MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Sidewall Experiment Part Two -

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sidewall Experiment Part Two -

Redundant, I know. But I do enjoy experimenting and seeing what results may be had.
Hence, Part Two.

So I got an old tire that was laying about.
The tire was divided into two sides: Au Natural and Clean/Scuffed/Rinsed.
In an emergency, one probably won't be able to clean with soap, dry, scuff, wipe, and rinse a tire.
( Variable Note: the tire was a bit dusty and had some brake power on the sidewalls. But the tire did NOT have road grim on it consistent with a tire in daily use.)

Next, each side was sub-divided into sections: Plug Only, Plug & Dog Screen, Plug & Cloth, Plug & Fiberglass Mesh.
The DogScreen comes from the hardware store and is used on screen doors to inhibit dogs from plowing thru the screendoor and/or scratching thru the normal, thin metal mesh.
The Cloth and the Fiberglass came from extra roofing material I had available.
All are flexible, durable, and will not tear with out great, great effort.

Attached Thumbnails Sidewall Experiment Part Two --034.jpg   Sidewall Experiment Part Two --035.jpg   Sidewall Experiment Part Two --036.jpg   Sidewall Experiment Part Two --037.jpg   Sidewall Experiment Part Two --038.jpg  

Sidewall Experiment Part Two --039.jpg  

Last edited by 1964Daimler; 04-22-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Quick save not to love inputted text
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the problem is that a tire is dealing with 3,800 pounds of weight on top of it, coming at it from all 4 directions, N, S, E, W.

no adhesive is going to withstand those forces. What is needed is Vulcanizing, but that's another $20. dollars.

One time I went to a Goodyear Truck Tire plant to buy tubes, the only place that had Tubes; I watched the machinery used to vulcanize tires, forget it I thought, way too complicated.

The following users liked this post:
TilleyJon (04-23-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM

Jose, don't disagree with that point.
And thank you for noting the 3800 psi and your experience with Vulcanizing/tubes.

On counter point:

* The emphasis here is in an emergency. Yes, I know a spare is almost -- and should be - always available. There have been situations where a spare was not available, and/or more than one tire was damaged, or some other predicament beyond just a flat tire had occurred.
( I recall a story told in my youth of a man found dead in the Mohave desert because he had three flat tires and WAITED for help to arrive. )

* It's only a homemade experiment. It's not by any means scientific.

* The plastic bonder packaging states it hold up to 3770 psi. Very close to the psi requirement you note.

* The discussion of points and counter-points are a wealth of knowledge. Look at all the perspectives and bits of ideas coming out. That's worth the effort alone...

Old 04-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

I will say that if I was going out on the Mohave desert, I would have a satellite phone with me.
I would let someone know where I was going and how long I was going to be.

Not like that idiot who hacked his arm off in the movie "127 Hours".

But even with 3 flat tires, one would still have to wait 24 hours for the stuff to "cure" enough to drive on it.

I've destroyed road bicycle tires, for that I keep some duct tape handy in my patch kit to wrap around the inner tube to keep it from bulging out the torn side wall.
I've limped home like that, I wouldn't trust a fix like that over 10 mph.
The shoulders here in BC are pathetic, they are only swept once a year and there is glass, rocks, nails etc.
And by the time they're swept, there is so much crap, that the machine can't get it all. One pretty much needs a shovel.

Last edited by JeffR1; 04-26-2017 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1964Daimler (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JeffR1
I will say that if I was going out on the Mohave desert, I would have a satellite phone with me.
It was the 1970's. Cell phones not yet available to general public.

[QUOTE=JeffR1;1669996
But even with 3 flat tires, one would still have to wait 24 hours for the stuff to "cure" enough to drive on it.[/QUOTE]
Not so! The plastic bonder cures in 15 minutes! That's why it might have emergency applications...

Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 PM

Spoke to engineer who worked for a multi-national manufacturer of tires... Was told there are methods ways, and experiments have been undertaken. He has worked with ten year old tires flatten and split open by time, and they were revived and used.

Liability is the issue, not potential functionality.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1964Daimler
It was the 1970's. Cell phones not yet available to general public.

Not so! The plastic bonder cures in 15 minutes! That's why it might have emergency applications...

Old 07-28-2017, 04:23 PM

I finally finished this part two experiment, and the results were rather encouraging....

In addition to just the JB Plastic bonder alone, three other materials were used for reinforcement with the plug pieces: a fiberglass, a cloth for roofing, and screendoor mesh.

First, eight one inch plugs were coated with the plastic bonder, and inserted into the eight separated gashes mad in the tire.

All the different material pieces were cut into segments of two inches by one inch and placed over the plugs with a cof the plastic bonder.

The fiberglass almost disintegrated completely with the plastic bonder coating, This covered the entire plug and

Last edited by 1964Daimler; 07-28-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: ( I'll finish later w/pics