Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Afraid to post on here..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyweb
Yeah man don't go to Australia or any major city in the northeast like Philly, Boston, or New York.
Or Detroit! Unless you are packin'

Old 01-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Or Detroit! Unless you are packin'
Being from there, I resemble that remark!

I think he gets the point. Let's let him dust himself off.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-18-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Post deleted.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-18-2015 at 08:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
F-TypeRookie (01-18-2015), Mulmur (01-18-2015), Unhingd (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Geez Jay, you could be Canadian...

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by A15FS
For fear you will attack my opinion... I have been watching this forum for some time and have been on several automotive forums in the past, but have never found any to be so one sidedly aggressive and defensive. I understand Jaguar owners sticking together, but damn guys! We are here to converse, exchange experiences and opinions...not attack each other! It's okay if someone has an opinion different than yours. Don't make the image that others have of the brand a reality... that we are all a bunch of ******! It couldn't be farther than the truth!
Hi there, thanks for your post.

I have to say I am most surprised at the title and content of your post, although to be fair I guess some could say I was biased.

I'm happy to see many members stepping in who seem to be of the same opinion also, although again I suppose we could all be biased...lol

Every one of us has an opinion and is entitled to it of course, we welcome discussion and debate here and try to be as friendly and welcoming as possible.
Please be aware though, that not everyone may agree with your opinion, that, like in real life is just the way it is and you should deal with it.

If a member feels that an opinion has went too far or became personal, in the form of an attack or insult he can report this post and the mod team will look into it and respond as required.

This is of course if the mod team hasn't stepped in beforehand........this is fairly rare as we try to let discussion / debate flow.

As a few others have also stated, I'd really like to see examples of what you seem to think is an issue here?
Generally, we think we do pretty well here as a friendly / welcoming place to be, but are always looking to improve the experience for all.

Hope to hear......

The following 9 users liked this post by JimC64:
Cambo (01-18-2015), Foosh (01-18-2015), Jayt2 (01-18-2015), Lovemonet (01-18-2015), RickyJay52 (01-18-2015), sklimii (01-18-2015), swajames (01-18-2015), Unhingd (01-18-2015), WayneB (01-18-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by F-TypeRookie
Geez Jay, you could be Canadian...
I'll take that as a compliment, and a nice addition to this thread. I am, after all, geographically-speaking, extremely close to Canada.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Well I am newly back here so can't speak from a lot of experience here, but I spend time on several,other forums including regulalry on one other car based forum and ocassionally another one. From what I have seen so far this place is by far the tamest and most polite of all of them.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Well I am newly back here so can't speak from a lot of experience here, but I spend time on several,other forums including regulalry on one other car based forum and ocassionally another one. From what I have seen so far this place is by far the tamest and most polite of all of them.
Absolutely agree. Much better than most of the forums I (used to) frequent.

Healthy debate, strong opinions and paying attention to detail allowed most of us to here afford cars like this and while it may cause friction now and then it usually leads to great info / answers.

Happy to be here and have already learned a lot!

The following 4 users liked this post by golfhero:
Grant Francis (01-19-2015), JimC64 (01-18-2015), o1xjr (01-20-2015), Unhingd (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by AnD3rew

I've been in this forum for a number of years now and I honestly don't see what the thread creator is seeing. Of the forums I frequent, and I frequent a few, I'd use this as an example of how to properly moderate a forum.

The difficulty a lot of us have with this thread is there wasn't one example provided so we could get context. Folks need to ground opinions in fact.

And just posting something to the effect that "this forum sucks" kind of smells like a troll to me.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
And just posting something to the effect that "this forum sucks" kind of smells like a troll to me.
It's statements like this which help support the OP's comments.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
I've been in this forum for a number of years now and I honestly don't see what the thread creator is seeing. Of the forums I frequent, and I frequent a few, I'd use this as an example of how to properly moderate a forum.

The difficulty a lot of us have with this thread is there wasn't one example provided so we could get context. Folks need to ground opinions in fact.
Its a possibility of course Rob, I guess you're looking at a new member since January this year with 16 post count?

As I said, entirely possible, although in truth I think not, hoping to be proved right....

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It's statements like this which help support the OP's comments.
Sorry Mahjik, I don't agree on this one, Rob is simply and clearly stating his opinion. There's no aggression, no force etc behind his statement, simply adding his thoughts to the debate as a member who has been here since Jan 2012 and with almost 1100 posts.

