S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 STR Transmission Slip

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
What is the age and condition of the battery? A failing or weak battery can cause many random DTCs to be stored.

With the ignition in the OFF position for at least ten minutes, check the voltage across the terminals. It should be a minimum of 12.6 volts, if not, the battery should be replaced before doing any further diagnosis or repairs.
I replaced the battery just shy of one year ago.
I will check the voltage as suggested. Got the battery at Walmart. I went to advanced auto and autozone first however they needed to special order the battery and my battery was dead so I went with Walmart as they had it in stock.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

^^ What NBCat said....

There have been several prior instances here on the forum where owners have paid big bucks for a transmission overhaul or replacement when the underlying issue turned out to be nothing more than a failing battery. That would be a very costly lesson to learn....

Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

I've been using the Bosch battery as a replacement from Pep Boys

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-premiu...HC?quantity=1#

Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
...would look it over at no charge.
Big red flag in your first paragraph. An accurate diagnosis takes a little time. One big item is checking line pressures, which involves hooking up a set of gauges. I’d suggest finding a shop that charges at least an hour or two for diagnostic time, versus a shop that still incurs the cost but gambles on the payoff of you agreeing to spend the big bucks.

They suggested rebuilding the trans at a cost of $4900.
In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle:

Surprise, surprise!

Personally, I have very little transmission experience, but as the others have suggested, I’d consider a new battery first. That’s a $150 gamble with a fair chance of success, versus a crater where your wallet used to be.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

At about 76,000 miles my ZF began leaking fluid. Trip to the local Jaguar dealer and a fresh "sleeve" with complete overhaul set me back right at $1,000 but now works beautifully. I thought this was a pretty reasonably priced dealer repair. Technician noted that the ZF is common to a host of cars and the "sleeve" on the transmission is one area of common failure on all these cars...Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW etc. often needing attention around the 80-100k mile range.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM

The battery suggestions are interesting and made me think, the first time I had it slip on me was the first day of driving the car after it sat for a week and a half while I was away on vacation.
My car has been sitting all day today. It read 12.4V. I started the car and it went to 14.6V(I think). I drove the car around and then parked it. Went in to eat dinner and then went back out to check again and it reads 12.5V.
This is not far from the minimum of 12.6V suggested, but perhaps its worth a shot swinging by AutoZone to have them test the battery?

Old 09-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

This is not far from the minimum of 12.6V suggested, but perhaps its worth a shot swinging by AutoZone to have them test the battery?
My hunch is the typical test machine isn’t really calibrated for what our persnickety Jags require. A battery that shows good on the tester may still cause trouble for us. That same battery may be fine for other vehicles, but not necessarily on a Jaguar that requires 12.6v before start. That is a VERY high standard.

My next hunch is a better method is to hook up a battery charger every night for a week or so and see what happens. Of course you can still have the battery tested first, but remember if it shows good that isn’t really conclusive. Now hooking up a charger for a few days is a nuisance, but no whining. If your transmission now behaves itself, then you know low prestart voltage is the culprit. If so, the next step is to determine why, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (09-20-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Trevor, i read some of this per your private message. Since you have the level set to the correct level you need to have the transmission software loaded with the latest level and this also clears adaptations. Then drive normally not in sport mode and avoid forced downshifts (hard accel that causes downshifts) this is straight from zf for those gear box faults and any other trans issues. This i have found fixes almost all issues. And if they resurface then the trans does have a mechanicasl failure. Trans shop doesnt have the zf software? Then you dont need to be there. Go to the dealer and get it done its a hour charge.
On the fluid change i change pan, (filter and sleeve with updated bolts if not already on there. Next time in 60k i just do a drain and fill unless you have leaks from the pan or sleeve. Yeah the lines leaks but you nee to address the trans first cause if you do need the trans built if software doesnt fix then have the lines replaced then. It is a pia job either way as lines have to be bent to get in and bent back so nothing rubs after in place. Any big $$$ before the software update is money wasted

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Norri (09-25-2018), Trevor (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Brutal,

Thank you. Before your post this morning I called my local dealer to see if they had a tech familiar with these transmissions.
They said they do and I plan on dropping it off this afternoon for them to look it over.
I will bring the trans software updates to their attention when I drop it off.
Thank you for the input!

-Trevor

Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Just do a software update for now. Then drive and if it continues you know what you need to do at that point

The following users liked this post:
Trevor (09-24-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Just do a software update for now. Then drive and if it continues you know what you need to do at that point
Talked to the Jag tech after dropping my car off yesterday.
Stated he is unable to get the scanner to communicate to the TCM. Said he can get into other modules, but cant get the TCM to talk.
He ended up doing a "hard reset of the adaptations". Meaning he disconnected the battery, waited, and then held the positive and negative leads together to drain the system.
Said this does the same basic thing as if he were able to get into the TCM except now the car have to re-learn by driving.
He also said he will provide me with a print out of a TSB regarding the shift point adaptation reset he wanted to do, but was unable as he could not talk to the TCM.

