New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First car's a Jaguar because I'm broke. Yep

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First car's a Jaguar because I'm broke. Yep

The story goes: I had just graduated college, had a summer job a few hours away, and desperately wanted to drive myself. Through the grapevine, I was offered a '96 Vanden Plas in British Racing Green. A college graduation gift. The guy had bought a newer Jaguar, and was going to scrap this one. My boyfriend and I brought it home, gave it a thrice-over, got it inspected, and I was on my way after replacing a light bulb and connector, June, 2017. I named him Basil. Since then, I have patched up the exhaust, replaced all four oxygen sensors, fuel filter, front brakes, one front brake caliper, rear differential oil, front catalytic converter pipe, new battery, rear wheel bearings, working on front wheel bearings... Plus tires, windscreen wiper, oil changes... That might be it. And there's still a LOT to go. He's definitely a project car, but it is rare for me to take him somewhere and not have someone comment on him. That's pretty neat. He's a NY car, so the undercarriage and wheel wells are pretty rusty, and I got in a small accident about a month ago that did no small amount of damage to my driver's door, but he's been exceptionally reliable and fun. My dad was a professional mechanic (he passed away in June, never got to see Basil, although he was very much an American muscle guy, so he was less than impressed), I'm a carpenter, and my boyfriend is a bit of a Renaissance man, so we're pretty good at getting things done ourselves.

If you're interested (or have advice), below is the list of things that need to be taken care of (or just don't work):
A/C
Moonroof (doesn't open)
Clock display
Cupholders
Windscreen washer fluid
Handbrake (when they did my rear wheel bearings, the only thing I've had done at a shop, they snipped the cable and said it was too expensive to replace it, even though I have new cables)
Radiator mount
Exhaust system (needs more extensive repair/ replacement)
Leaks power steering fluid and transmission fluid
Rear differential (needs replacement, as the pinion is eating itself, but he might rust out before that dies)

The following users liked this post:
GGG (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Originally Posted by TryHard
...Handbrake (when they did my rear wheel bearings, the only thing I've had done at a shop, they snipped the cable and said it was too expensive to replace it, even though I have new cables)
In my world, if The Shop "snipped" that cable, The Shop would replace it AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE! And they wouldn't be allowed to shine me on about it because I would be breathing down their necks until they did. Or Litigation might be in their future.

That's Ridiculous!

Congratulations on all your successful repairs to this point. Someone will be along soon to direct you to the correct section where you can get help and advice for all that other stuff.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 12-10-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 AM
Received 3,841 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 AM
Received 10,336 Likes on 6,838 Posts

23LDOM3.

Many Gold stars from way down here for that challenge, and the sense of humour, The latter is mandatory for Jaguar ownership, and staying sane.

The X300 Section will have any answers you need.

I am with Elinor, and would return with a Baseball bat, and wait whilst they replace those cables, and supply you the waiting coffee. They are not that hard to replace, fiddly and time consuming, for sure.

Good luck with the rest of upkeep.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums TryHard,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 4,187 Likes on 3,650 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forum TryHard,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Thank you for an excellent and entertaining Intro.

I can see you've already found your way to the X300 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Northeast Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northeast-35/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I didn't mention about the handbrake cables is that they were already irreparably seized (we tried working the handbrake, and setting a torch on them, but it was a no-go. Pulling the handbrake resulted in a guitar-string-like twang). The handbrake is also basically seen as an add-on by NYS inspections now, and no longer required (or, absolutely no one checks them, anyway)

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

If a shop did that to me without asking me first, they would never see another dollar from me.

Welcome to the forums and best of luck with the new car.