Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station - Page 26 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Old 10-06-2018, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman View Post
I would pay an enormous amount of money for all that you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on the find. I hope you help locals with diagnostics!!

bob
thank you,Bob, yes i'm very happy with this find, at this moment i'm trying to repair the docking station (ordered a replacement ATX power supply and fitted a separate laptop 16v/5A power supply)
Ivo helped me with a Jaguar/Aston Martin / Ford HDD to make the WDS more versatile and i soon will try the same HDD in my Iveco IT2000 / GDS3500 tester to see if they are interchangable (waiting for the 128 mb RAM cards...)
i don't have a Jaguar myself (my ride is a tuned Suzuki Swift Sport, i'm sorry !) but when i get familiar with the tools and have all the needed adapters i will check if there is any local interest in Jag/Aston/Ford diagnostic service....
Gert

Last edited by flasher; 10-06-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Somewhere in this topic somebody was asking for Land Rover CD13. I have got one. So if you would like to have more information about it, send me a PM.
It is working on Windows XP with a VCM (not updated I think) and correct cable.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 PM

And meanwhile, apparently I have been become a collector of working diagnostic stuff (last week I give my JDS parts away), and for my (smal) "collection" I am searching for WDS cable: B-298 .
I know it is a long schot but maybe there is somebody who can supply a picture, layout, pin out or even is willing to sell one.

#hopeful

Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 AM

Well i managed to repair my docking station using a 420w power supply with cut 3.3v wires + a separate 16v-5a laptop power supply - yesterday i finally succeeded in restoring the touch screen function of my Iveco IT2000/GDS3500 tester after i changed the mouse settings trying to activate an external mouse - i used a keyboard to activate the tabs and buttons and used the mouse settings of my Ford/Jaguar/Aston Martin WDS to copy them to the Iveco tester.

i also changed both bios batteries and the battery packs and i put 128 mb Kingston RAM cards in both machines to speed them up a little - i first put other 128 mb 66 mhz cards in both machines but they did not even boot with these cards - according to the supplier the Kingston card is really a 133 mhz card instead of 66 mhz (2x 66 mhz) so according to him that would be the reason his cards did not work….
I remember a post about someone reporting a working 133 mhz card so it might be possible…

the more i compare both GDS3500 machine the more differences i encounter - the Iveco tester is not a 100% copy of the WDS tester - the Iveco runs Windows NT 4.0 , it has a dedicated keyboard connection on the front and 2 rails to connect the IT2000 keyboard, it has 2 extra flat cables connected between the upper and lower board, it has a (non-working) usb and infrared port and it lacks the second pcb layer like the WDS tester .
It does however accept the WDS HDD so it will have to test if it does communicate with Ford / Jaguar/ Aston Martin vehicles using it's other pcb board setup....

This forum is great for finding info about the GDS3500 tester, lots of experience and very friendly and helpful people here !

Last edited by flasher; 10-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to flasher For This Useful Post:
motorcarman (10-13-2018)