MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld

Yes, I know: not a Jaguar specific discussion. But the board here is so knowledgeable, and I want learn so much from the discussions, I will post and ask for responses and opinions.

So last night I was driving my beater car, and just as I got home, a load hiss was heard thru the passenger window. Immediately I knew what happened: there was a half inch gash of the front tire sidewall. ( Watch those curbs, kids! Tire rash kills tires! )

My immediate thought: a new JB Weld experiment!
( The tire needs to be replaced, but here's a chance to try something, learn something, and see the results. )

So I got a Slime puncture kit and cut off a small segment of the gooey plug.
Then I covered the plug in the standard JB Weld ( The gray stuff )
The covered plug was stuff into the gash, and about an inch area around the now-inserted plug was also covered with JB Weld.
It sets overnight.

The next day, the insert is trimmed.
I cover the entire now hardened covering with JD Weld Plastic Sealer to add a second layer of coating.
It hardens in about three hours, and I let it cure over night.

Next morning, I re inflate the tire.
So far everything is holding air!
I drive the car around the block, and then reinspect: Still holding air!
Update forthcoming:

Last edited by 1964Daimler; 04-04-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Here are the pics.
I drove the car down about a mile,and the tire is still holding.

I inspected the seal, and the plastic bond actually pulled off the regular JB weld. So maybe the first layer should have been the plastic bond... don't know...

I'll scuff and clean the surface again and reapply the plastic seal
( I did neither the first attempt )
Maybe that and a patch will be a better hold.

Perspectives requested.

Attached Thumbnails Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-032.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-035.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-029.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-030.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-031.jpg  

Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-034.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-037.jpg  
Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

the failure was the Grey JB Weld, it sucks, you needed to roughen the inner area of the tire and first apply a layer of the new Plastic Bonder, then the patch, allow to dry, then re-roughen and recoat it with a layer of the new plastic Bonder. I bet it would have held.

what I think is that the Plastic Bonder is not flexible so the bonding will not last.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

This is pretty risky, when it fails, it could cause a fatal accident.
JB Weld is not for fixing tires.
There is nothing out there that can safely repair sidewall damage, not even a tire shop will do it because it's such a liability.

The following users liked this post:
csbush (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

If you are just fixing the tire like that to drive it slowly to the junkyard, okay. I would imagine that the second time it blows will be more dramatic.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Oh come, let's not be so negative ..... I can see a great benefit from this experiment....

1)- It's better than doing the chores your wife wants done !!!

2)- You could show the kids, and tell them that if they do it again they will have to drive the car with that as the repair, that should put them off !!

3)- I've now run out of benefits !!!

Last edited by TilleyJon; 04-05-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

I fail to see what benefit this experiment has? If it holds , so what? we all know its dangerous to repair sidewall damage so all you are doing is encouraging others to do it. Someone is going to get killed and you may end up in jail

Old 04-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

oh dear, sense of humor failure !

Old 04-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry but this is not funny at all, seriously you could kill someone.if you think that is funny you really do need locking up

Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Firstly, thank you for all the perspectives and remarks. This exactly why I post here: the variety of responses, perspectives, and knowledge.

Universally, on this board and outside in the tangible world, everyone agrees: the tire MUST be replaced. The JB patch is not roadworthy nor safe; the tire will be replaced.

BUT>>>>

The reason I did the experiment is to determine in an emergency situation --- stuck with a blown tire or something in the middle of nowhere with help not coming --- MIGHT this be a possible solution/quick fix that gets one back up and running?
( And yes, I've been there. Not fun. Lone and isolated on a deserted road is a serial killer's delight. )

It is better to test the concept in a more controlled, safe surrounding. A $5.11 tube and some extra patch in the trunk might make a differnce. So the effort continues.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Today the patch area was washed, scuffed, and washed again.
Then a bit more of the Plastic bond was put over the the plug area.
The tire still holding air, and it was driven a few miles.

