General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

That first link is exactly what I needed, the other, not so helpful, but appreciated.

Now I need to figure out if the CDROM isn't working, or isn't reading the disc, or I just burned the disc improperly....

Any tips would be great. I have a few Ford CDs, namely CD29, CD30 and CD32. I checked CD32 for comparison.

The burned CD is a Verbatim CD-R. Once burned, it's titled JTP626/6 and it opens up to 10 folders and a README.txt file.

Is that accurate?

The original Ford FDS2000 CD32 disc is titled CD32 and has 21 folders a nd a README.txt file.

Apparently it won't take the original Ford FDS2000 CD32 either. It takes it in, it reads it for 15 seconds, then spits it out.

Originally Posted by asgarond
Hi Vee,

perhaps you will find some information here: http://www.elpaulio.co.uk/FDS2000/section9.pdf

Take the root page for the whole bunch:
Ford FDS2000 Manuals

Best regards
André

Last edited by Vee; 05-19-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Well done Ford!

Yes, as in the heading MR Ford has cost me a whole day sorting out a problem I didn't have in the first place, Please bear with me I know this is the Jaguar WDS thread but it may help you at some time, To start with I have two WDS machines and am looking after a friends as well, I have one as a FORD just in case I decide to do that sort of thing and the other is for my XKR, my friends is also jaguar, with me so far? well I decided to ensure the batteries were still charged so plugged my Jaguar WDS into my docking port and the Ford WDS into a separate power supply so far so good a few hours later decided to check charge, the Jaguar one was 100% very good I thought so turned on the Ford one, it attempted to start but locked up on the win 98 screen Mmmm something not right thinks I so tried again and it started up in safe mode as previous attempt to start hung, up well the machine is working I thought maybe a software problem so I had a duplicate pre loaded hard drive with ford on and tried that SAME PROBLEM Mmmm I took my friends WDS and took out the hard drive and put the Ford WDS into my friends WDS sod it same problem , what have I done?. Next tried the Jaguar WDS hard drive in my Ford one Guess what it started to load then the infamous 2217 error (Battery not accepting charge) showed its head Mmm again what is going on then the light bulb moment put the Ford hard drive into my jaguar WDS and it worked as it should, now what do the 3 sets have in common (now you might be ahead of me here but here we go)
1 the Jaguar WDS is in the dock showing 100% charge
2 put my friends into the dock with Jaguar hard drive and yes you got it the dreaded 2217 again
3 transferred the Jaguar hard drive from my friends back into the Ford unit and place in dock and again 2217
4 took both battery packs out and jump charged them with stand alone charging unit
5 now with good battery my friends works as should
6 Yes now the Ford WDS now works as well
So to thank MR FORD, with the Jaguar WDS if the battery pack needs boost charging you get 2217 But the Ford WDS you get a hanging windows 98 with no indication of what the problem is.
So sorted my little problem that took all day but this info might help others in future as I know some of us do have both systems
Think I will have a beer or two

The following users liked this post:
flasher (10-01-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say that you jump charged the batteries, I assume you charged them across the red and black leads that are soldered directly onto the battery cells.With regards charging, Could anyone confirm under what conditions a PTU battery will charge.Forgetting the obvious, when the PTU is turned on and locked in a powered up docking station.
  1. PTU turned off but locked into a powered up docking station.
  2. Un-docked PTU turned off and connected to 12v supply.
  3. Un-docked PTU turned on and connected to 12v supply.
Also, has anyone come up with a way of running the PTU direct from an external power source, ie without the internal battery present.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:00 AM
Thumbs up jump start

Hi,
Yes I should have been clearer, I have an old camcorder battery conditioner which I jury rig to connect to the removed packs I pin into the socket +ve and -ve of the plug then force discharge and then charge cycle it, sometimes I just have to hold the charge button in the on position for 30 seconds or so to force charge the pack.
The built in circuit in the pack detects when the battery voltage is low (What it is I haven't noticed) and decides the pack is totally unusable so will not allow it to charge whilst connected to the PDU so that is why you have to bypass it by jumping it directly to the cells. If you do find a way to stop it doing this check maybe software? it would save a lot of hassle, You can also do this to supposedly dead laptop batteries.
regards
rrosscoe

Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 AM
Smile read the question!

