New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Bad Inner Tie Rod end(joint?)-Replace just Tie Rod?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Inner Tie Rod end(joint?)-Replace just Tie Rod?

Is it possible (easily?) to replace the JUST the passenger side front tie rod, instead of replacing the whole rack as I have been told? I see available tie rods for sale, much cheaper than the whole rack. I have a 2001 S-Type.
In the pix of the individual tie rods, I see threads at the inner end, and what appears to be a large 'NUT' to use to screw it into the rack (looks like a place for a large wrench or pipe wrench which is probably under the boot at that end??).
Has anyone ever attempted successfully to replace just the tie rod? If so, any advice/hints?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

Welcome to the forum - plenty of info and support here - recommend checking out the How To's in the S-Type/S-Type R section (link provided below)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/

Also check out the Lower Atlantic regional section and recommend adding a signature to your profile by clicking the User CP link in the upper left (include model and year for best responses to your questions)

Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum SamOscarBrown,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar forums.

You'll be relieved to hear the answer is yes - you can just replace a track rod end.

Follow Steve's link to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-04-2013, 08:13 AM

Thanks Steve, Graham...I THINK if found the solution in the S-Type link:
Does this sound correct to ya'll?
"say if it is the left inner needing replaced turn the wheel full right remove
clamps on inner boot and slide boot off there is no pin just locktite put a
wrench on the flats and turn counter clockwise,add locktite when installing new
one"
As mine is the right (passenger) tie rod, I ASSUME the rotation is still counter-clockwise--would I be correct in that assumption? And, forgive my ignorance, but when one refers to left or right, they mean driver or passenger, respectively, correct?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar ForumsSamOscarBrown,

Good to have you with us.
Left and right is always as viewed from the drivers seat.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM

I have looked at, yanked at, pulled at, and yell...no, didn't do that, the passenger side tie rod. Don't feel any movement whatsoever (outer end is still on and tire is still on). BUt, I guess if a computer tells me it can't be aligned because this joint (inner pax) is bad, will have to take their word for it (Pep boys).

So, before I order the correct tie rod, I noticed the boot has two clamps, one at either end (large inner, small toward outer).

The clamp on the outer will come off, I am sure, with a set of pliers, however, the clamp on the larger end (toward inner), is of a different style than I am used to.

The boot itself looks fine, but want to know if I should also order a new clamp, as I am not sure how to get this one off yet (haven't put the car on the lift (or ramps) yet. Any suggestions on what to use to remove this clamp?

And, I DO believe the counter-clockwise rotation for removing this side is the proper direction, but have not yet attempted---want to know how to remove the clamp, will I need a new one?, before I order the tie rod.

Last edited by JimC64; 11-04-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: LINE BREAKS ADDED!!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 PM
GGG

Are they telling you the Tie Rod (item 5) or the Tie Rod End (item 3) is worn?

Bad Inner Tie Rod end(joint?)-Replace just Tie Rod?-s-type-steering-linkage.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

The usual wear is in the Tie Rod End (a.k.a. the Track Rod End). You don't need to disturb the rubber boot to replace this.

Graham

Old 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM

I had already replaced the outer tie rod ends (both sides)--I could see those joints were bad--even before I took it to Pep Boys for an alignment. In addition, I replace both wheel knuckles (with lower ball joints)(I replaced the knuckles because the cost was not much more than getting just the two ball joints!!!) So, outsides are good. They told me the INNER Tie Rod (end--no such thing, but I understand) joint was loose (had play, according to the computer). So, yeah, will need to remove the boot to replace the tie rod. Help?

EDIT...sorry, didn't completely answer your question...#5.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
GGG

Check this thread - others have had the same issue:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-68198/

Graham

Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks Graham...yes, I had already seen that thread...just the question about the boot remains.
ALSO, I have found tie rods on Ebay....Found OUTER tie rod ends and the entire steering rack at geekparts, but no other place for JUST the tie rods other than Ebay...any source you know of?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard ....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or looking for General info about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....

The following users liked this post:
SamOscarBrown (11-05-2013)