Again, it will be replaced. But as noted, this experiment/DIY efforts might help to determine if this product and plugs could be used for a short term solution in an emergency. Thus far, it seems so....

The following users liked this post:
csbush (04-06-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Update: thus far the tire still holds air. Never went flat.
Here's a pic of the original patch that peeled off.

It was a combination of stand gray JB Weld ( GJB ) that and the Plastic Bonder.
As can be clearly seen, the Plastic bonder pulled off the gray JB Weld.
As Jose noted, the plastic bonder should probably go on first and possibly is all that is needed.

The cracks only occurred on the gray JD Weld, and no cracks were on the black plastic bonder.
It also needs to noted the plastic bonder remains flexible while the GJB was rigid and offered little flex.

Some variables to consider:
This is the original patch that was put on the sidewall.
This was done WITHOUT cleaning the sidewall and while the tire was flat without air inside.
This mean the sidewall did not have the convex bulge curve that comes when inflated with air.

Might a dirty sidewall have affected the removal of the two patches?
Might the inflation and resulting bulging on the sidewall going from somewhat flatter to more curved lifted the patch off?
Interesting points to consider

Attached Thumbnails Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-037.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-038.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-039.jpg  

Last edited by 1964Daimler; 04-08-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:34 PM

The experiment has ended, somewhat.
The tire was replaced this morning ($80 ).
During the entire time after the Slime plug was inserted with gray JB Weld, dried overnight, and then re-inflated, the tire always held air.

Here's what that plug looks like from within the tire. ( Pics )
Note tht the plug is upright and firmed.
The JB Weld covered and held.
Note the interior of the tire is clean.

More study is needed, particularly on long drives.
Simply, it wasn't safe to do so here. A closed track would be the preferred environment for safety concerns.

That noted, real life applications could be of use in emergencies where assistance is far, far away. ( And yes, I've had that happen. )

Another real life application might be for homeless living in cars.
I do some efforts with the homeless, many if not most living in their cars.
They tell me tales where their tires are punctured/slashed on the sidewalls either by vandals or other homeless ( yes, homeless do indeed have a subculture where they retaliate on each other if "Proper respect" is crossed or not given )

A $75 replacement of just one tire is beyond their finances. Two or three tires will never be replaced. And even getting a used tire at just $40 destroys their measly budget for a month. Often, the car sits and gets towed, with whatever personal belongings also taken. Now the person is out on the streets literally.

This plug with sealant MIGHT be a short term alternative to stop the progression of events until an alternative is found. More experimentation and testing is needed.

Perspectives please

Attached Thumbnails Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-040.jpg   Tire Sidewall Puncture: Another Experiment with JB Weld-039.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Coda conclusion:

The Plastic bonder might indeed have application for emergency situations where the side wall is cut.

This is of potential applicability for emergency situations as the bonder seals in 15 minutes. If the situation requires extended time frames ( long hours to days ), the situation is beyond a DIY fix.

At $4.74 a packet ( the price went down a bit ), it isn't going to hurt to have it in the car's emergency kit.

Also I would not hesitate to cover this on a plug that is going into the tire tread, say after a nail was removed from the tread. It is a far better choice than the suggested rubber cement that comes in a repair kit.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

I just can't help myself _ you have too much time on your hands man.
Come over to my house and I'll put you to work...
And in an emergency, I would use my spare tire _ which I look after and keep it inflated.

The following 2 users liked this post by JeffR1:
1964Daimler (04-25-2017), TilleyJon (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

I have to say I have wanted to say that too Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by TilleyJon:
1964Daimler (04-25-2017), JeffR1 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JeffR1
I just can't help myself _ you have too much time on your hands man.
JeffR1 - You are indeed correct... too much time.
But that noted, the experimentation is a benefit of and within itself.
Worst efforts to other bad ends could be undertaken.

Again, this is for emergencies where a spare is not available or some other situation:
"It is better to have and not need than to need and not have."