S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From X to S :o)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default From X to S :o)

I lost the love for Jaguar with my X Type due to a dodgy transfer box causing vibrations through the steering wheel. The dealer refused to have this fixed under his warranty. He told me that it would be fixed when I noticed the problem on the test drive. So I picked the car up and the vibration was still there. To cut a long story short I got my money back after lots of hassle. (Nothing to do with Jaguar). But the dealer put me off these cars.

After a 3.2v6 signum and a 4.7 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have finally settled back on a Jaguar S type and all I can say is wow what an awesome car. Its smooth, powerful very refined, It handles like its on rails, It's very well balanced and looks the biz. Happy days, Its good to be back in a Jag.
2.5 V6 Sport.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,309 Likes on 2,827 Posts

The S-Type is indeed a great car. I purchased ours nearly five years ago with 18,000 miles on it, and it will cross 80,000 miles tomorrow. My December 2008 research had determined that it was the best bang-for-the-buck rear-wheel-drive sedan at the time, and I still enjoy it every bit as much today. The key is to study this site, learn the inherent weaknesses (there are a number of them), and address them yourself. Doing your own maintenance makes these vehicles affordable. If you must pay someone else to take care of the car for you, you can easily spend more than the car is worth on repairs....

I also loved the Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with all-wheel-drive. My wife had a 1996 model with the 5.2-litre engine, and it was indeed a workhorse SUV that we kept for almost seven years. She put more than 130,000 miles on it with the only major issue being a new alternator at about 90,000 miles....

Best of luck with your S-Type....

Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Thanks Jon
When I test drove the S Type I just knew I had to have it. Its one whole lot of car for the money. The ride is firm but soooo smooth, It goes around corners like its on rails. With rear wheel drive its a real drivers car. This one has full Jaguar service history. The bodywork is in near mint condition the interior is cream leather which is also very clean with no marks.
I normally do all of my own servicing. I'll be looking through loads of threads for hints and tips for what to look out for problem wise. At this moment I can't fault this car, I'm back in love with Jaguar.
Driving about on Britain's roads today you find them cluttered with BMW's Audi,and Mercedes. These used to be premium/prestige cars when I was a lad but now they are two a penny, every man and his dog has one! You can't say the same about the S Type Jag. Which makes it in my mine the more prestigious Motor to own. Mine is British built too It just oooozzes class and quality.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Congrats & welcome!

To a large extent you can regard the 2.5 as the same as the many HowTos for the 3.0 (mainly posted by Rick - joycesjag). (That's the 3.0 after 2002.5MY, VIN M45255-on.)

Have a look at DCCV, vacuum lines and so on. Just what you need for DIY.

Codes PDF, Vehicle Spec PDF, JTIS and so on are invaluable.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

My climate control is all working as it should. Do I need to check everything out?
If its not broken then why fix it!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve, welcome to the S-type forum!! The S-type is a great car and should serve you very well with the proper care. Lots of great information here on the S-type and even better peolpe to help if you have a problem.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Well, have a read. It'll fail at some point - probably. There aren't many common faults but a good time to read about them is before any hit!

If you're a DIY type, get a cheap OBD tool with live data (like the elm327, about a tenner) as it'll be sooo useful one day if you do get a fault. It's like owning a socket set before you suddenly need one. Ever tried going out to buy one when your car's already off the road...

The following users liked this post:
Steve_Jaggar (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The S Type is a much better car that the X and you have a Sport, like me, so no chrome. I wonder if the ride is too firm at times, but better than being too soft.
Any pix?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM

I already have an OBD2 reader, I'm an avid DIY'er so shouldn't be any problems with getting the oily bits fixed if or when they go wrong. My car has 100 k on the clock so it might have already have been done. Is there a way to tell? Its an 03plate.
I'll post some pics up soon, I only got it on Sunday. I gave her a good waxing today and a good valet inside. Maybe I should have taken some pics when It was finished as it looked stunning. I think the colour is Titanium. (metallic dark greyish)! Which is a stunning colour.
It has had a new speedo early in its life changed by Jaguar. Which is stated in the service history.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Might be Quartz.

Labels by front door include things like paint colour. And email jag via their web site - ask for full build specs and they generally just send them
Loads of info, all the interior trim colours etc - free

DCCVs are a Bosch part and just seem to fail randomly. Pesky but no big deal. (However, need a fast fix or it'll take out the RCCM.)

When you get to an oil change and think "all these bolts etc, what am I doing wrong" - you're not doing anything wrong.