MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!

Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts

Here is a good picture of why the stock A-arms are not good for lowering the car and putting maximum tires on a Jaguar. The stock A-arms when you put coilovers and lower it the A-arms will hit the rim and to stop that temporarily I had to limit the turning ability and then it turned like a bus. Also when you lower it you change the geometry and you cannot shim it enough so you will waste a tire in literally a few thousand miles.

The old A-arms were close but we could not get adjust the camber enough and they were not the same. Basically at max we were still a little too negative. The tire wear was ok but probably lost about half of the tire life. Michigan Metal Works made an attempt to make a drop spindle but the weird shape could not take the heat treatment to make it strong and it ended up looking like a fire breathing dragon melted it into an unrecognizable piece of scrap metal. So instead of that we re-measured everything and changed the design so we would have enough camber adjustment without a new spindle. This set up will allow you to fit a 17" x 8.5" rim on all four corners with 245 wide tires with no rubbing and lower the car for a nice stance.

Attached Thumbnails 3.8 S Sleeper bodywork almost done!-dsc04709.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Liked 24 Times in 24 Posts

yes I see you have got better turning ability ,
but how much have you moved the front upright pivot point to get your camber that you want,
running 19" wheels on mine.
thanks,
David.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:41 PM

I will try to let you know once we install these improved lower A-arms. The current lower custom A-arms with the additional QA1 coilovers were the only new custom pieces not stock (other than some minor mods to mount the sway bar) and while we came close with adjusting it with the shims it could not be adjusted more due to the A-arm itself. The new ones reduce the distance from the bushing to the ball joint mount 1/2" shorter toward the bushing will then enable plenty of adjustment with shims to get both sides perfect. We also changed the openings to mount the coilover to fit better as the old one needed some mods to make it fit. When you are making custom one off suspension parts and while I shipped them a stock suspension setup they did not have the car nor coilovers, etc. so sometimes things are not perfect but this new set should be...

I think that if anyone wants to go full coilovers this new MMW lower A-arm with QA1 coilovers will enable it to be done on the stock suspension. Having the Jaguar with 245 wide tires front and back really makes a huge improvement in the handling.

The following users liked this post: primaz
TilleyJon (02-12-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by primaz View Post
I will try to let you know once we install these improved lower A-arms. The current lower custom A-arms with the additional QA1 coilovers were the only new custom pieces not stock (other than some minor mods to mount the sway bar) and while we came close with adjusting it with the shims it could not be adjusted more due to the A-arm itself. The new ones reduce the distance from the bushing to the ball joint mount 1/2" shorter toward the bushing will then enable plenty of adjustment with shims to get both sides perfect. We also changed the openings to mount the coilover to fit better as the old one needed some mods to make it fit. When you are making custom one off suspension parts and while I shipped them a stock suspension setup they did not have the car nor coilovers, etc. so sometimes things are not perfect but this new set should be...

I think that if anyone wants to go full coilovers this new MMW lower A-arm with QA1 coilovers will enable it to be done on the stock suspension. Having the Jaguar with 245 wide tires front and back really makes a huge improvement in the handling.
FYI, If you are wanting to lower your Jaguar 3.8s or MKII I think this is the ideal way to go. I wanted to report that the redesigned custom lower A arms and longer coil-overs are working great. The car has a nice stance and now I am getting very even tire wear with the ability to adjust the camber just they way I want which is slightly negative but only mildly so that I get full use of the tires. I have adjustable coil-overs on all four corners. The car is running 17" 245 wide 40 series run flats on all four wheels and the extra rubber really improves the handling. The car handles well but is still a smooth ride that is not harsh at all; a perfect balance for this daily driven Jaguar.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can help you get a set of the custom A-arms

Last edited by primaz; 09-26-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Default Train horn now has the power!

