S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 3L S-Type Intake manifold Insides Coated with Oil/Gears?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '02 3L S-Type Intake manifold Insides Coated with Oil/Gears?!?!?!

So I am elbow deep in getting to the coils and plugs on the "Bank One" side of my 3.0L engine. I have pulled off the intake plenum.

The only tough part was getting that 8mm bolt that connects it to the engine in the very back. Whoever was in there previously buggered up that head pretty well. I think I will replace it with an allen headed bot when I put it back together. That will make getting it out easier next time.

But I am really surprised at the amount of oil/grease coating the inside of the lower manifold. I did not flip the plenum yet to see how much is up in there. But there is a really thick black coating on the lower intake.

I was going to pull it anyway so I can replace the PCV valve. I will use some carb cleaner and get it good and clean. (Glad I went ahead and bought those gaskets too.)

Is this expected? I was surprised. Does it tell me anything else that I need to deal with on this engine while I am in there?

I hoe someone who has been into the intake on the 3.0L can tell me something about this.

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Default Lower Manifold Coated Inside with oil/grease!

Sorry. It has been a long day and I am too tired to type! It is not coated with gears! I hope you read this and have some ideas about how the oil/grease got there and whether it is normal or whether I need to do something to prevent it in the future!

Both banks, 1 and 2 have oil in them BTW. But it looks like there is more in Bank 1...

Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How many miles on your 02 Stype?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by FloridaJag
How many miles on your 02 Stype?
It's approaching 94K miles.

I took out both of the lower manifolds and used some carb cleaner to wipe the grease out of them.

But I am curious where the oil/grease might be coming from.

Last edited by BugDoc; 08-16-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I don't know the 3.0 but could the oil be from PCV?

Grease - I can't explain that! If some of the plugs/coils have been replaced and by non-jag parts might that be a clue? (I'm unsure as to what it would mean! An attempt to seal leaky gaskets using grease?)

Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
I don't know the 3.0 but could the oil be from PCV?

Grease - I can't explain that! If some of the plugs/coils have been replaced and by non-jag parts might that be a clue? (I'm unsure as to what it would mean! An attempt to seal leaky gaskets using grease?)
I think it was just thick black burned oil... might not have been gease originally, but it was thickly coated in there. I'm certain it trapped a good bit of dirt too since the air filter was caked with grim when I got the car. The PCV was clogged with oil, and a bit of oil came out of the manifold plenum. I have not opened the "intake manifold air valves" as Lincoln calls them on the LS (or the "Intake manifold tuning valves" as Jag calls them). But when I stood the Intake on the side to get some of the gaskets out, there was a bit of oil leakage. I saw in another thread that this is normal?!?!

I cleaned up the lower 'intake' stage good. It is like new now. Before I put the plenum ('upper intake manifold') back on I will make certain to clean the oil out of it was well.

In a previous post I said I was going to move the fuel injector from cylinder 5 to the other side, but since getting to any of the fuel injectors requires removing the whole rail, I plan to leave them all where they were so if there is still a problem I can see if it comes up in same cylinder.

Thanks again for your help and suggestion.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Just to foul things up more, there's sooty exhaust stuff blown in by the EGR, too.

Dunno how engines manage to work at all!!!

(Kidding - EGR can even be a good thing. Dirty, though.)

Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

As mentioned in different posts, oil in the IMT part of the manifold seems to be a common problem. Its unfortunite that Brutal (tech) no longer graces us here, he was experimenting "different" things to prevent the oil blow-by from accumulating in the valve holes.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

There's usually a filter (commonly small bit offoam plastic) for the blowby (PCV). Hardly anyone cleans or changes it

It's usually a crappy bit of foam; surely there must be a better way!

Does the S-Type have this, too?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
There's usually a filter (commonly small bit offoam plastic) for the blowby (PCV). Hardly anyone cleans or changes it

It's usually a crappy bit of foam; surely there must be a better way!

Does the S-Type have this, too?
I did not see any foam on/in the PCV valve I just took out and replaced. There is not much room for a foam filter in the PCV valve either. I supposed one could be put inline, but that would require taking the intake manifold off again. And I am not doing that again for a LONG time!

It was no fun, but the new coils, plugs, PCV valve, gaskets etc. seem to have our '02 3.0L S-type running like a champ again. I have only put about 50 miles on it since I finished her up around midnight last night. But she is starting stronger and running smooth.

The wife (who drives the car and instructs her personal mechanic - me) says it runs like a 'new' car. Phuueeew! I guess I saved a little money not having to buy a new vehicle right now...

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

BTW: Brutal and all other technicians!!!! We need you desperately! Please come back! PLEASE!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

The foam is usually where the breather tube connects to the air intake, which is commonly on the side of the air filter box. Those oily fumes are the reason many air fliter boxes have oil in them. I guess those fumes also help coat the MAF and stop it working properly

I'm pleased you got it back together and running well. Should be good for a lot more miles.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default any more pics Bugdoc

Bugdoc, I am just getting back to replacing the coils and plugs due to illness with mother. I saw the pics you posted on the drivers side. do you have any pics taking off manifold and anything on the passenger side I might be able to lookat to help in my effort. Aprreciate any direction if on the site where they could be. Thanks.