MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Stuck Clutch 1968 340

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Stuck Clutch 1968 340

Car gas been parked for 9 months while doing other work and I went to move it and even though the slave cylinder is fully disengaging the pressure plate, it refuses to go into gear when the engine is running.

With engine off, in gear and the clutch all the way in _ the car lurches forward as if the clutch peddle is not even de-pressed.

I know the pressure plate is disengaging because I can see the fulcrum arm come all the way to the end of its travel _ it's almost touching the bell housing.

Adjusting the rod on the slave cylinder to take up any slack does nothing to improve things, but as I said the clutch fulcrum arm has reached the end of travel.

Clutch peddle feels very solid and heavy, typical of a 68 with a manual.

Has any one come across this situation before ?

At this point it looks like I'll be dropping the trans to find out what's going.
Don't really have much of a choice, but I may be missing something, so I thought I would post before doing majour work.

Last edited by JeffR1; 07-16-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul

Hi Jeff, I have experienced your problem before,your clutch hydraulics and cover/pressure plate are all doing just what their ment to but your friction plate is seized/stuck onto the flywheel,its been sat for 9mths sandwiched tightly under spring pressurei between the cover and the flywheel so even tho your releasing that pressure when you press the clutch pedal the plate is stuck to the flywheel,think your best route would be to sit the wife in the car(presuming shes lighter than you?) foot to the floor on the clutch pedal and 2nd gear selected,you and mates 2 front 2 at the back rock the car as hard as you can,hopefully it will let go.Only other choices jack up rear end,run the car and let the jack down-the sudden shock as the wheels meet the ground would free it but you may rip the centre out of the clutch plate if its heavily seized,I wouldnt try this myself,or split the engine gearbox and free the clutch that way-lot of work mind! Good luck, Regards Paul.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that and the conformation, that's what I was looking for.
I'll let the forum know what happens.
It may be a little while, too many projects on the go.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

My dad fixed one once by allowing the engine to warm up then switching the engine off, starting the car up in first gear with his foot on the clutch and then driving it a short distance till it freed up, the only problem is if it doesn't then you are stuck with the car in the road.

Another option might be to ask a friend to tow you with a straight bar very slowly with the car in gear and you foot on the clutch, the movement might free the clutch off.

As a last resort you could jack the car up, ask someone to press the clutch pedal and then see if you can tap the flywheel through one of the holes in the bedhousing to possibly show the clutch free.

Best of luck, as its a pain to remove the engine I would exhaust all avenues before you resort to this. If its only been 9 months you should be able to get it to free off.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I have seen this many times, usually a bump start and a short drive operating the clutch pedal on and off usually frees this issue, it's just like having a handbrake seize on when it's been stood up, which is why I never leave a car or trailer with the handbrake on for any length of time, unfortunately we don't have that option with a clutch.

The rocking idea may well work, but if you live in quiet area, the drive is the easy one.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, I'll finish putting the engine bay back together as well as the brakes and work at it before dropping the trans.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had clutch pressure plates stick before on various cars, and found this method to be the most reliable way of freeing them:-
1) Jack up rear of car, axle stands under the rear axle, so rear wheels off the ground.
2) With engine off, engage third gear. Start engine, run at about 2000 rpm, with rear wheels spinning round nicely.
3) Foot on clutch pedal, then other foot on brake. The "reverse inertia" will free off the clutch plate. It might take 3 or 4 goes, but it invariably works.

It wasn't clear from your post if you had the engine installed and running, but this is an obvious requirement for this method to work!
Good luck!

Richard

The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (07-26-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Clutch is free !

Richard gets the gold star !

Worked first time, made this odd sound like spring letting go that was under tension.

Thanks for the reply's everyone and a special thanks to Richard !
I didn't relish the though of dropping the trans.!