I myself am a fan of examples when making a point, its a good starting point to show your point of view, don't you think?

Note: As this is not model specific and more of a debate about the forum itself, I'm moving it to the feedback and suggestion centre.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

For fear you will attack my opinion... I have been watching this forum for some time and have been on several automotive forums in the past, but have never found any to be so one sidedly aggressive and defensive. I understand Jaguar owners sticking together, but damn guys! We are here to converse, exchange experiences and opinions...not attack each other! It's okay if someone has an opinion different than yours. Don't make the image that others have of the brand a reality... that we are all a bunch of ******! It couldn't be farther than the truth!
Thanks for bringing up the subject , from the responses it seems that people are interested about the way the forum functions and pretty positive about it. Overall this place is generally quite polite and supportive , with a slight side order off p1ss taking at times (looking at you pommies).

I generally snuffle around in the XJ6 and off topic areas, and the folks there seem like a generally nice group of people. Dont agree with everything they say, but they generally say whatever it is from some basis of experience, logic or edumacation that is different from mine. So far I have seen very little blurting out of nonsense and BS, apart from my own maybe.

Hopefully you wont let one or two experiences colour your overall perception.

Last edited by yarpos; 01-18-2015 at 10:21 PM.
JimC64 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyweb
This is what happens when you give every kid a trophy. When someone is raised in a protective bubble, and never criticized, their thin skin can't handle the slightest comment later in life when they have to face the real world.

Yeah man don't go to Australia or any major city in the northeast like Philly, Boston, or New York.

A little bit of trash talk is part of being a car guy, or car culture.
Originally Posted by yarpos
Thanks for bringing up the subject , from the responses it seems that people are interested about the way the forum functions and pretty positive about it. Overall this place is generally quite polite and supportive , with a slight side order off p1ss taking at times (looking at you pommies).

I generally snuffle around in the XJ6 and off topic areas, and the folks there seem like a generally nice group of people. Dont agree with everything they say, but they generally say whatever it is from some basis of experience, logic or edumacation that is different from mine. So far I have seen very little blurting out of nonsense and BS, apart from my own maybe.

Hopefully you wont let one or two experiences colour your overall perception.
I have been a member for about a year now and have seen very little of what you are eluding to. When something untoward appears the mods move in very quickly.

I couldn't think of a nicer bunch of strangers to talk about my cars with.

Like Steve(yarpos) I tend to hang around the XJ6, XJS and off topic forums and find them very friendly places. Difference of opinion is a very different thing to personal attacks.
There is plenty more talked about here than just jags if you dig around .

JimC64 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

For fear you will attack my opinion... I have been watching this forum for some time and have been on several automotive forums in the past, but have never found any to be so one sidedly aggressive and defensive. .........
I have gone though all your previous posts to see what has sparked this reaction. The only thing I can find is a difference of opinion on the way to remove vents. Other contributions to paddle and seat discussions have generally been supportive. A discussion on vinyl wrap polarised opinion but that is hardly surprising. Originality versus modifications will always do this.

If the 'vent' is the relevant thread then I don't see anything aggressive about the alternative views or the way they were expressed. They may have been forceful but that is hardly the same thing. If I've picked up on the wrong thread then please point me in the right direction.

Many members are passionate about their Jaguars but don't confuse that with them being blinkered to the shortcomings of the marque. If you choose to stay with us longer you will find we have some of Jaguar's harshest critics.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (01-19-2015), o1xjr (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Its a possibility of course Rob, I guess you're looking at a new member since January this year with 16 post count?

As I said, entirely possible, although in truth I think not, hoping to be proved right....

Sorry Mahjik, I don't agree on this one, Rob is simply and clearly stating his opinion. There's no aggression, no force etc behind his statement, simply adding his thoughts to the debate as a member who has been here since Jan 2012 and with almost 1100 posts.

[B]I myself am a fan of examples when making a point, its a good starting point to show your point of view, don't you think?

From one mod to another, I think you are slightly blindsided by your current role. I've been a moderator on many forums, cars (longest tenure at the RX7Club), gaming, photography and others for almost 15 years. I can tell you what I've seen in my short time on this forum:

There is over moderating. When there is a topic or issue, you have not one, but as many as 4-5 putting in their 2 cents. It's similar to the beginning of the movie Office Space where the guys says when he makes a mistake, he has X number of people tell him he made a mistake.

