Sponsored by:

V6 Crank pulley map

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V6 Crank pulley map

Hi
I’m fitting a crank pulley kit.

Anyone got a copy of a compatible map to get me going.

Am intending to fit it myself then get it dyno checked and fine tuned.

Any help appreciated.

Nick

Old 02-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I think you put the cart before the horse in old school speak.

Most of the tune shops (VAP etc) have tunes which will work with crank and/or upper pulley changes. I'm told the OEM tune won't know what to do about the extra boost and may throw you a CEL or two to signal confusion.

As the tunes are locked to a VIN and a hand held programmer, I'm not sure how you'd get or trust a "copy".

Full disclosure: I have a V6, crank pulley and VAP tune.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Doesn't really work that way on this platform, we don't have an open source tool compatible with these vehicles. How are you planning to get said file onto the vehicle? You're going to need to buy a tuner tool and every company offering them also includes a flash file tailored to your needs.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

+3. The crank pulley will throw a code, the OEM tune will not offer full benefit of the crank pulley, and the your specific OEM map will need to be pulled off and modified before it is downloaded back to your car. Velocity AP highly recommended.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

While on the subject, Unhingd how long have you been running the VAP crank pulley and tune now? I think I’m going to do both this summer but my only concern is that I’ll be tracking the car and no one on here seems to have tracked their pulley and tuned V6 yet.

Last edited by FR500GT; 02-18-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by v8mgbgt
Hi
I’m fitting a crank pulley kit.
Anyone got a copy of a compatible map to get me going.
Am intending to fit it myself then get it dyno checked and fine tuned.
Any help appreciated.
Nick
These aren't a Honda Civic so you aren't going to "find a map" that can be slapped into a computer and then programmed into your car... by you. Do yourself a favor and search this site for prior threads on "tuning" and you will find a WEALTH of people asking tuning questions.

Bottom line - It's going to cost you more than you think and will need to be done differently thank you think but it's VERY manageable when you choose a respected tuner (like VAP).

Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys...whats this about Paramount Performance offering a 15% Crank pulley. From all the posts I've read, I was under the impression that the Velocity and Eurotoys pulley was a large as they could get without rubbing the linkage. I will have to take a look at mine again, but I seem to remember that there wasn't much room there....btw...nitrous kit is coming along nicely...will post a full write up of the experience and install in about a month

Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FR500GT
While on the subject, Unhingd how long have you been running the VAP crank pulley and tune now? I think I’m going to do both this summer but my only concern is that I’ll be tracking the car and no one on here seems to have tracked their pulley and tuned V6 yet.
I've been on the VAP tune, Eurotoys' lower pulley (same size as VAP's) and Mina upper pulley for 18 mos/13k miles. The Mina upper pulley and another tune was on for 5k miles prior to that.

The following users liked this post:
FR500GT (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Guys...whats this about Paramount Performance offering a 15% Crank pulley. From all the posts I've read, I was under the impression that the Velocity and Eurotoys pulley was a large as they could get without rubbing the linkage.
I believe it is possible, but cutting it too close. That is only extending the radius by another 4mm, and I believe I still have that much room to play with.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've been on the VAP tune, Eurotoys' lower pulley (same size as VAP's) and Mina upper pulley for 18 mos/13k miles. The Mina upper pulley and another tune was on for 5k miles prior to that.
I know this is a difficult question to answer because everyone's definition of "hard driving" is different but how do you regularly drive the car? And how often is it being driven hard at high RPM's for an extended period of time?

Old 02-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I know this is a difficult question to answer because everyone's definition of "hard driving" is different but how do you regularly drive the car? And how often is it being driven hard at high RPM's for an extended period of time?
Good question. To add to this: any concerns about the fact that these pulleys have no damping, while the OEM one does? How might this affect engine life?
Coming from the LS engine community, I can tell you that damping on the crank pulley of those engines is pretty important.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Good question. To add to this: any concerns about the fact that these pulleys have no damping, while the OEM one does? How might this affect engine life?
Coming from the LS engine community, I can tell you that damping on the crank pulley of those engines is pretty important.
That's why we A. Balance our crank pulleys (not seen that done by any other company offering them) and B. Offer a Steel version - the additional mass of steel vs. aluminum will provide some mass damping effect.

