Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 jaguar s-type 3.0 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 jaguar s-type 3.0 wont start

I have a 2005great jaguar s-type 3.0

Ok well i drive it around town it ran pretty fine to me no problems nothing at all i went to the store got out and locked it like normal i came out of the store unlocked it and went to start it and no sound at all it didnt even start everything worked lights navi radio windows all nine yards worked but would not start period it didnt even make sound when you tried to start it not even a click had to get it towed home could anyone help me please

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Have you tried to supplement the battery yet?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Have you tried to supplement the battery yet?
What do you mean like replace?

And if the battery is bad everything would still work fine?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Niatsahc
What do you mean like replace?

And if the battery is bad everything would still work fine?
With the very limited amount of posted testing, it is very hard to tell from my keyboard. That said, if you do a bit of research on these cars you will see that a weak battery can cause all kinds of strange behavior.

That said, adding another battery can be achieved with jumper cables and see if it starts. I wouldn't jump right away with replacing the battery. But, if using a second battery fixes it, then replacing the battery would be my next move. Knowing full well that it may or may not fix the issue.

After that it becomes a systematic check of all the circuits that are tied to ignition. That is where diligent testing comes in. Ignition circuits, fuel circuits, etc.

To answer your second question... the "everything still works fine" is really just the accessories. Obviously, since it won't start, everything is not fine. Yes, even when the current is too low to start the car, accessories will still work.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,786 Likes on 7,596 Posts

If the battery is the original that came with the car, it's quite likely needing to be replaced anyway. Also, get a hygrometer at most any auto parts store, it can check the status of each battery cell..

Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Ok i tried letting the batery charge still no start i tried jumping it cause dealer said to still no start i guy on my street had a batery tester and he tested it and it had a 12.11 v when the batery says its a 12vv6 so i say its very good still? And how do i check the ignition fuses? And all that good stuff i mean pep boys is the only auto store that puts cars on those things to see codes would it thro a code? Honestly i dont know were anything is on this car my uncle said fuel reset button? Does it have one? Where? Would it cause this? I mean the car drove very good 5still mins before all this

Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM

The batery is a big white/clear batery i dont know if its the org or not

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Could it be because the alarm went off and i dont have the clicker? Sircurty system?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

It should be 12.6 or so.

If it might be security Search and read on PATS

Chances are it's the battery and you could spend forever testing everything else (or at least do a proper test with a hydrometer).

Till then spend TIME and EFFORT on here reading all the threads about cars that won't start and what people had to do.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok i tried letting the batery charge still no start i tried jumping it cause dealer said to still no start i guy on my street had a batery tester and he tested it and it had a 12.11 v when the batery says its a 12vv6 so i say its very good still? And how do i check the ignition fuses? And all that good stuff i mean pep boys is the only auto store that puts cars on those things to see codes would it thro a code? Honestly i dont know were anything is on this car my uncle said fuel reset button? Does it have one? Where? Would it cause this? I mean the car drove very good 5still mins before all this
An automotive battery is six 2.1v Voltaic cells connected in series. There is a standard voltage for these chemical cells, and when that voltage is down even what might appear to be slightly, the cell is partially charged. When it's very down the cell is highly likely to be clapped out. These batteries are designed to be slightly discharged and topped up again constantly throughout their useful lives, delivering occasional large but brief bursts of power for starting - that latter is known as the cold-cranking amps.

Knowing the S-Type as I do, I also consider it rather likely that the OE battery needs replacing after eight years.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Could it be because the alarm went off and i dont have the clicker? Sircurty system?
That could be an issue.. Is it OEM or an aftermarket system?

The batery is a big white/clear batery i dont know if its the org or not
The OEM battery in my 05 was white.... sounds like you have a very old original battery.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM

So I had the battery tested came back good 97% but could it be the fuel pump ? Or wouldn't it still try to start ? But when I try the red light on the dash flashes fast so is it the security system ? I don't have the remote to it so ? What should I do can pep boys put it on the code scanner would it through a code?

Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

So I had the battery tested came back good 97% but could it be the fuel pump ? Or wouldn't it still try to start ? But when I try the red light on the dash flashes fast so is it the security system ? I don't have the remote to it so ? What should I do can pep boys put it on the code scanner would it through a code?
See below in Red as well.

Originally Posted by JagV8
It should be 12.6 or so.

If it might be security Search and read on PATS

Chances are it's the battery and you could spend forever testing everything else (or at least do a proper test with a hydrometer).

Till then spend TIME and EFFORT on here reading all the threads about cars that won't start and what people had to do.
A search here and a download of JTIS will assist you in figuring out what the rapid flashes are.

My gut is telling me it is an issue with the security system. You still haven't answered if it is an OEM system or aftermarket. Please take some time to read up on some of the related threads. Again, all this is speculation. Kind of like doing surgery remotely.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

That flashing light is part of PATS so read up on how to get and interpret its code.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Ok on the alarm system I don't know if its a own or aftermarket system I bought the car used and they lost the remote chance are its not an aftermarket system so I guess it's a own what ever that is so ill look up pats or if someone can tell me how to fix this but I do thank all help