New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is my starter gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my starter gone?

I have a 97 XJ6; about 68000 miles. I don’t drive it much. A few times after driving after cutting the engine off the car wouldn’t start. After a few minutes of sitting the car started. A few days ago I went to start the car, it started up and then it cut off, due to sitting and the cold. I tried to start the car again all I heard was a high pitch grinding sound. Now when I turn the key to start all I hear is a faint motor turning sound. The engine doesn’t turn, I just hear a turning motor sound. Is the starter gone? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

It does sound ominous.
You should head on over to the XJ6 (X300 I think) section and ask the gurus.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Norri has pointed you in the right direction to take care of your problem. Good luck in tracking down the issue(s).

Enjoy all the site has to offer!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As per the above advice.

Don't know about the 97's.

But I would suggest that the solenoid actuator mechanism is sticking and not throwing the starter gear into the ring gear.

If this was one of my LRs, with a 100% battery I would place an iron bar on the starter and give it a good whack with my favourite tool to free it up.

Anyhow, ask in the X300 section, the guys are pretty good.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there and welcome to the site, good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums.com

Hope we can help with any issues / questions you may have ....check out the relevant section for the best advice!!

There are some great guys here, top techs, good info and more than a few laughs here n there, so jump in and enjoy......

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site.......enjoy your time here

Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Starters have what's called an "OVERRUNNING CLUTCH" just behind the gear. It keeps the engine from spinning the heck out of the starter if you are slow in letting the key go. When they go bad, you will hear the starter motor spinning without the engine turning. That would be time for a replacement starter.

If you just hear a loud clicking without the engine turning, then you have a bad spot on the starter armature and the pull in winding isn't getting a ground to pull the gear into the ring gear.

It is possible that the ring gear got chewed up by a bad starter. You'll have to turn the engine over manually and try the starter again to see.

All of this is based on the battery being good.

Have someone turn the key while you look and listen to what is going on under the hood.

Years ago, I was told to change out the starter on a Ford Bronco that the company was going to send to the auction. I changed the starter and it still motored without turning the engine. I went under the Bronco with a remote starter switch and gave it a try. I found that the crankshaft had busted just in front of the flywheel. At the auction there was a biding war over who was going to get a Bronco that only needed a new starter.

Last edited by Glendoramike; 11-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is a diagram of the wiring inside of a starter. When you turn the key the pull-in and hold-in windings get power. The pull-in winding gets its ground throught the armature of the starter. When the connector plate makes contact inside of the solenoid; the pull-in winding loses its ground as the power is now flowing to the armature. The hold-in winding keeps the starter engaged until the key is turned back to run.

If the pull-in winding doesn't get ground through the armature (bad spot) then the plate won't make contact inside of the solenoid and the starter won't spin.

Attached Thumbnails Is my starter gone?-x-type-starter.jpg  
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the car towed the best mechanic in Rockville, MD. I am glad I came across the Jaguar Forum. Thank you all for your help! Every one have a good weekend!