New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member w/ '85 XJ6 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member w/ '85 XJ6 VDP

First wanted to say hi.

Hi!

Now for a little my history of my Jag, for future reference.

Being an "old-school" kinda guy, I was very interested when my mechanic (working on my '80 MB SL450) showed me this '85 XJ6VDP, with about 165K miles, that was up for sale. Since the SL450 was having major problems (hydraulic brake caiipers leaking bad - $$$), I managed to sell it, and get the Jag for - what I think - was a good price. And while it was "functional", it did have a lot of problems. By "functional" I mean that it passed inspection, it started, and it would drive - most of the time.

Eventually I met a guy who was rebuilding a similar XJ6 model, and got him to do work on mine.

The first thing he did was to look at the wiring harness under the bonnet. He swore that there was no physical way that the car could run, considering almost all of the wires had no insulation! So that was the first thing replaced.

The rest was mainly replacing worn out parts (seals, hoses, and a cracked flywheel), then tuning (timing, valves, etc), and finally replace all fluids. After all of that, and once I replaced the P5 tires, the car drove like a cream-puff! The guy said that it probably is running better than it did off the showroom floor. I finally felt confident enough to drive the car around the city (San Francisco), as well as on the area highways. And after many years, and a few minor (but not cheap) leaks, it still is that cream-puff. I did need to replace the catalytic converter in order to pass CA's latest smog tests (definitely not cheap), but after that, it has continued to pass the tests with a lot of room to spare.

After the engine was done, I then started to look at fixing up the body. (Un)fortunately, a truck (with no insurance :-( ) ran a stop sign and hit the right front side of the car. Luckily, the frame held, and there was only cosmetic damage - front side panel, front grille, and bonnet. So now I had an excuse to get the body work done. This included some major rust, leaking window seals, and - most visibly - uneven faded paint. Even though the insurance would only pay for the damaged areas (a small part of the entire car), I decided to bite the bullet and get the entire body done, including a full paint job with the original colour. That was definitely not cheap, but now the car probably looks just as good as it did on that showroom floor.

The only thing left to do now is the interior. The headliner, along with the leather on the front seats, needs to be replaced. Also, as is typical for these Jags, there are a few electrical glitches inside that still need to be fixed. But most of that will have to wait, till my piggy bank fills up again.

So now I have a well running, classy looking (at least on the outside) classic Jaguar. This is what I really enjoy. I could have spent the same money on a new car (maybe not a Jag), but ... need I say more?

(Oh, I should mention that all of this began about the mid 2000's, and the car is still that cream-puff.)

That's my ride now, along with a couple of Triumph motorcycles - keeping things British.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-29-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Well, lets see now:

Older Jaguar, invested too much money and time.
CHECK
Owns Triumph motorcycles.
CHECK
Seemingly happy with all the above.
CHECK

I'm happy to say that the worms in your head are sufficiently large and numerous.
You'll fit in perfectly here!
Welcome to the forum.

retro

Last edited by retromotors; 04-28-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum daytooner,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Thanks for the great Intro.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/ to the XJ6 Series I, II & III forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/western-us-ak-ca-nv-ut-hi-wa-id-38/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Welcome.

The Jag bug has taken hold, congratulations.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by retromotors
Well, lets see now:

Older Jaguar, invested too much money and time.
CHECK
Owns Triumph motorcycles.
CHECK
Seemingly happy with all the above.
CHECK

retro
Welcome to the forum, description seems to fit me as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:55 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums daytooner,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.