It seems like so many people think they can cut in front of a nice cool car and finally my train horn just got an upgrade that really makes it blast super loud! I had installed the Wolo Orient Express four trumpet train horn that was sold with a small electric direct drive compressor.
That worked just so so, as train horns really need more volume and higher pressures than any direct drive compressor can deliver. The problem with my Jaguar is that I have added so many modern options and the car is so low that I could not find any kit that would fit. What
I did was have "Dirty Works" a company mainly making custom air ride suspensions for motorcycles make a custom air tank to my specifications. That enabled me to squeeze into the only place that I could find any space which was in the rear before the gas tank. It is a
stainless steel tank tied to a Viaair trunk mounted air compressor. Now the horn sounds incredibly cool and loud! One other cool feature I did was run an automotive air line/fitting into my tool storage box in the trunk; now I can easily plug my coiled 25' air line and fill the air
of any tire using the same new air compressor system.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 PM
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

Baddd assss! That tank looks like a bomb hanging in a bomb bay door.
Sticking with the ahhh ooooga horn I found in my inner fender.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:41 PM

Finally I can give those idiots that should have their license revoked the horn! Northern CA is starting to get like Socal with so many maniacs that tailgate and drive like morons so a loud horn is becoming as important as your headlights.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Liked 1,302 Times in 1,060 Posts

Primaz, have you switched the STOP/DRIVING bulb socket with the TURN SIGNAL socket at the tail lamps?

this raises the STOP/DRIVING lights to the TOP position, and lowers the TURN SIGNAL bulbs to the lower position.

this results in more visibility and safety when the brakes are pressed.

in my car, I went a step further and reproduced the LOWER tail light lenses in Amber color to differentiate the TURN SIGNALS from the Red STOP/DRIVING lights.

but you don't need the Amber lenses, you can just switch the bulb sockets at the tail lamp itself, aince they are removable.

Last edited by Jose; 01-16-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Primaz, have you switched the STOP/DRIVING bulb socket with the TURN SIGNAL socket at the tail lamps?

this raises the STOP/DRIVING lights to the TOP position, and lowers the TURN SIGNAL bulbs to the lower position.

this results in more visibility and safety when the brakes are pressed.

in my car, I went a step further and reproduced the LOWER tail light lenses in Amber color to differentiate the TURN SIGNALS from the Red STOP/DRIVING lights.

but you don't need the Amber lenses, you can just switch the bulb sockets at the tail lamp itself, aince they are removable.

Thanks for the information. I kind of like the all red tail lamps but if I change my mind I will send you a PM. One thing I did do is to add these LED license plate bolts which light up a bright red on all four bolts holding the license plate which helps people see that I am braking. Old cars do not have as large or as many rear brake lights so these give a little bit more exposure but are more stealthy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B59B626/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B59B626/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Default License bolt lights

This picture does not really show the true brightness as the car was in reverse and in real life the red it much more vibrant and stands out well. These are an easy upgrade and will provide four bright red LED lights when you press the brake to help people see you are braking but these look like plain chrome nuts when not lite up. I also have an LED back up light on the bottom section of the license plate as the stock lights really do not provide much visibility. The license plate also has a back up camera built in that displays on the rear view mirror. These four LED bolts provide the brightness/visibility of a third brake light without being seen when not in use.

Last edited by primaz; 01-19-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Default suspension powder coated and braced...

The Jaguar 3.8s came with a good 4 wheel independent suspension setup and with a bit of customizing it is now transformed to really hug the roads and perform like other modern performance sedans. The custom coil over suspension has been powder coated, rear end cage braced along with the rear lower A-arms gusseted to hold up to the V8. The car handles so well yet still provides a smooth comfortable ride, whether going thru the canyons or cruising at 80 miles per hour. Even when the car is going 75-100 mph it does not float like a boat yet drives with nice controlled handling and still provides a smooth ride.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Default Here is the train horn video

This is the Wolo Orient Express train horn that comes with a direct drive compressor but by replacing the direct drive to a 100% duty trunk air compressor tied to a small 150 PSI tank it really wakes up and provides a loud toot with a tap or a decently loud train horn by leaving the horn button down longer...