We sell roughly 50/50 of each material.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

alphakinase (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I believe it is possible, but cutting it too close. That is only extending the radius by another 4mm, and I believe I still have that much room to play with.
Another consideration, and I'm saying this for general info because I know you already know this - anything beyond the pulley size we fit you will actually start to run into issues with a very touchy throttle, and secondly will start to overspeed the supercharger - for example the pulley setup you have, as we know is starting to run out of the efficiency range of the compressor. Really, an upper + lower is going to make some more mid range and not much more top end.

It would be similar fitting a slightly larger crank pulley. Really to go more than 450BHP would need a larger charger.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
That's why we A. Balance our crank pulleys (not seen that done by any other company offering them) and B. Offer a Steel version - the additional mass of steel vs. aluminum will provide some mass damping effect.

We sell roughly 50/50 of each material.
Thank you for the reply Stuart. That makes sense.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.

Isn't the purpose of damping to balance out harmonics in the engine and supercharger themselves? While I do think balancing the pulley can only help, I question whether that would balance out harmonics in the engine and SC. The additional mass might help too, but to what extent?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Thank you for the reply Stuart. That makes sense.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.

Isn't the purpose of damping to balance out harmonics in the engine and supercharger themselves? While I do think balancing the pulley can only help, I question whether that would balance out harmonics in the engine and SC. The additional mass might help too, but to what extent?
Yes, the OEM pulley's rubber 'sandwich' is to damper the vibrations between supercharger & engine. The OEM pulley is neutral balanced, so we do the same. Just best practises.

Remember, mass is a damper as well. Imagine hitting a cymbal or making it resonate with sound waves. Now imagine the same except the cymbal is twice as wide & 10x as thick.... That's on a different scale obviously.

We (nor anyone else aftermarket I suspect) has done any testing to see whether that mass equals the OEM damping effect.

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Another consideration, and I'm saying this for general info because I know you already know this - anything beyond the pulley size we fit you will actually start to run into issues with a very touchy throttle, and secondly will start to overspeed the supercharger - for example the pulley setup you have, as we know is starting to run out of the efficiency range of the compressor. Really, an upper + lower is going to make some more mid range and not much more top end.

It would be similar fitting a slightly larger crank pulley. Really to go more than 450BHP would need a larger charger.
+1 on all.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

I usually average 12-16 mpg when I go for a drive. Does that answer your question? Never upshift under 4000 RPM, and throttle input is limited by traction only. I’ve already blown up 3 (crappy) clutches. Yes... I drive it hard. (Not as hard as tracking it, though)

FR500GT (02-20-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=Unhingd;1845893]

I usually average 12-16 mpg when I go for a drive. Does that answer your question? Never upshift under 4000 RPM, and throttle input is limited by traction only. I’ve already blown up 3 (crappy) clutches. Yes... I drive it hard. (Not as hard as tracking it, though)
holy crap .... three!!!!

what was the downtime and labor cost to replace?
mine os slipping on hard launches every once in a while.

@Stuart...thanks for explaining the logic behind your decision on your crank pulley size. Stopped me from making an impulse buy...lol.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info.

I’m not using a handheld programmer.

I have all the soft and hardware to remap vehicles.
Was looking to fit my own crank pulley and download a compatable map so I could drive it to the tuners to get it setup specifically for my engine.

Once a map is downloaded to an ECU it can be copied. I believe the VIN locking is for dedicated handhelds. Unless I’m wrong about that.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:18 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

What's stopping you from driving it (sensibly) on the stock tune with the pulley fitted?

Answer: nothing

Quick Reply: V6 Crank pulley map