Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Reliability

Hi, Look, I'm new to Jaguar, infact, I'm new to cars in general.

I'm new on the road, Just about to get my full driving permit here in Australia.

I'm currently driving a Nissan Silvia S13, and, while it's barrels of fun, it's simply not a Jag, is it?

The aim, is to sell my S13, save a bit of cash up, and buy either:
A Jaguar Sovereign.
A Jaguar XJ6. (Series 3?)
Or, on your advice, another model. (Please, do advise)

However, there isn't much knowledge in my area about these cars.

And, I'm wondering, For 5,000 Australian dollars, I can buy a nice XJ6 or a Sovereign. for less than 4 grand, I can buy either, but with over 200,000 kilometres on the clock, which brings me to my question.

For 4,000 dollars, is it worth buying one of these cars? I mean, are the engines, Suspension and whatnot still in good condition? Or is it worth stretching the budget, and badgering the old man for some extra cash and buying the more expensive cars?

Please, get back to me ASAP. Thankyou.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The Ser IIIs are great cars and built like a tank but, still, age and mileage takes a toll. Unless you get very lucky and/or buy an exceptional example at the top end of the market, it's a fair bet that some repairs will be needed. Be aware that head gaskets failures are common on the 80s vintage 6 cylinder cars. I drove a Ser III for years and it was dead reliable...but it takes a bit of effort to make them and keep them that way.

A safer bet would be an "X300" style XJ6---1995-96-97 model years (in the USA, at least). These are probably the most reliable used Jag you can buy.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Thankyou, DD.

I have stumbled upon a Jag I'm quite interested in. Which seems to combine the best of both worlds.

It's a 1988 XJ6 (3.6L) with 215,000 on the clock, which is over the 200,000 that I spoke of, but 15,000 is half a years worth of average driving here in South Australia.

I'll show you it. Because it appears to be in good condition, unless anyone can spot otherwise?

Is there anything exceptional about late 80's XJ6's that I should know about?

Thanks for your time,

Tom.

(The link for the XJ6):
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/sea...&nr=D_13759955

Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

That model (sometimes known as the "XJ40") has it's following but the early examples were notoriously troublesome. If that's the style you want look for a 91-94 as most of the design issues were sorted by then and you'll be contending mostly with typical age/mileage issues common to any used car.

I wouldn't recommend buying any 15-20-25 year old Jaguar without a reserve of cash set aside to cover the repairs which any one you choose will likely need.

Do plenty of shopping around and you might well find a bargain in good shape but be careful. A Jag can be an absolute joy to own....or a miserable money pit that'll make you hate Jaguars forever.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Tom, Doug is correct as usual. Plus personally I would not be looking to buy a big old petrol engined car with the kind of mileage that this car has, and then even consider putting 30 thousand a year on it.

Just had a look at your 'tradingpost.com.au' there are lots of Jaguars available.

As above, shop around.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Thankyou, lads.

While the KM's are high, it's a first car (Other than the poxy silvia), and I'm just wondering, what's the usual things that go wrong? Typically, here in South Australia (And especially my part of SA) our summers are scorching, and our Winters are harsh. It doesn't snow or anything, but when it rains, you sure know about it. And in the summer, it's often 40 Degrees Celcuis and above. Does this cause any issues with the car?

I'll have a look for the later XJ6's now, thanks.

And did I missread "30 thousand a year" Thirty thousand dollars, a year? On a car?

If there's anything else you can think of, please do get back to me.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

IMHO, go for the best example you can afford, in terms of condition. These 6 pot engines are generally very solid when they have been well maintained.

Rust can be a major issue, although in your climate, might not be such a problem. Any car with serious rust will cost a fortune to put right and due to value will not be financially worth doing.

If you can stretch to a 95 X300 (= 95 XJ6) they are great cars.

Some people will say, go for the best mechanical condition, others will say go for the best body condition. Personally I am in the best body condition school. An engine or G/box etc can always easily be replaced/repaired over a weekend, not so a completely rusted set of sills or floor pans.

As for the misunderstanding over 30 thousand a year;-) you said it in your OP 15000 is half a years mileage. I know you have Altjeringa over in OZ, but hey 30,000$ a year on any car, no, no, no.

Don't know exactly where you are but we do have members in Sydney and Melbourne.

Had a closer look at the link you posted. The car doesn't look too bad and is in the right price band for your area (it does have aftermarket wheels). However, try to find a 4.0 rather than a 3.2 or 3.6. and avoid any car with the USS Enterprise dash board (earlier XJ40).

And finally, why not post up an intro over in the New Member area, not only will you be made welcome, but you may well get some 'hits' from people closer to you, especially if you use 'Australia' in your post title.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 AM

I'm in Adelaide, South Australia. Which is in the big bight at the bottom of Australia.

Please ellaborate on the USS enterprise dashboard... As I'm now looking at a 1983 XJ6.

It's in much better condition, it's done less Kilometers, it's the same sort of price, it's red and it's got a bigger engine.

Also, this one has NO rust, no issues at all, and seems to be pristine.

I now understand the 30 thousand a year, sorry, I completely forgot I mentioned it.

Thanks for your help.

Tom.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd shy away from Jaguars that old and that high of mileage. You are asking for high maintenance costs.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I have a 95 X300 (XJ6) that I believe is the best driving car I have ever owned. For a Jag it is probably the most reliable. I love this car and with 107,000 miles it is great. Probably will never get rid of it.

EZDriver XJ6 XK8