S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 S-type 3.0 New Trans Fluid = Trans fault

Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 S-type 3.0 New Trans Fluid = Trans fault

I changed the transmission fluid in my '02 3.0 s-type. Now I receive a transmission fault intermittently. It goes away once the car is off then restarted. The P0795 code also showed for a time before having it reset (and I await for it to return). I have added more trans fluid thinking it was an issue with the level. Thus far it doesn't appear to be a noticeable performance issue but I don't want to take a chance.

If anyone can help me, please see if you can answe any of these questions:
-How can I determine the trans fluid level?
-Is this a known issue that can be resolved with a reset?
-Is this a larger problem?
-Is it coincidentally occurring at a time when the fluid was changed?
-Any opinions on what to try next?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow! I sugest you search on here the proper way to change the tranny fluid. i might be speeking out of my *** cuz I'm not sure what tranny you have but if it's the 6 speed you in for a long weekend (or day if your a good wrench) just to change fluid the proper way.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a 6 speed

Just to clarify, it's an '02 which was the 5 speed. This car also has the sport button unlike many later models.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

See the existing write-up on how to do it but first you'll have to follow the new member rules you appear to have overlooked.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

WTF, what ATF did you install? The oil itself is well-nigh universal, but the additives it contains aren't. You need the right additives for the autobox. It's not a good idea to overfill (or underfill) these autoboxes. Remember the ATF expands considerably with temperature, which can be above 100*C, or to be more accurate, it's the viscosity modifier that expands, as it's intended to.
I would listen very carefully as to what the autobox is doing as you drive it, at normal operating temperature. Are the changes slurred at all? (Slightly jerky doesn't matter). Is there any torque-converter clutch shudder? How long does it take to engage gear from 'park' first thing with a cold engine?
You could try disconnecting the battery for a few second by lifting the negative lead (make sure you have the radio code to hand). Costs nothing and might work.
Failing that, I'd soldier on with it and see if the error code clears itself. If it doesn't, start thinking again. There are plenty experts here to help otherwise.
Leedsman.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskyTangoFoxtrot
Just to clarify, it's an '02 which was the 5 speed. This car also has the sport button unlike many later models.
All S Types have a "S" or sport button. Both the 5R55 Ford trans and the 6HP26 ZF trans.

Originally Posted by WhiskyTangoFoxtrot
If anyone can help me, please see if you can answe any of these questions:
-How can I determine the trans fluid level?
-Is this a known issue that can be resolved with a reset?
-Is this a larger problem?
-Is it coincidentally occurring at a time when the fluid was changed?
-Any opinions on what to try next?
The Ford trans is also a "sealed for life" transmission so you must check fluid level through the fill hole. You must read up on the service instructions since this procedure is temperature specific.

This will cover the rest of your questions... I assume you used the proper Ford Fluid? I also assume you filled it properly following the service instructions... There is another known issue with the Ford 5 speed. There are springs in the valve body that are known to fail. You may have inadvertently discovered the failure by introducing new fluid to the trans. Not to panic, since it is a pretty easy and inexpensive fix. Some DIYer's have done it for only a few bucks in parts.. But even having a trans shop do it will not be that much, and they will also make sure that the fluid is filled properly.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think it was tdc who posted a write-up