I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar I-Pace refresh with Pivi Pro

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar I-Pace refresh with Pivi Pro

I wonder if the newly introduced Pivi Pro infotainment could be potentially retrofitted to the current I-Pace with the Touch Pro Duo. The Pivi Pro looks as a significantly better designed and responsive system.
Both are probably same size/shape, but are they plug and SW compatible?

Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m guessing it can be done if you’re willing to spend the money. I think it will be very expensive.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-Pace Pivi refresh

Well, you probably are right. Is there a way to define expensive? Over 10G?
Which items need to be replaced beyond the obvious like the display panels?
Btw- is it just the Duo two panels, or the instruments panel in front of driver as well?
If this is going to require major rewiring - forget it I think

Old 08-30-2020, 10:57 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don’t have any information on what would be required, or the cost. I’ve seen people do similar upgrades on Porsches, and it generally requires purchasing all the new components, significant re-wiring, custom wire harnesses, and custom programming. I believe it has been in the $5K - $7K range for Porsche vehicles. I have no idea if Jaguar would be similar or not. Porsche always makes it hard to upgrade older cars with parts from newer cars. They’d much rather have you buy the new car.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:41 PM
Received 675 Likes on 488 Posts

Jaguar makes it hard to upgrade as well. It is a common thread in the F-Type forum and, so far, I haven't seen a successful upgrade. On the other hand, the I-Pace was designed to be modular so it is more likely possible on our car. The question is whether you also have to upgrade the ECU to allow it to work. Personally I think that all car companies should allow an upgrade path. It would be extra revenue for the dealers and while it would keep cars in people's hands longer they'd be happier with the result and more like to stay with the brand when they did replace.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:58 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't believe this is practical. Your I-Pace is under warranty and such upgrade would void it.

<rant>
A continuous stream of feature upgrades delivered via software is generating strong brand loyalty for Tesla. One would think other car manufacturers would take notice and try to emulate this success. Alas JLR is short on cash and building a strong software team take considerable time and effort.

The usual model of delegating the software for the car to the component OEM is not working great so far - in general infotainment systems are pretty poor across many brands.
</rant>

Old 09-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 675 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree on both rants, the infotainment systems on most of the cars I've tested aren't where they should be given the advances we've had prior to this decade and too many still grandfather their infotainment system for up to 5 years through updated cars. It is really annoying to sit in a new car that has an infotainment system that is already 5 or more years out of date. That has kept me from buying a number of cars over the years. On the Warranty though, here (US), they can't void the entire warranty for an owner modification they can only void what the modification changed. Given we are talking a Jaguar part which would have its own warranty you'd likely just have a reduced warranty on that system unless you did damage during the installation and clearly they wouldn't pay for that. However, Jaguar has been pretty aggressive voiding warranties for connected systems so, while you'd likely prevail it court, they might be a huge pain making the effort too painful to be worth it.

Last edited by enderle; 09-01-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Pivi Pro has totally different hardware & wiring to InControl Touch Pro.

I don't see this being a feasible upgrade.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (09-01-2020)