Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-Type 3.0 Brake System Components

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type 3.0 Brake System Components

I read somewhere that the brake components (pads, rotors, calipers) on our 2005 S-Type 3.0 are identical to those on the 2005 Lincoln LS. True or false? And if it's true, does that mean that the Lincoln LS also has the electronic parkbrake system?

I'm researching my choices for front brakes replacement since that service will probably be the first non-warranty maintenance that I'll have to perform on our car. I'm happy with the quietness and stopping ability of our factory front brakes, but these factory pads are by far the dustiest I've ever had on any of our vehicles. If there are pads out there that are not as messy, longer-lasting, and will provide the same or better stopping ability while staying quiet, I'd certainly like to have that information so I can research them. I know that our factory pads are semi-metallic, not ceramic, and I presume that staying with semi-metallic pads will preserve our original rotors quite a bit longer....

Our S-Type currently has about 21,700 miles on the odometer and I'm guessing that I'll have to replace the front brakes well before the car reaches 30,000 miles....

Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

After cross referencing a couple of sites, my answer would be no since they list different part numbers for the LS vs the S-Type. The interesting thing is a performance brake site lists the same rotors for the LS as the 99 - 02 S. Those would be the EBC parts that people here talk about. If you don't want to have the less bite of ceramic, I would get a high performance semi pad. They are only around 60 bucks an axle. I will be posting pictures of the performance pad and rotor replacement next week when I install them on the front and rear. According to a couple of people I've talked with, a good performance semi pad will not produce as much dust as the factory pad.

Oh, BTW as of 03 the LS got the parking brake as well.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Guys,

Since I am also an owner of a 2005 S-Type 3.0 I am somewhat interested in this discussion. I am hoping that the JTIS procedures concerning brake replacement is applicable to the 2005 S-Types since it appears as though it is something I could do. From my perspective, the parts are fairly reasonable, but the labor costs are fairly pricey.

Mike

Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

I would expect different part numbers for Jaguar's brake system components vs. Lincoln's brake system components. But they may indeed be identical parts that can be swapped back and forth between the S-Type and the LS with no problem, and I guarantee you that Lincoln parts will be less expensive than Jaguar parts 90% of the time....

I run into this all the time when trying to buy various parts for our 2004 Lexus RX330 at the local Toyota dealership. Lexus and Toyota have completely different part numbering systems for many of the same parts, and Toyota is usually about half to two-thirds the price of Lexus. But Lexus parts guys and Toyota parts guys don't work with each other so the consumer has to figure out a way to determine if the parts that he needs for his particular application are indeed interchangeable....

JOsworth, please keep us posted on your upcoming brake job. How many miles on your S-Type, and how worn are your factory pads (assuming they are indeed the original pads)?

Last edited by Jon89; 02-23-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

I would bet that the two are not compatable since I cross referenced aftermarket parts not dealer parts. Aftermarket parts suppliers don't assign different part numbers for different makes. The only cross was the 99 - 02 S must have the same rotor size as the LS since those parts from EBC were the same. There are probably different calipers though since the pads are different part numbers.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i Think you can use the LS rotors on a S-type i went to http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...tnumber=145270

they say the front are the same. You many have to look into it a bit more.

http://www.r1concepts.com/

What type or rotors are you looking for Performance Rotors? I got may brakes from them go for the Premium Series Double Drilled Slotted and Posi Quiet Ceramic. Dont get the Axxis Ultimate the are realy noisey but they stop realy good. i had them but i went to the Posi Quiet Ceramic, but they are realy good to but dose not have the same power stoping as the Axxis. You can get the fron and rear rotors and pads for like $400

Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Veteran member

They may have an issue with their cross reference since they also list that as the part number for an 05 STR. Reading Jaguar's spec sheet for the 05 S, the 3.0 and 4.2 cars have 300mm x 30mm front rotors and 288mm x 20mm rears. The STR has 365mm x 32mm fronts and 300mm x 15mm rears. There is also a 320mm fitment, but it is not listed on the 05 spec sheet. Now, Brakewarehouse lists the same std rotor for the front of the LS V6 and S-Type V6 , but the pads are totally different part numbers.

