F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What command does the JLR SDD send to end session?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts
Question What command does the JLR SDD send to end session?

Posted this in tech, but couldn't get any real answers...does anyone know?

Hi all,

I'm working with a vendor of OBD interfaces to try to get to the bottom of the dreaded battery drain issue that the majority of F-Type owners experience with general OBD tools.

The issue manifests itself usually in the hazard warning triangle staying lit when the car has been immobilised/locked and subsequent battery drain as the Control Module seems to be still powered up.

There appears to be a string of info sent from SDD to end the session and close the car down and put it back into the same state that it was in at the beginning of the interrogation. This is not present in generic off the shelf OBD readers.

Can anybody help me in trying to work out what this may be????
I'm really keen to try to solve this, as many forum members have the same device that I'm using and it may just take a firmware update with this

Old 05-29-2019, 04:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I’ve never done anything with an OBD interface, but I would think there would be some sort of protocol sniffer you could use to capture the OBD traffic.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 375 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Tel

Originally Posted by DJS
I’ve never done anything with an OBD interface, but I would think there would be some sort of protocol sniffer you could use to capture the OBD traffic.

I think it would need some way of looking at the data string sent at the end of the interrogation session.
I'm particularly interested in this bit of information (I'm guessing a binary code) so that it can be added to OBD tools that the home DIY'er uses so that when you or I disconnect, the car is not left in a semi On state, that so many of the OBD tools seem to do.

I'm hoping that someone has the SDD tool and the necessary hardware to do this or can shed some light on it.
I have all the JLR manuals on the F-Type OBD protocols etc, but no where does it tell you how the car is 'closed down' after a session.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Interesting question. I contributed in the past to the RomRaider project. This is open source and was mostly targeting Subarus, but seems to be expanding into other brands now. When I get a little time I'll reacquaint myself with it. It can't sniff traffic, but the SSM protocol (Subaru Select Monitor) is well documented and there may be mention of a disconnect message. It's been a while since I poked around in that.

EDIT: The programming tool supplied by VAP does disconnect properly. Nothing else I've tried does. I haven't tried lots, but I have tried both ScanGauge and the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter tied to the Torque app.

Last edited by lizzardo; 05-30-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Interesting question. I contributed in the past to the RomRaider project. This is open source and was mostly targeting Subarus, but seems to be expanding into other brands now. When I get a little time I'll reacquaint myself with it. It can't sniff traffic, but the SSM protocol (Subaru Select Monitor) is well documented and there may be mention of a disconnect message. It's been a while since I poked around in that.

EDIT: The programming tool supplied by VAP does disconnect properly. Nothing else I've tried does. I haven't tried lots, but I have tried both ScanGauge and the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter tied to the Torque app.
Both of my iCarsoft OBD2 scan tools - i930 and LR V2.0 - have always fully disconnected.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:54 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I doubt that SDD sends a command to the car when ending a session, from what i have seen it's just ending the session in the program, mostly to save/record the session that it can be re-started later or the session analyzed by JLR HQ at a later date.

There are certainly some more complex commands sent to the car by SDD than by a low-end code reader.
For example clearing the codes with an aftermarket scan tool is done in a few seconds, with SDD it takes a minute or so and you need to cycle the ignition a few times.
Though that could be because a cheap scan tool is only clearing codes in the PCM, whereas SDD clears the codes in every module in the car.

I've personally never come across this battery drain issue in an F-Type, and i've worked on half a dozen of them or more...

Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
I've personally never come across this battery drain issue in an F-Type, and i've worked on half a dozen of them or more...
I've had it every time I used anything other than the VAP programmer. I think the body shop did too, since they had the dealer "reset the battery module."

Old 05-31-2019, 02:27 PM
Tel

There's quite a few references to the issue:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-drain-194058/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...nd-fix-195551/

So, these are the symptoms when using many OBD read/write dongles:

Once the comms (be it Bluetooth or WiFi or hardwire) have been disconnected and the ignition is switched off, the dongle is either removed or left in place.

The car is then locked (or double locked) via the key-fob, the hazard warning triangle and the small yellow LED's by the door lock/unlock switch on the doors remains illuminated. These should extinguish after a minute or so.

The LED's and Triangle can only be cleared with a full reboot (i.e disconnect and reconnect the battery +ve).

I'm assuming here that a module is left in limbo and not receiving the command to shut down, this is what I need to try to find out to pass onto the software guys in an attempt to resolve this issue - firmware can be written to hopefully sort this issue.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Tel

The VAP tool is good to go.

It's the Scantool LX we are having issues with. It seems to hang the cars' system and keeps the warning triangle and door lock LED's on.

I run with Torque Pro and Scantools running the extended PID's, and having done numerous tests, I'm 100% sure it's not the s/ware.