Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

1949 Jaguar MkV Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1949 Jaguar MkV Overheating

Hi guys. Any boffins out there with a better solutuion for engine overheating. I plan to clean system then install a 115 ltr/min Davies electric water pump and fill system with Evans waterless coolant.
Bear in mind i live in Perth WA. Summer time temperatures exceed 40 degrees. I`m also looking for a after market air conditioning system if anyone has done it.
Thanks in advance.
Roger

Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 110 Likes on 31 Posts

How old is the radiator? I'm not sure an electric water pump is really the solution, those are generally geared towards increasing power, not increasing cooling (as opposed to an electric fan which is geared towards increasing cooling).

The most likely explanations are
*plugged up radiator
*Collapsed lower hose
*Air trapped in cooling system

I've used a couple of old air products AC systems that Ive been happy with. I've always used a model specific kit from them, but they do sell universal kits:

Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks - Custom & Street Rod A/C Units

Old 08-19-2016, 03:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by broknpiston
Hi guys. Any boffins out there with a better solutuion for engine overheating. .......
Welcome to the forum Roger,

I've moved your question from Other Jaguar Models / Concepts / Replicas to Mark V - X 420G forum. This is the place to post about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

It is also likely the block coolant jacket is crudded-up. HOwever clearing this out usually involves taking out the core plugs, flushing out, then putting new core plugs in. First off I'd get the radiator re-cored. The cooling on these cars was on the margin even when new in the hotter parts of the British Empire and Commonwealth.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

In my opinion the Jaguar sedans have a number of cooling flaws. One of the major ones is their is insufficient openings for enough air to flow and nothing to direct air to vent the engine bay. You should check out my replies to this posting about how to eliminate the engine bay issues,
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...e-area-167558/

To properly solve the engine bay issue it will require modifying the inner fender wells near the firewall for ideal flow.

As far as radiator I would not waste time with the old stock one at all. I would highly recommend a Wizard custom aluminum radiator and use electric fans with a shroud. In my V8 swap I could not fit the shroud due to clearance issues but a stock engine will be no issues.

Other things that can improve heat are getting the headers or exhaust manifold coated by "Jet Hot Coating" ideally the 2500 Extreme coat.

If you do not drive the car much you might be fine with the Wizard aluminum radiator with electric fans/shroud. If you really daily drive it in heavy stop and go, etc. then you should consider the ram air intake I outlined in the link above as that in my experience was the single most effective solution for heat, then next would be the radiator upgrade with electric fans, then the exhaust coatings.

Attached Thumbnails 1949 Jaguar MkV Overheating-img_1328.jpg  
Old 08-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

If the blocks are not clean in the water jackets, heads too, and radiators not flushed ever, overheating can be a problem. Timing can help because of the fuel problems. As these systems run with the minimum of pressure, cleanliness is extreme. You can add all the cooling fans, extra pumps, etc., but, you will still have hotspots.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Mkv overhaeting

Thanks for all your comments and advise.
I have had the radiator serviced, removed all core plugs and cleaned system, even set up a chemical circulating system for a few days.
Waterless coolant has been installed along Craig Davies pump and a 16" thermo fan. I can control the temp. anywhere from 65 to what ever on a 25 degree day. I have also installed after market air conditioning.
Still waiting for the litmus test of heavy traffic on a 45 degree day.
Thanks again.
I also have another question from you bods, re steering.