Me again,
Just re read the question, I use the dock to recharge and also I have a old laptop charger at 16V which I connect to the power socket of the PDU to charge the other one or to use on the vehicle as the battery life even with a charged battery leaves something to be desired, I know it will take power from the vehicle when connected but belt and braces work for me.
1.With the PDU connected to dock and switched off it will charge
2. with it connected to the dock and working it will charge
3. undocked PDU to external supply switched off or on will charge but at slower rate
The dock charges faster as it should but the external will do the job
Bye agin
rrosscoe

Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi rrosscoe, Thanks for the clarification on charging conditions, also the explanation of force charge, I’ll think about doing that.Cheers....

Old 09-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

We have watched this thread for a while as it was always our intention to preserve all Jaguar tools from 1948 on. This includes the subject of this thread. We are fortunate to have a JDS/PDU/ and a WDS system. All are working but the JDS is just barely. We are willing to exchange information/software and in some cases parts. Our WDS came from a training center and is of course perfect (except battery pack). We were fortunate to have a rec. retired tech show us some of the oddities of the systems and explain how all of the add on modules we have are used. I have included some pics but this is not all of the software or manuals. I am amazed at the number of cables and adapters with the systems. so we have some redundant parts and lots of redundant software.

One thing we need is a new or good cartridge for the CD player in the PDU. We realize we could change the player to one not needing a loading cartridge but that would not be in keeping with preservation of the day! So please feel free to contact if there is interest in exchanges. Please do not ask us technical questions as we are learning.
And for you old timers--yes that is a Epitest peaking out behind the WDS. We have all of the test modules added to it also.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation
We have watched this thread for a while as it was always our intention to preserve all Jaguar tools from 1948 on. This includes the subject of this thread. We are fortunate to have a JDS/PDU/ and a WDS system. All are working but the JDS is just barely. We are willing to exchange information/software and in some cases parts. Our WDS came from a training center and is of course perfect (except battery pack). We were fortunate to have a rec. retired tech show us some of the oddities of the systems and explain how all of the add on modules we have are used. I have included some pics but this is not all of the software or manuals. I am amazed at the number of cables and adapters with the systems. so we have some redundant parts and lots of redundant software.

One thing we need is a new or good cartridge for the CD player in the PDU. We realize we could change the player to one not needing a loading cartridge but that would not be in keeping with preservation of the day! So please feel free to contact if there is interest in exchanges. Please do not ask us technical questions as we are learning.
And for you old timers--yes that is a Epitest peaking out behind the WDS. We have all of the test modules added to it also.

I have got two epitest units, JDS parts, a working PDU (I built replacement circuit boards for it) and a working Ford one, WDS and SDD. I am not going to attempt to get the JDS working so let me know what you are looking for then I might be able to help you.

Last edited by Gijzzy; 09-21-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Gijzzy we are not sure what we need for the JDS at this point. What we could use is a good cartridge for the PDU. The locking wings are broken on ours. It works but ejection of the cd is problematic.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you mean the cartridge were you put the CD in, I have got one for you! I am on the ferry to the UK at this moment for a MKIV to MKX meeting but if you send me a private message I will contact you next week when I am back home.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation
Gijzzy we are not sure what we need for the JDS at this point. What we could use is a good cartridge for the PDU. The locking wings are broken on ours. It works but ejection of the cd is problematic.
I'm not sure what you want the antiquated CD drive for either? I bought a circuitboard from Gijzzy that allowed me to use a modern CD drive, which makes for a faster read as well as ditching these pesky CD cases. I think I still have one case, let me know if you want that one too!

Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM

Vee then you do not understand what we are about. We are preserving information, cars, artifacts and so on. We are not trying to open a service center. Certainly we know we can upgrade the CD but then it would not be what was used. Do appreciate the help offered on the JDS and if we can help let us know.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello guys,

i just joined this forum because i noticed there is some good knowledge about the GDS3500 tester here, i hope one of you experts can help me with this problem:

i recently bought a GDS3500 tester (Iveco IT2000 version) without any cables or power supply with unknown function , reading this post i found the connection for the 12v power supply and i managed to get the software running .
Then i made a stupid mistake by trying to activate a PS2 mouse but now i have a problem with the touch screen - the mouse does not work but i can't activate most buttons of the software or in the Windows settings with the touch screen - a touch generates a " what is this?" popup..
i guess i messed up the touch screen (mouse) driver ? i am not very good at computers so i hope one of you guys can point me in the right direction on how to get back to my initial function of the touch screen - right now i have to pull the plug of the power supply to shut down the system as i can't use the screen buttons.....
thank you for any help,
Flasher

Old 09-27-2018, 05:02 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Do you have the base station, or something with the CD-ROM drive to reinstall the software? That seems like it could be the easiest option?

flasher (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 05:24 AM

No, that's the problem, i only have the GDS3500 tester without the docking station nor do i have any software or cables, i only managed to connect an universal power supply to the tester to get it working.
The tester worked before i messed up but now it is very limited because i can open all options but i cannot activate the option buttons on the screen - the touch screen itself is working (it beeps and shows the correct location) butis does not link to the underlying buttons so i have to close all opened screens by clicking on the upper blue bar and choose "close"....

It would be nice if there were any Dutch members over here who live in the neighbourhood of Eindhoven to arrange for some (paid) help, another optionwould be selling the tool to a member with a docking station and software - i guess a fresh install will solve this problem easily as the tester has worked ok before is messed up....
I'm open for any reasonable offer so just send me a PM if you're interested….

thank you !

Old 09-28-2018, 04:22 PM

In the meanwhile i got some great help from Bob regarding the Jaguar and Ford software and a how-to to connect a cdrom to my GDS3500 to enable reinstalling the software- i also ordered a new battery pack and i will order the flatcable a.s.a.p and hopefully be able to use my touch screen again….
I am still searching for the 12v power cable and the B280 OBD2 cable so if any of you have a spare to sell please let me know….
It's really nice to see there are a lot of helpful people on this forum, i hope i can do something in return soon….

Old 09-29-2018, 03:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in the Netherlands (near Amsterdam) and I can help you. I can send you a pre-installed HDD, so you don't need to connect a CD-rom drive or so. Cables is another problem - they are scarce and thus expensive. I will send you a PM.

flasher (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

flasher

I assume IVECO software is on the PTU?? Do you need the Iveco IT2000 version for diagnostics. Do you work on IVECO vehicles??

I sent you the link to download Ford and Jaguar software to 'burn' discs (CDs)

Do NOT discard the old battery pack. You can disassemble the pack and solder new cells together with the little circuit board installed.
I have 3 battery packs that I assembled from the dead ones. I bought new cells and soldered new ones together.

Battery packs are very hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

bob

flasher (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by y.roos
I live in the Netherlands (near Amsterdam) and I can help you. I can send you a pre-installed HDD, so you don't need to connect a CD-rom drive or so. Cables is another problem - they are scarce and thus expensive. I will send you a PM.
that would be very handy to get my GDS3500 running again, i assume the pre-installed HDD will restore the function of the non-working mouse-click buttons of the touch screen....
We will talk by PM about the costs, thank you very much for your help !

Old 09-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
flasher

I assume IVECO software is on the PTU?? Do you need the Iveco IT2000 version for diagnostics. Do you work on IVECO vehicles??

I sent you the link to download Ford and Jaguar software to 'burn' discs (CDs)

Do NOT discard the old battery pack. You can disassemble the pack and solder new cells together with the little circuit board installed.
I have 3 battery packs that I assembled from the dead ones. I bought new cells and soldered new ones together.

Battery packs are very hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

bob
Hello Bob,

yes the Iveco software is on the HDD of my Iveco IT2000/GDS3500, i don't need it and would prefer to have Jaguar + Ford software on 2 different HDD's….
I will burn the cdrom's a.s.a.p , thanks a lot for the ISO files !
I ordered a battery pack which is made to transfer the pcb, thermoswitch and fuse from the old to the new pack, that should be no problem…..

I tried to attach some pictures of my tool but somehow nothing happens when i press "upload" - when i touch the Upload button a popup appears : " Please wait until the process ends to insert them in a post " ...but this messages never ends….
Is there any special trick to post jpg pictures ?

thanks,
Gert

Last edited by flasher; 09-29-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station