New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First car, first Jag. I can see a pattern emerging here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts
Default First car, first Jag. I can see a pattern emerging here.

This all happened quite unexpectedly; I temporarily moved away from my apartment due to renovations (having a balcony built seems to take a while), and realised that I need a car to get to work and back.

I was initially just looking for something with a bit extra power and 4WD, and after endless Subary Legacys and the occasional Audi I noticed that X-Types were also starting to squeeze into the budget. Completely by accident, I found a 2001 X-Type 2.5 Grenoble, France, and started to look into it. It had done 61000km, and looked very tidy in the photos.

After stalking this forum (installed JTIS too!) and exchanging a lot of emails with the owner, I traveled to Grenoble to look at the car. It was in an amazingly good condition (always kept in a garage, and the tires were filled with nitrogen!), especially considering the 11-year age. I got the car, drove it through France, Switzerland and Germany, then shipped it to Finland over the Baltic Sea. It's now been a week and 1500km since the first time I met the car in person, and as such I consider it a good moment to do some introductions.

Click for slightly larger pics:

There's a bit of stuff on my to-do list now:
  • Tiny scratches in front and rear bumber -> make-up pen or something
  • RH wing mirror LH adjust is not working (cogs apparently) -> fix
  • Front bumper grille is missing -> replacement
  • Left muffler has surface rust -> stainless replacement
I'd appreciate input (I can take these to the X-Type subsection if necessary) on the front bumper grille; what should it look like ordinarily?

Also regarding stainless steel exhausts; Adamesh vs Mina Gallery? The price is practically the same. The chambers have a vast difference in size, and there is more information & videos available on the Mina exhausts.

All in all, nice to have finally officially "arrived" here!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Well done. Welcome. The lower grill would have just had a horizontal splitter that clips on. I'm still waiting for a sound clip on the Adamesh exhaust so if you go that route, please post it up. No one has any complaints on the Mina system that I recall.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome Aonsaithya,

Great choice of car and a great trip home with it.

Go to the X-Type section for help with minor fault on parts and the Detailing section for advice on the scratches. If scratches are not through to the basecoat, they can often be polished out.

Graham

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
Sounds like a good one.

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you all!

mohrd: I found out it's called a "splitter vane", good to hear that it clips on just like that. Already discovered several on eBay, with painting to color code included! Now I just need to find out the exact code for "Platinum 1916", unless the 1916 in the name isn't a year

Norri: I added a signature just now, but curiously it does not appear below my post despite several refreshes. I know that on some forums one may specify whether to use signature while posting, but I can't seem to find the editing button anywhere either. Are signatures hard-coded into messages, and thus do not appear/change in old posts when a signature is added/changed in the CP?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to Jaguarforums, good to have you here with us

congrats on your X type.....the AWD will be great for you I'm sure......There will be plenty for you to read over in the X section and the guys will be happy to help you with any issues...............

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
so jump on in and enjoy

Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice job on the pictures, and congratulations on the purchase. Good pattern to start.

I just bought my first Jaguar two weeks ago, a 2000 XKR. This forum is a wonderful window on the Jaguar world.

Welcome.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again for the welcomes & the account upgrade!
Hehe, apparently the signature system works just as I presumed. I also notice now that I can edit my posts, which I could not do earlier.

Good & bad recent stuff:
-Some oil was leaking from the transfer case. It's done & fixed now, Jag-Finn had some Jaguar-certified glue-solution.
-My car has no DSC although the advert mentioned "ESP"...
-Washed the seats with Marseille soap ("Le Chat"), as they were a bit darkened & stained. Now they absolutely shine!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome to the forum