.

The plate is not even remotely legal, as plates generally must be issued by the state. However, given the size of the letters (larger than normal), it more than serves the intended purpose of a front plate. I believe that is why I have not yet been pulled over.

There was no discount code for the adapters. The 25% discount was given based on the fabricator being able to produce 5 or 6 sets at the same time to bring down the fabricating costs. The list price was $240 for the set ($180 discount price) They may still have one or two sets left in stock and you might still be able to get the discount. Also, if you go back to that original group buy thread, you could pm the original buyers to see if any want to sell their set.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thx4info

Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Polaris,

The group buy on the 15mm spacers Unhingd gave you the info on was close to 2 years ago. One of the earliest members here who is no longer part of the F-Type community figured out all the specs and had the company custom build them for him. When they worked out well, it was posted here, and we needed at least 10 people to qualify for the group buy. We easily got that number, but there was no "group-buy code."

I ended up not using them because I didn't want to lower my car, and I didn't think they looked right at the OEM height. I sold them at a discount to Unhingd. I don't think the difference in group buy price was more than $40 under what you can order them for yourself.

They are very high-quality pieces, and yes, for your own good don't put anything on that car that isn't hub-centric.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-15-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Except for the Euro profile plate, my strategy is identical to Foosh's. As residents of Maryland, both Foosh and I have learned the hard way that front plate enforcement is a priority. The Euro profile is an experiment on my part. I have successfully run this plate for a year now and have noticed troopers or county mounties eyeballing the plate on at least 3 occasions and not pursuing after checking out the back of my car.

The plate is not even remotely legal, as plates generally must be issued by the state. However, given the size of the letters (larger than normal), it more than serves the intended purpose of a front plate. I believe that is why I have not yet been pulled over.

There was no discount code for the adapters. The 25% discount was given based on the fabricator being able to produce 5 or 6 sets at the same time to bring down the fabricating costs. The list price was $240 for the set ($180 discount price) They may still have one or two sets left in stock and you might still be able to get the discount. Also, if you go back to that original group buy thread, you could pm the original buyers to see if any want to sell their set.
Err umm . . . I believe you got that idea from somewhere, let me see . . .

I ran that plate for 4 years between 2006-10, and was never pulled over. I think LEOs recognized that I was trying to comply w/ the law because they recognized it was a legit MD plate number.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Err umm . . . I believe you got that idea from somewhere, let me see . . ..
+1. No err umms about it. That's exactly where I got the idea from. Figured if it worked for you, it might work for me. And it has so far. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

They are very high-quality pieces, and yes, for your own good don't put anything on that car that isn't hub-centric.
What Po;aris has is technically hub-centric and was probably sold as such. Where it falls short is that it is not also wheel-centric. The Motorsport Tech website also sells the flat spacers as hub-centric. Here are their 2 options:

Hub Centric to Vehicle Hub
Fits hub perfectly tight.

Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Vehicle Wheel
Fits hub perfectly tight and, where wheel bolts to adapter, a custom machined adapter lip fits perfectly tight into wheel's center hole. This extra measure positively influences the ride and kills vibration. Highly recommended for newer vehicles and those which will be used for towing.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

What Po;aris has is technically hub-centric and was probably sold as such. Where it falls short is that it is not also wheel-centric. The Motorsport Tech website also sells the flat spacers as hub-centric. Here are their 2 options:

Hub Centric to Vehicle Hub
Fits hub perfectly tight.

Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Vehicle Wheel
Fits hub perfectly tight and, where wheel bolts to adapter, a custom machined adapter lip fits perfectly tight into wheel's center hole. This extra measure positively influences the ride and kills vibration. Highly recommended for newer vehicles and those which will be used for towing.
Bravo, my man UNHINGD. Somebody finally gets exactly what I'm saying!

I was going to get all into this but I decided not to because I didn't want to get into semantics when I knew what the moderator was trying to point out. Thanks for clarifying that my spacers are his centric but not wheel centric. If were going to write the novel on the subject, we should be clear as to what the technical terms really are.

At the end of the day, after giving it some thought, I do agree that for performance cars such as ours, a "wheel centric" spacer is indeed the way to go.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-15-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

+1. No err umms about it. That's exactly where I got the idea from. Figured if it worked for you, it might work for me. And it has so far. Thanks.
BTW, I don't think I've mentioned this to you before, but I had my legal strategy all thought out and intended to test the law, just for the fun of it. It hinged upon the statute which says must "display plates issued by the state."

If it had come down to fighting a no front plate citation, my argument would have been that the intent of the statute was to display plate NUMBERS issued by the state, and that I was in compliance. Moreover, my plate number was displayed more prominently and legibly for LEOs than the plates manufactured by the state.

Also parenthetically, I "McGivered" a crude Sto-N-Sho solution by getting 2 L-brackets from Home Depot, bolting one to each side of the Euro plate, and using heavy-duty velcro on the under tray, and L-brackets to attach to the car. I used a black zip-tie to secure it at the top. It never budged.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-15-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

It hinged upon the statute which says must "display plates issued by the state."
My strategy is unhingd upon the same premise. (ok...I'll go back on my meds now)

Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

LOL...

Dave

Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,079 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Here's a shot of my tow-hook mount in use. It's high quality, and has a lot of adjustment capability. But I bought it shortly before the Sho-n-Sto showed up. I put it on for the annual inspection, and will take it off when I next wash it.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Here's a shot of my tow-hook mount in use. It's high quality, and has a lot of adjustment capability. But I bought it shortly before the Sho-n-Sto showed up. I put it on for the annual inspection, and will take it off when I next wash it.

While I like the combination of [your] numbers and letters a lot, having that front plate is just plain WRONG. But I know you agree. Thank GOD it wasn't on for the Lobster Run.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
While I like the combination of [your] numbers and letters a lot, having that front plate is just plain WRONG. But I know you agree. Thank GOD it wasn't on for the Lobster Run.
Dave would have been banished from the clowder.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 857 Posts

Dave would have been banished from the clowder.
Thankfully, hanging around with us - a clowder; HA! - he's becoming a bit more unhinged.

Quick Reply: STO N SHO hidden license plate bracket...