S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5R55N-part in pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5R55N-part in pan

Hey everyone, can you guess what this is?

I have a 2001 S Type, 3.0L, 6 cylinder. Reverse has not worked since I've owned the vehicle. Transmission always had intermittent hard shifts but no slipping or other obvious symptoms until just recently.

Now I get "Gearbox fault" when shifting to 4th, then it shifts down to 3rd. It will not shift above 3rd after that. Shifts reasonably well from 1st thru 3rd. This is with selector in "D" from stop. No manual shifting. This is happening every time I drive it now.

I have had two DTCs at different times. P0745 Pressure Control Solenoid A and P0795 Pressure Control Solenoid C.

So, being unrealistically optimistic, I drained and refilled with MerconV (about 6.5-7 quarts). Put in new filter. Found torn up part in bottom of pan. The copper piece in pic is about .010-.015" thick, maybe .75 OD. No idea what it is. Yet.

Went to test drive. At first OK. Smooth shifts with slight overrev in 3rd. Few minutes later, would not shift above 3rd and "Gearbox fault" appeared again along with "P0795 Pressure Control Solenoid C". Shut off car, disconnected battery, held key to start position for 60 seconds. Reconnected battery.

Drove again, 7-8 miles, no gearbox fault. Seemed to stay in 4th for part of the drive. Just before getting home after sitting at light for a minute, it shifted fine, hitting 5th gear.

Drove to work next day. Behaving just as before. Consistently bad. "Gearbox fault" when shifting to 4th, then immediately shifts back down to 3rd. Shifts reasonably well from 1st thru 3rd.

So, basically I have a 3-speed transmission, top speed 55 mph (~3700 rpm), and no reverse. I don't know if I feel comfortable tackling transmission work. It seems that maybe rebuilding the valve body and doing the o-ring on both servo pins is what it needs at the very least, but obviously there are other problems (copper piece.) Or, would I be better off finding a replacement? The idea of spending $3000+ on this is difficult to swallow.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails 5R55N-part in pan-20161022_122643.jpg   5R55N-part in pan-20161022_122630.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 04:30 AM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

This sounds like a mess. Would a used transmission from a donor car be an option?

Old 10-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by davidladewig
This sounds like a mess. Would a used transmission from a donor car be an option?
Big +1 on a donor but it comes with risks.

I spent about $2,800 to have my trans rebuilt w/ warranty. So far 60K miles on her and all is good.

I get the filter/fluid changed every 20K miles. I think my trans shop uses Mercon SP fluid.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 PM

Davidladewig that seems to be the only financially feasible option at this point. That's great that a rebuilt has lasted that many miles abonano. I'm starting to look at local salvage yards for wrecked vehicles hoping one still has the gearbox. Here's the list I've came up with.

5r55n used in:

2002 Thunderbird
00 - 02 S-Type 3.0, 4.0
01 - 02 XK8
01 - 02 XKR
00 - 02 Lincoln LS 3.0, 3.9

This was taken by searching for "5r55n " in Alto Products Corp.'s catalog. Are there any slight variations among the 5r55ns listed above, or are all 5r55ns the same?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

It's a pretty common transmission and you should be able to get a rebuilt unit with warranty for under $2000. But a used one might work.

I am always worried about what you are getting with a used unit.
I would stop putting any money into yours. With that chunk of metal in the pan and your symptoms it's time for a replacement or rebuild!

Are you aware of case bore wear with that transmission?
I think your chunk of metal is a thrust washer that has worn in two. Usually an indication of high miles on the unit.
How many miles on yours?

The following users liked this post:
Sprayall (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 08:19 PM

184k miles. I am aware of bore wear. I have done servo bore repairs on these before (drill, ream, bush, ream, drill oil cross holes). But, this always requires the case to be taken apart. I briefly looked into the technique used by some of putting an o-ring groove on the servo pin. They claim it works great. I was thinking maybe of having the valve body and solenoids refurbished/reman'd. $275 at Valve Body Pros in San Jose, CA. Seems like a deal right? Please let me know what you think. Maybe, between that and the servo pin fix, it will be good? Regarding swapping the entire unit, I am finding prices like $2600 for a rebuilt with exchange and a warranty ($3600 installed). Seems pricey but may just have to bite the bullet.

Later, if I go the reman plan, are the alignment pins shown in JTIS really needed for proper installation of valve body? Also, the guys at VBP said they rebuild all solenoids attached to valve body. Can the VB be removed without detaching solenoid pack and reverse solenoid?

Thanks in advance for ANY input!!
Jim

Old 11-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

I think it could work fine. If they know what they are doing and it sounds like they do. Still a multi hundred dollar repair and the rest of the unit is original. What else might be worn out?

I am a cheapskate and a DIY shade tree mechanic BUT at 184K miles I think that transmission has done it's job and I would NOT rebuild that one and get a re-manufactured one with a warranty. Keep calling around but Abonano knows far more about this than I do.

With the low value of our S Types are you sure you want to put any more money into it? I am fighting this with my 2005 STR that I had a small wreck in. I am doing the repairs but the costs add up!

Sorry I did not answer your question but the solenoid pack bolts on the top of the valve body so yes they can be removed by themselves.

Here is a thread with a picture and some more troubleshooting discussions. Might help?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...e-88444/page2/

I really like Sonnax and they have many updates and upgrades for this transmission. Take a look for more background.

Figuring Out the 5R55 Alphabet - Sonnax

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-13-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunate - not sure what the cost-effective solution is probably not sink any more money into it. In NJ there are quite a few S-types on CL going for dirt cheap with less miles than OP's (there is one STR for sub-$2000 needs a fuel pump, a 2005 STR for $2750). Really not worth fixing unless you want to buy a spare car for parts and swap out the transmission yourself. Oh yeah - and they all look amazing - guess few people want to own the headache of fixing up an older Jaguar.