Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

V8 SC Engine oil ways

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V8 SC Engine oil ways

Trying to find out if the 4.2LTR V8 SC engine has a removeable main oil gallery bolt on the block anywhere for the purpose of fitting an external oil accumulator?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

subscribed.

There are passages in the cylinder head at the rear that have plugs in them. Whether they are oil or coolant is not apparent.

Plugging them is part of the head assembly process detailed in the 4.0 engine build manual.

Another alternative is the oil cooler lines, but the inlet is thermostat controlled.

There is also the oil pressure sender port.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=marky68;740003]
Trying to find out if the 4.2LTR V8 SC engine has a removeable main oil gallery bolt on the block anywhere for the purpose of fitting an external oil accumulator?
[/QUOTE

If you are looking to accomplish this without drilling and tapping, the plug in the rear of block (bellhousing face) leads directly to main galley, and is probably the best location for the introduction of "emergency" oiling. Unfortunately, this means splitting the engine from trans and modifying the plug to accept whatever fitting you have on the accumulator.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 AM

Hi the engine is out and on a pallet so access isn't a problem, but I couldn't see any removable plug anywhere on the block at the rear?
"the plug in the rear of block (bellhousing face)" bell housing mating face?
I will take a picture and pop it up here for comment.
Cheers

[QUOTE=RSR Racing;745796]
Originally Posted by marky68
[/QUOTE

If you are looking to accomplish this without drilling and tapping, the plug in the rear of block (bellhousing face) leads directly to main galley, and is probably the best location for the introduction of "emergency" oiling. Unfortunately, this means splitting the engine from trans and modifying the plug to accept whatever fitting you have on the accumulator.

Attached Thumbnails V8 SC Engine oil ways-42ltrstyperengine16_zpsc70d2e50.jpg  

Last edited by marky68; 05-29-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Its the large alen bolt just above the crank, behind the flywheel/starterwheel

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Just behind the flywheel. Possibly modify the plug for a Banjo type fitting and route through the valley.

[QUOTE=marky68;746198]Hi the engine is out and on a pallet so access isn't a problem, but I couldn't see any removable plug anywhere on the block at the rear?
"the plug in the rear of block (bellhousing face)" bell housing mating face?
I will take a picture and pop it up here for comment.
Cheers

Attached Thumbnails V8 SC Engine oil ways-img_08601_zps685b7237.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
subscribed.

There are passages in the cylinder head at the rear that have plugs in them. Whether they are oil or coolant is not apparent.

Plugging them is part of the head assembly process detailed in the 4.0 engine build manual.
Are you talking about the 4 threaded holes at the back of the heads? Does oil/coolant actually come out of them?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by SteveM
Are you talking about the 4 threaded holes at the back of the heads? Does oil/coolant actually come out of them?

These passages are for cam journal oiling, and to the best of my knowledge are not open on every engine variant (not sure about 4.0L). Regardless of this, accumulator oil introduced here will not reach the main bearings. There are check valves (typically pressed into cylinder head) inline from the block's oil path in this circuit.

The following 3 users liked this post by RSR Racing:
Arland Green (06-07-2013), Panthro (01-26-2017), SteveM (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I removed one of the plugs (fairly sure it was only one) because the other holes were not plugged and I figured why have extra weight if it's not necessary, lol. I'll check if any oil leaks out when it's running.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 AM

Thanks, RSR,
I'm not sure I can use that one as the custom manual flywheel will be pretty close to it and therfore not leaving much room for a banjo.

The other option is at the oil filter housing but i cannot find a oil sandwich adapter plate to fit the large jaguar oil filter thread anywhere?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Understood regarding the flywheel. I am not aware of anyone that sells an oil filter adapter for that application. Seems like a very simple part to make though.

Have you considered a remote filter mount?

Thanks, RSR,
I'm not sure I can use that one as the custom manual flywheel will be pretty close to it and therfore not leaving much room for a banjo.

The other option is at the oil filter housing but i cannot find a oil sandwich adapter plate to fit the large jaguar oil filter thread anywhere?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 AM

I don't think a remote filter is going to help and I guess finding the oil filter end cap to send the oil to this will not be off the shelf either.

The two things I'm trying to achieve are getting a reserve oil supply back into the engine where it will be useful to prevent oil surge ( is it even an issue with these engines?)

Secondly somewhere to take off oil pressure and temperature senders for aftermarket gauges.

As I am running an aftermarket ECU is it possible to remove the factory senders pictured here and replace with others?

This bolt on filter and oil cooler housing has caused me alot of grief whilst trying to fit a larger bottom pulley I have approx 3mm clearence with the new pulley fitted after some careful grinding of the housing. I won't be able to change charger belts with the housing fitted that is for sure. ( new pulley not pictured yet)

Originally Posted by RSR Racing
Understood regarding the flywheel. I am not aware of anyone that sells an oil filter adapter for that application. Seems like a very simple part to make though.

Have you considered a remote filter mount?

Attached Thumbnails V8 SC Engine oil ways-42ltrstyperengine5_zpsa30fa26e.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Please see my replies in red:

I don't think a remote filter is going to help and I guess finding the oil filter end cap to send the oil to this will not be off the shelf either. I can now see from the pics what you are dealing with.

The two things I'm trying to achieve are getting a reserve oil supply back into the engine where it will be useful to prevent oil surge ( is it even an issue with these engines?) I do not believe there are substantial issues with oil surge in these engines. Typically a reserve oil supply is for priming on startup, situations where the chassis outperforms the oiling system (high G loads), and emergencies where something in the oiling circuit has failed.

Secondly somewhere to take off oil pressure and temperature senders for aftermarket gauges. Maybe removing the sump, and drilling your own ports would be best.

As I am running an aftermarket ECU is it possible to remove the factory senders pictured here and replace with others? As long as the stock sensors have no function in your application.

This bolt on filter and oil cooler housing has caused me alot of grief whilst trying to fit a larger bottom pulley I have approx 3mm clearence with the new pulley fitted after some careful grinding of the housing. I won't be able to change charger belts with the housing fitted that is for sure. ( new pulley not pictured yet)

Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

RSR Racing! Are Paul Gettilozzi and Reteif Goosens and the team working on an 'F' type variant to race ALMS? I saw the team at Road America 3 or 4 years ago with those stunning lime green and black GT XKR's.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Arland Green
RSR Racing! Are Paul Gettilozzi and Reteif Goosens and the team working on an 'F' type variant to race ALMS? I saw the team at Road America 3 or 4 years ago with those stunning lime green and black GT XKR's.

Currently there are no plans to race the F Type. RSR is currently racing a prototype in the ALMS, and Retief Goosen is presumably working on his golf game. Marc Goosens is driving one of the SRT Vipers at LeMans.