The moderators care towards the longer tenured members and allow them leeway compared to new members. enderle's post for example had a good initial statement, but then followed up with a "baiting" statement. What is baiting? Baiting is using a statement which doesn't directly call out another user or break the rules, but is designed to provoke or downgrade another member. In this case, enderle didn't call the OP a 'troll', but said the behavior was "troll like". So it's not name calling since he/she didn't call the OP a troll, but highly insinuated he/she is... I'm not suggesting that post needs moderation, but it shouldn't be tolerated. That post would have had the same meaning and been more mature without the troll statement.

This is the behavior which is put against a lot of new members on this forum and the moderators treat it as some sort of college fraternity initiation. Just as you said "simply adding his thoughts to the debate as a member who has been here since Jan 2012 and with almost 1100 posts", which is proving my point.

I'm I suggesting you change anything? No. I'm simply stating that the OP has a point and shouldn't be disregarded because he/she is new. Whether you are able to put yourself in his or her shoes is one thing, but saying they have no basis to feel the way they do is not the correct approach.

Again, from one mod to another...

Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

There is over moderating. When there is a topic or issue, you have not one, but as many as 4-5 putting in their 2 cents.
But doe's that not make this the friendly and welcoming place JF is to most of the members?

Old 01-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
But doe's that not make this the friendly and welcoming place JF is to most of the members?
Actually, yes it does... Just like in my example, you don't want 5 bosses telling you did something wrong or 5 bosses showing you how to do something right. There are ways to make message forums run smoothly and a lot of it is making the moderators seem invisible (i.e. they are doing their job, but rarely seen doing their job). The best moderators are the ones which you don't know they are moderating.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Well, I've always been a fan of letting 'em duke it out and Devil take the hindmost!

I figure the worst that could happen would be a good stiff taunting:

"Go avay, seely Eenglish pig dog! Your mothair was a hamster and your fathair smelled of elderberries!"

Last edited by retromotors; 01-19-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

I have been here and it is one of the best site I am involved with. I have one that will actually blow up if another make is mentioned. I run with a National Race group and have been on 3 of the forum sites and I am on 7 technical sites. This site is a 5 star site. Opinions are plenty, experience abounds and occasionally heads butt. It is taken care of. I had a lady that once wanted to paint her car with a paisley print. Told her it would be $ and so many weeks as the paisley would have to be hand brushed or air-bushed, in return she said that in her art they use a wax that separates the paint, why could I not do that. It is uneducated comments that start a stand off and these modulators handle that well. A15FS post and do not be afraid, we cannot reach thru the screen and threaten you. Work around the rude ones and remain friends with the good ones.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

From one mod to another, I think you are slightly blindsided by your current role..........
I'm I suggesting you change anything? No. I'm simply stating that the OP has a point and shouldn't be disregarded because he/she is new.
Mahjik, firstly its irrelevant whether you are a mod on another site and what you do or how you do it there, to us here at JF.

We've managed pretty well to date, thank you very much.

I'm not blindsided as you put it Mahjik, The OP is actually getting plenty of attention with this thread, his concerns being discussed and addressed, far from being disregarded!!

As for over moderating?
Hogwash, pure and simple. Most threads are left to waft along without much interruption of any kind, Yes the mods and I may make posts into them, but we're participating members here as well as mods on the forum.

I don't think anyone is actually saying that the OP "has no basis to feel the way they do" but are instead saying they don't agree and expressing surprise at that viewpoint, hence the, please offer examples posts by some.

To address the point about new members as opposed to senior / veteran members.

Of course I'd like to say that all members are equal and we are "to some degree" and as far as is possible, to take the pc route.

You as a member for example...( examples are always good ) have been here since Oct 2014 and have 74 posts mostly interacting with other members, nice car, nice colour etc etc
That is all good and we're happy to have you here with us and look forward to you moving forward with us.

As opposed to a senior member who has been here since 2010 with 500 posts, or another veteran member who has been here since 2011 with 5000 + post count.
The above senior / veteran members have contributed in many many posts with tech help, tech advice, tsb's and pdf files, pictorial and video how to posts, as well as contributing to keeping the forum alive and well on a daily basis.....

Are you as equal as them?
The pc answer is yes of course you are, in truth, no you are not.

Are you listened to, does your opinion matter, yes of course you are and yes it does matter.....
When its weighed against the majority of more senior members in terms of longevity / experience and post count, not so much.

The following 4 users liked this post by JimC64:
Jayt2 (01-19-2015), jimbov8 (01-19-2015), Norri (01-19-2015), o1xjr (01-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Afraid to post on here..