-Trevor

Old 09-25-2018, 10:27 AM

then you have a issue that needs to be resolved because the TCM HAS TO talk to all the other modules. This does nothing for loading the latest software into the car and the TCM offline can be YOUR issue. But I would try another sdd cause sometimes our laptops like any other damn pc has issues too. Sometimes I refer to sdd as systematic dollar deducter from a tech. When you reflash the tcm it clears adaptation as well. So lets look at this in a realistic frame of light. You get on the gas and the tcm needs to be told by the ecm and abs modules what you are doing with the rpm, throttle and speed. unable to talk to the TCM and itll do what it THINKS might be going on based on adaptation and loaded software which it really has no idea of what is going on. You need the TCM to be talking to the car and sdd. NO RED X when sdd is seeing what modules are on the network and whos talking. That red x is a issue. Check power and grounds to the module is the first thing to look at

Old 09-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Talked to the Jag tech after dropping my car off yesterday.
Stated he is unable to get the scanner to communicate to the TCM. Said he can get into other modules, but cant get the TCM to talk.
He ended up doing a "hard reset of the adaptations". Meaning he disconnected the battery, waited, and then held the positive and negative leads together to drain the system.
Said this does the same basic thing as if he were able to get into the TCM except now the car have to re-learn by driving.
He also said he will provide me with a print out of a TSB regarding the shift point adaptation reset he wanted to do, but was unable as he could not talk to the TCM.

-Trevor
Touching pos and neg battery leads does not reset TCM adaptions. Brutal is the expert here, heed his advice.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM

Im aware Brutal is the expert here, which is why I personally asked him to review this thread.
I finally feel that we are on the right path to get this resolved.
I talked to the tech a little more yesterday after picking up my car.
He said he did verify the TCM is getting power and there are no grounding issues.
He also stated that when he connects the scan tool the TCM(and all other modules) does pass the network test and its just an issue of the TCM talking to the scanner.
He also tried multiple laptops/scanners with no luck.
Brutal, can you speak to the "hard reset" not clearing adaptations as abonano mentioned?

Many thanks!
-Trevor

Last edited by Trevor; 09-26-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:19 AM

haha I no expert, I just get paid to fix things and have been doing it for 21 years now. But I have probably forgotten more than I remember.
On the clear adaptations I do not know because I always use the laptop and have never gone in to look at adaptations before and then hard reboot the car and look again to see if it has cleared. And then there that memory thing again because if I have ever done that I don't remember or if ecu and tcm adaptation is in volatile or non volatile memory. volatile memory clears with reboots, non does not. As soon as I say something wrong someone here will pull up one of the pages in a workshop manual and go you are wrong and youre the EXPERT???
Sorry I don't have a memory to memorize all the 10's of 1000's of workshop manual pages across all the systems, models and years. But WHEN needed and PAID to find out for sure I can find it. And with enough time and repetition it can be committed to memory as well as leaving the house with my pants on.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Im aware Brutal is the expert here, which is why I personally asked him to review this thread.
I finally feel that we are on the right path to get this resolved.
I talked to the tech a little more yesterday after picking up my car.
He said he did verify the TCM is getting power and there are no grounding issues.
He also stated that when he connects the scan tool the TCM(and all other modules) does pass the network test and its just an issue of the TCM talking to the scanner.
He also tried multiple laptops/scanners with no luck.
Brutal, can you speak to the "hard reset" not clearing adaptations as abonano mentioned?

Many thanks!
-Trevor
AFAIK it's always been the case that there's a lot of baseline operational code in the TCM and that the so call "learning" is about learning the driver's style and that this part does indeed get reset to base configuration when the power is disconnected. But you cannot expect that a TCM could possibly completely reload all of it's programming in this manner. It has to have SOME base operational capabilities such as communications .... in order to function properly enough to do the basics. I think Brutal's concern is that those maybe corrupted. You see similar issues with people doing upgrades to the sysop on their phones and other devices. I have an eeprom flasher, an actual piece of hardware with an accompanying MS DOS program, for the chips in my mid 90's ecus for my Maserati. But that's a much lower level of technology than these systems. If there isn't a way to reload the ecu more primitively at the dealership then perhaps you'll need a new one. It also wouldn't surprise me if there were folks out there who fix these. I got my speedo gauges board repaired for a little over $100 when the needle clutch pack began slipping. So get googling. My car resets those driver parameters whenever I disconnect my battery. I can feel it.

Bob S.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Not just corruption, the purpose to load new software is the zf company learns and changes software as they find out that they can have better operation and fix issues that arise because out in the real world things change and tweeks to software fixes issues that come up. No different than any other "update" to our phones, pcs and operation system. This is why i always update to latest software in everything. And in the next couple years you will see that jaguar land rover will be able to do these updates through wifi without the car going to a dealership. So just like our phone you can have auto updates or manual. And yes there will always be the "we fixed 3 things, and broke 2 new ones"

Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Not a fan of automatic updates or always updating. Especially when there's no goback capability. This is especially true for cell phones. After 35 years in software & hardware development all I can say is it's a terrible idea when you have no ability to goback.

But that's where we are now with a lot of this crap. My last LG Android phone update now has my phone just killing the battery ...