Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Modding your Jag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modding your Jag?

I don't know if this is where this should go (since it doesn't pertain to any specific model/year), but I couldn't find any better place to put it. Sooo...

I'm getting ready to do some modding on my Jag's interior. Is it wrong of me to want to try to improve what Jaguar obviously thought was perfection?

Mods will include:

Resurfacing the dash. Removing the cracked/destroyed/ugly polyurethane (or whatever it was) and the top wood and replacing it with a walnut burl veneer (it really looks sexy!!!). Also, going to add the veneer on the center console (a al the later models) where the gear shifter and window buttons are. Maybe some where the environment temp controls/radio are and on the part where the tank switch, rear window defogger, etc are. Also, if enough of the veneer is left over, will do the vent and window control panels for the rear seats (pictures will come tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with the interior of the 76 XJ12). Also, going to take the plastic knobs on the shifter and lathe the same shape from walnut burl. Finally, I'm going to have a walnut burl steering wheel made. I will remove the existing plastic coating down to the metal core, and have the wood glued on top of it (not sure how much it's going to cost me...I've got a guy working up a price for me).

Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Should look good when its done, but make sure you are sitting down, studiously studdying something large and single when he gives you the price for a hand made walnut steering wheel. brrr.

Perhaps the interior section might be better. Just a thought.

Look forward to the pics,

Old 10-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That sounds a decent project indeed
I also upgraded some interior and exterior on my Jaguar including alcantara headliner,refurbishing the wood trims, wood/leather sterring wheel, X300 gear selector aka gear knob,X300 wheels and much

Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

To me, it sounds like a wonderful thing. Sounds like it will be a very beautiful thing when you are done. But, like was mentioned, be sitting down when you hear the price on the steering wheel. If you are supplying the wood, it will help, but you are talking about lots of hours of labor. may want to ask how much it would be for him to attach the wood and do the rough shaping and leave the fine sanding to you. That may save you a lot of money. Granted, now you are on your dime. That also depends on your abilities to work with wood.

I say go for it.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Yea, I'm expecting a very expansive steering wheel...lol.

The wood isn't going to be much compared to the labor in making the steering wheel. The guy works at the place where I'm getting the wood. I'm happened to be talking to him about what I wanted to do with the steering wheel, and he mentioned that he had done one for a 911 some years ago. I asked him if he would be willing to give me a price on doing one for my XJ12, and he said he would take a few days and then give me a price. When he said "a few days," I already started to prepare...hehe.

Thermo - if I was confident in my abilities to work with wood, I wouldn't have asked someone else to do it.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Motormouth - sounds like a really cool n interesting project. I'm guessing there'll be more than a few replies to this one
Pics of before / during / after would be nice????

I'm gonna move this to the interior section where it'll be better viewed

Good luck

Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 PM

Here are some before pictures:

The first picture shows the entire dash and steering wheel (cheap looking crap) cover. The second is a closer shot of part of the dash, the buttons under the dash and the stereo/climate controls. The third is the console panel for the shifter/ashtrays/etc. and the window controls. All of the silver will be covered with the walnut burl veneer, and the dash will be redone using walnut veneer. Also, notice the shift knob is black plastic. That will be redone with a lathed piece of walnut burl as well.

I've also attached a couple of pictures of the veneer I'll be using (in case you don't know what walnut burl looks like ).

QUESTION: what type of adhesive should I use to adhere the veneer to the metal?

Attached Thumbnails Modding your Jag?-100_5808.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5809.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5810.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5846.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5847.jpg  

Last edited by m0t0rm0uth; 10-26-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

A lot depends on the substrate that you are veneering. Don't like to send you staight off into cyber-space but if you want to do some of your own research visit,
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/glues.htm this site will help answer questions about veneering that you never even thought to ask.