Last edited by JOsworth; 02-24-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for everyones' efforts in trying to nail down what pads may be compatible with a 2005 S-Type 3.0.

I don't need high-speed pads. I don't need high-cost pads. Our S-Type is primarily my wife's highway cruiser, not a race car. I'm looking for quiet, non-messy semi-metallic pads that will give me similar stopping power as the factory pads and will hopefully last longer as well. I'm really tired of having to wash our S-Type's rims every weekend when the rest of the car is still clean.

Jeff may indeed have the best replacement brakes solution. Please keep us posted on what components you decide to go with, how much they cost, where you bought them, and how they perform for you from a stopping, noise-free, and dust-reduced standpoint.

As a side note, my wife drove from Raleigh to Tampa yesterday to visit her parents. She said that she kept it between 68 and 72 mph depending upon traffic flow on I-95 and I-75. She left with a full tank and only needed one fill-up during the trip. I did the math and she appears to have averaged nearly 33 mpg. Absolutely incredible. This is one fantastic plus of the S-Type 3.0 that I never counted on back when I did my research before we bought it in December. Thumbs up to Jaguar - this car is just what the doctor ordered in our household....

Old 02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recently did the brake pads on my '05 3.0

Jon89,

I recently did the brake pads on my '05 3.0. I initially ran into the same issues as I think you're seeing, some websites list parts for '05s, others don't, etc. There must have been some change during the '05 model year (which must have lasted for a long time because my car has a build date of 1/04 and it's an '05) so I ended up rolling the dice and ordering parts for an '04 S-Type 3.0 and they fit.

I bought the car in August of last year and the rotors were just replaced by the dealer so I didn't have to mess with that. The front calipers are definitely the same as the Lincoln, the rears sure look the same but I can't say for 100%. I'm pretty sure the LS does not have the electric parking brake (I owned an '01 Lincoln LS before this car and it didn't but I can't say for sure on the later ones). I don't know if that would make any difference because the electric/electronics aren't part of the caliper anyway.

All that said, why don't you just pick out some low dust pads and have the original rotors turned? If your car only has 20-something thousand miles on it, the rotors can probably be cut twice before having to buy new ones.

Later,
Walt

p.s. as a side note, I went through all of this because I couldn't handle the dusting of the stock pads. I went with the Akebono ceramics, no more dust AT ALL!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Wally509,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I plan to keep my front rotors and just have them turned. If the rotors are still in spec, it would be wasteful to replace them. And yes, I'm going to go with a low-dust aftermarket pad. These Jaguar front pads make a huge mess and are way overpriced at the dealership, nearly $180.

So you went with ceramic pads rather than semi-metallic? I've always heard that if you go to ceramic pads without changing to rotors that are designed for ceramic, you'll tear through your rotors quickly and be stuck with annoying brake noise until you install ceramic-compatible rotors. Maybe that was true five years ago but technology has improved to the point where that is not an issue today.

Glad to hear that your dust problem is gone. What about brake noise? And is your stopping power the same or better than your factory pads were? I assume you did both axles. My factory rear brake pads create very little dust and hardly look worn, so I'm only concerned with my front brakes initially....

By the way, how many miles on your S-Type?

Last edited by Jon89; 03-01-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has 45,000 miles on it. Yes, I did all four. I went with ceramics because of the virtually zero dust feature of them. I have to be honest, this car is pretty much a garage queen during the winter up here in Wisconsin so I have only driven it a few hundred miles since doing the swap. For right now, the braking seems to be the same with the exception of the initial bite isn't as good as the old pads. I'm hoping that will improve with some more driving as the pads get bedded into the rotors. I have used these pads (Akebono Pro-Act) as well as other ceramics (AC Delco and Monroe plus my '05 Ford Taurus has them from the factory) and never had any noise from any of them. I don't even use that "anti-squeal" goop on the backing plates of the pads.

I've never heard of there being different rotors for ceramic pads. I have however, worn out rotors in short order by using the wrong pads on my roadrace car. Most of the time, this happens because people buy too high-performace of a pad (read: too high an operating temperature) and the pads never get up to temp. I think if you stick with any street rated pad you should be okay as far as the rotors go.