S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S Type 4.2 Coolant Leak

Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S Type 4.2 Coolant Leak

Hello all. Let me say thank you in advance for everyones help. I'll get right to it.

My LOW COOLANT light came on a couple days ago. I promptly checked the reservoir, and the level was just below the minimum line. I filled it to the appropriately level (with the appropriate coolant). Everything was fine for a couple days and then my engine was giving off a little smoke. I immediately pulled over and then the LOW COOLANT light came on again.

After letting it cool down, I checked the reservoir and it was lower than before. ALSO, when I unscrewed the cap, more coolant seem to come out at that time. I tried to put more in just to see what would happen and it channeled right through onto the ground as if nothing was holding it anymore.

I had it towed back to my place and investigated today. I've been reading some other threads, but nothing seems to match. I have attached some pictures to hopefully give a better visual of the problem. I did notice that a clamp is loose on one of the hoses (picture attached) and I will replace that, but it's more than that I think because the coolant still just flows right on through. I took a picture of where the coolant is coming from. Now keep in mind, the liquid is falling from above somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Well, and it's saying wrong file or format for pics... tried .jpg and .gif and .png... uhhh.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

There are quite a few places it can go so you need to check hoses etc, including from underneath the car.

If not leaking out of a hose, a head gasket failure or the like is a possibility (but on these cars unlikely).

Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

First thing, get a new coolant reservoir cap, it controls the pressure for the whole coolant system. Maybe too much pressure. The usual things that go out are the plastic bits in the coolant system. A good way to test for leaks is to wrap the suspected part with a paper towel and see what happens. When the leak gets worse you'll see the problem, I did on mine. Don't drive any car when it gets hot. With an aluminum block and aluminum head, the head gasket should be fine.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:46 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I would suspect the actual reservoir if its the plastic one, they are known to crack in the Mondeo and I believe they are of a similar design?

Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmobile
The usual things that go out are the plastic bits in the coolant system.
+1 on that.

In the immortal words of Douglass Adams:

"Don't panic"

Coolant running out onto the ground sounds horrible, but it should make for a relatively easy fix once you find it. The tough ones are coolant loss with no visible trace.

Pics would sure help, once you get the format sorted out. Sounds like you've got the leak location partially isolated. Keep us posted.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Leak is coming down from above.

Another shot of leak.

Reservoir with small amount on the side compartment.

Broken clamp in the center and hose was not all the way tight.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Default 2005 S Type 4.2 Coolant Leak

Originally Posted by dlueneburg
Hello all. Let me say thank you in advance for everyones help. I'll get right to it.

My LOW COOLANT light came on a couple days ago. I promptly checked the reservoir, and the level was just below the minimum line. I filled it to the appropriately level (with the appropriate coolant). Everything was fine for a couple days and then my engine was giving off a little smoke. I immediately pulled over and then the LOW COOLANT light came on again.

After letting it cool down, I checked the reservoir and it was lower than before. ALSO, when I unscrewed the cap, more coolant seem to come out at that time. I tried to put more in just to see what would happen and it channeled right through onto the ground as if nothing was holding it anymore.

I had it towed back to my place and investigated today. I've been reading some other threads, but nothing seems to match. I have attached some pictures to hopefully give a better visual of the problem. I did notice that a clamp is loose on one of the hoses (picture attached) and I will replace that, but it's more than that I think because the coolant still just flows right on through. I took a picture of where the coolant is coming from. Now keep in mind, the liquid is falling from above somewhere.

Any thoughts?
Hi! My 05 S Type is having the exact same coolant leak you described in your post. Leaking in same spot as is shown in the pictures you attached to your post.
What component did you replace to correct the coolant leak?

Thanks,
Tommy P.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Hey Tommy. The thermostat was replaced and sealant was put around the water pump. It's time consuming to pull everything apart to get to it all, but actually not that hard of a job... watched most of the repair. One of those take photos as you go jobs. That's also considering that the pump is not fully shot. My mechanic said he thought sealant will hold, and it has done just fine all this time. Once every couple of weeks, I check the coolant and top it off as it leaks just a little. Hope this helps man.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Default 05 S Type 4.2 Coolant Leak

Hey Tommy. The thermostat was replaced and sealant was put around the water pump. It's time consuming to pull everything apart to get to it all, but actually not that hard of a job... watched most of the repair. One of those take photos as you go jobs. That's also considering that the pump is not fully shot. My mechanic said he thought sealant will hold, and it has done just fine all this time. Once every couple of weeks, I check the coolant and top it off as it leaks just a little. Hope this helps man.
Thank you! Very much appreciated! I’ll take pictures and post to forum when I do the repair.
Again, many thanks! Tommy P.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 364 Posts

If this san STR id say its the coolant hose at the back of the engine that runs under the blower. Mine leaked coolant there and ran off the bell housing

Old 07-13-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

The system shouldn't leak. If you are still putting coolant in, it ain't fixed. There is residue from the leak somewhere. It takes very bright lights to see the sheen and if you start feeling all the hoses with your hand, you'll find the area cold and then you can start the car and see it drip while warm. You need to find the real leak. Just screwing with parts wastes your money.