New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

PHX new guy with 87 XJ6 LT1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PHX new guy with 87 XJ6 LT1 conversion

Ok - my name is Jym Rodriguez. We live in Phoenix, AZ.
I just picked up a 1987 XJ6 with a 95 LT1 conversion. It's a very cool car. I joined the forum so I can learn from others.
It has been restored inside and out, but it does have a few issues.
There is an oil leak coming from the front of the engine and the tranmission has a hard time shifting when you get on it. It shift fime if you drive it like a normal person.
I'm looking forward to talking with you all and maybe meeting some in a the area.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Welcome aboard :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jym,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Your 1987 could be either a Series III or an XJ40 as both were available that year and both were badged XJ6!

XJ6 Series III

PHX new guy with 87 XJ6 LT1 conversion-xj-series-iii.jpg

XJ40
PHX new guy with 87 XJ6 LT1 conversion-xj40.jpg

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/ to the XJ6 Series I, II & III forum or this one XJ40 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJ40 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top of each is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Southwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/southwest-us-az-tx-nm-ok-37/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

jym welcome you will find plenty of info and support here simply follow the links Graham has provided - enjoy!!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Hello Jym,

Welcome! I live in Mesa. I'm not certain but wasn't 87 the first year of the XJ40 body style in the USA? Anyhow, it's tough to drive a Jaguar like a normal person. Especially one with a Chevy V8! I bet it cooks.

There are plenty of sedans and XJS around from the 70s and 80s that received a new lease on life with a Chevy V8. Ironically, since 1998 all Jaguars were powered by a V8 in the USA, until the X-type V6 came along.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jymrod

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Jym,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Default Series III XJ6 versus XJ40

The Ser III vs. XJ40 issue can be confusing.

The Series III XJ6 remained in production right thru April 1987 for the USA market*. These cars carried '1987' VINs and were sold as '1987 model year' cars. The XJ40 was introduced to the USA market later in 1987 as a '1988 model year' car with a '1988' VIN.

Since model year designations are not subject to interpretation in the USA....the model year is established definitively by the VIN and not by sale date, registration date, or build date....we can be confident that anyone residing in the USA with a '1987 XJ6' has a Series III car. I suppose there could be some oddball situation where a ROW XJ40 was grey-marketed into the 'States and titled as a '1987' but that seems very improbable to me.

Many aftermarket parts catalogs don't acknowledge the 1987 Ser III XJ6 so some caution is needed....or you'll end up with XJ40 parts. In fact, many people who are otherwise extremely well versed on all-things-Jaguar make the mistake of disregarding the 1987 model year Ser III XJ6 and refer to 1986 as the last year and sometimes refuse to accept otherwise, as though the USA market cars just don't count ! In actuality the biggest sales market for Jaguar is the USA and 1987 was a strong model year in terms of sales volume...so the 1987 Ser III XJ6 is very much a real thing :-)

Cheers
DD

* Probably Canada and Mexico as well, but I'm not certain

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Thank you all for your replies.
I have no idea if it is a Series III or a XJ40. I'll scheck the VIN and get back with you.

Question: The Jag is in great shape (inside and out). The motor coversion makes it very fast. The question is, why does it seem they don't hold their value. Is it worth keeping? The guy before me dropped tons of money into it, but the resale value doesn't seem to be there.
Is a 1987 XJ6 with a LT1 conversion worth investing in or keeping?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The quickest way to distinguish between a Series III and an XJ40 is the Series III has twin wipers but the XJ40 has a single wiper.

Jaguar values drop like a stone partly because of past reputations and partly because running and maintenance costs are high.

I always think you have to really want to own and drive a Jaguar. If luxury transport is the priority, there are many other less costly options.

Graham

Old 05-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jymrod
Question: The Jag is in great shape (inside and out). The motor coversion makes it very fast. The question is, why does it seem they don't hold their value. Is it worth keeping?

"Worth keeping" as an investment? Highly unlikely. Worth keeping because you really like it? That's up to you

The guy before me dropped tons of money into it, but the resale value doesn't seem to be there.

That's why most of us love 'em so much. Lots of car for little money

It's a hobby car. Very very few hobby cars are a good investment from a financial standpoint.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Jymrod

[...]

Question: The Jag is in great shape (inside and out). The motor coversion makes it very fast. The question is, why does it seem they don't hold their value. Is it worth keeping? The guy before me dropped tons of money into it, but the resale value doesn't seem to be there.

If someone is thinking of EVER getting their money out of one of these cars, or Any car they've restored/modified/converted, they're dreaming. It just ain't gonna happen.

The truth is, people only sink that kind of money and work into a car, Any car, strictly for themselves and because they love/d the car. If they think it will be an "investment" they're deluding themselves. If anyone else wanted to pay for all that stuff and expend all that effort in the beginning we would have done so. But we're only too willing to reap the benefits of someone else sinking all that money and work into their car and then finding an issue they don't want to deal with, got bored with it, fill in the blank, and then pushing it, for whatever reason, for whatever they can get out of it.

If you like the car then Drive The Car! Don't even think of it as an investment because you'll NEVER get your money back.
(';')

Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Mesa, AZ. Remember it has the Chevy LT1 under the hood.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Phx visit.

I will be in phx end of oct and nov. let me know if there are going to be any cruises or meet ups. Thx