Keep the project pics comming.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Well, I talked to my dad who has done this type of stuff before, and he recommended epoxy. So, since I have two of the console plate things (the black and the metal), I decided to do a test run. Pictures in a few days (after curing, drying, etc). I'll do before during and aft.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Another great thread mOtOrmOuth. There is a programme called Wheeler Dealers in the UK and one of the episodes was on an XJS. Part of that work was refurbishing the veneer. There is a link here and you want part 2 of 6 for the work on the console.

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearc...ed=0CBUQqwQwAA#

Last edited by Delta66; 10-28-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks Delta!!

Here are some pictures of the test pieces.

In the first two pictures are my materials. The window switch plate, and the piece of walnut burl.

The third pictures shows the stuff I'll be using to do it. Pro-Glue veneer softener (but not actually an adhesive), copper pipe sandpaper strip, and 5 minute epoxy (I got this from Lowe's). I used the pipe sandpaper strip since I use it to clean and roughen copper pipe when I do plumbing...I figured what better sandpaper to use than something designed for use on metal?

I lightly sprayed the veneer with the softener and let it dry for about 5 minutes. While it was drying, I mixed the two epoxy resins with a toothpick (since I wasn't going to need much), and spread it with a new razor blade (since the epoxy needs to be a VERY thin coat). I spread it onto the switch plate versus the veneer so that the veneer wouldn't curl.

The fourth picture shows the switch piece attached to the veneer. Notice that it's laying on top of a piece of cardboard? The veneer softener says to place the veneer between two piece of brown paper (like a paper bag) to slow the drying process so that when the veneer is removed from between the flattening things, it won't curl back up again). Since I didn't have any, but I had some really nice pieces of cardboard, I decided that I would use that instead.

In the fifth picture is my veneer sandwich...lol. From bottom to top layers are: mirror (to keep the material flat as possible), cardboard, veneer, epoxy, switch plate, 3 cardboard (for height purposes, since the back of the switch plate has some metal studs that attach to the console panel), softback book, and finally a plastic tote full of tools (about 50 pounds or so).

Hopefully, this will keep the veneer flat and help glue it to all the surfaces of the switch plate (since it's not PERFECTLY flat). More pictures in a few hours.

Attached Thumbnails Modding your Jag?-100_5879.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5883.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5882.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5884.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5885.jpg  

Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM

More pictures of the test piece. Almost wish I had done this one as the real thing, because it's coming out good. Time will tell.

First pic - glued and cut out.

Second pic - show little to no raised sections.

Next step (when I have more money to get sand paper and gloss treatment) is to sand it and get it glossy.

Attached Thumbnails Modding your Jag?-100_5886.jpg   Modding your Jag?-100_5887.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

Looking good. Have you got a slightly larger sheet, to cover for the missing bottom corners when you go for real? Be a shame to spoil such a detailed job as this.

Cheers,

Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Yea translator. That's why this was the test piece.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi motormouth,

It looks like it will be a great project when you are done. By the way, where did you get the veneer? The walnut burl looks really nice.

Mike

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks Mike! I got the veneer and veneer softener from a woodcrafters store here in town called (ironically enough) WoodCraft. Wasn't real expensive compared to blocks of it, but it was pretty spendy compared to other veneers. The pack of 6.5" x 12" sheets )6 sheets per pack) cost $27 versus $4 for just regular walnut veneer. The softener was about $10. The epoxy I got from Lowes at about $5.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Nate, I don't know how I missed this thread, but dude its going to look great!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks Rick!! I'm glad you found it...lol.

I've had to put everything on hold due to the lack of mad money (surely a temporary problem...lol). Hopefully all will resume in about a week or so.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Question (maybe specifically for Jason). Since I'm modding the XJ12, should I "pimp it?" I was sitting in the back seat the other day (don't ask...lol), and looked at the back of the headrest. I'm not sure if I can get an LCD DVD screen on the back of that thing or not. I'll probably have to measure, compare size, etc. Should I do something like that? You know...for the kids. Maybe put the player in the rear of the console underneath the window switches. I've been thinking about other mods I may do, but right now, I've got more money than sense...lol.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Any picture updates mOtOrmOuth?

Quick Reply: Modding your Jag?