New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member From Seattle - Thanks For Sharing Your Knowledge!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member From Seattle - Thanks For Sharing Your Knowledge!

Hi! I came across this forum last week while researching issues I've been having with my 2000 Jaguar XJR, which has 85K miles on it. This is an amazing site! I wanted to join as an official participant of this community so I can go back and "thank" the specific posts I've referenced already and ones I'm sure to reference in the future. I've never worked on cars before but I'm pretty good at following directions, so this site has been a gamechanger for me. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

I've had this car since 2009 and have had it worked on regularly since then but that was getting so expensive so I wanted to try working on it myself. My car was regularly going into "Fail Safe Engine Mode" at the same spot on my way home every day (on the freeway up a steep hill). Based on posts in this forum, it seemed this issue might be related to the throttle body, so i got some throttle body cleaner and cleaned the throttle body as well as i could without taking it out and also tightened the slack on the throttle cable. That helped A LOT. I can now get home without stalling everyday. However, now on that same hill I can't go above 40 mph - if i try to give the car more gas, it goes into "Trac not available", "ASC not available", and then finally "Fail Safe Engine Mode". I then pull over and turn the car off and start it back up with no issue, and as long as I don't give it too much gas, i can make it over the hill and it's smooth sailing home.

So I'm thinking I either need to replace the throttle body and/or from other posts I've read it appears this might be related to the fuel filter/pump/relay. I'm someone who regularly runs down their tank to almost empty (I won't be doing that anymore!) and so it's definitely possible I compromised the filter. I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it eventually, since there is such a wealth of info on here.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forums professorplume,

Good to have you with us and to hear you've been finding useful information.

I can see you've already found your way to the X308 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

You can also visit the US Northwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Graham! I appreciate the nice welcome and orientation.

Sincerely,
Ruth

Old 04-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello, Ruth,
I'm so glad you've found useful information how to get your Jaguar running smoothly again.
I hope you get all that sorted soon so you can drive up Any hill with no further problems.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Wlcome to teh Forums.

Well done so far, and all I see constantly, on various Section is here, is the battery. An old/dying/tired battery will reek havoc with these cars and throw up all sorts of odd messages, and the limp mode. Maybe??

My X300 (previous to your model) did that, battery tested OK, but age unknown, new battery, sweet as.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Welcome aboard Ruth.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Ruth,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!