S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 90K too many miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is 90K too many miles

Hi Everyone, first post. I am really sold on getting a 2003 - 2005 Stype. Prefer and R, but I found a 2003 4.2 with 90k miles (VERY CLEAN) for $9900. I know some products such as toyota, etc. 90k miles would not scare me. My question is this. IS the 2003 stype 4.2 drivetrain very durable and life expectancy way above this? What should I look out for with this many miles. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Spend some time studying the S-Type forum here and you'll see that many members will recommend that you stick with model years 2005 and up to benefit from the various improvements over the last three years of this car's production (transmission, suspension, various mundane components like window regulators, etc.). I reached that same conclusion after some significant research before I purchased ours last December. And yes, 90,000 miles is far too many in my book. I would look for 40,000 miles or less if you can. I found ours with just 18,000 miles on the odometer and used my remaining factory warranty period to get it as perfect as a 2005 model could be. Then it got plowed by an inattentive driver so we'll see how it looks and feels when I get the car back from repairs, possibly late today or on Monday....

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Clifsmith. Whilst it is true that the latter models have had improvements over the former ones, what really matters, with any car, is condition. If it is in good condition and has a good service history, so the past owner/s have looked after it, then you should seriously consider it. On Autotrader in the UK, there are S-Types up for sale for good prices that have 100,000 plus miles on them.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

The 4.2L engine can last alot longer, the bigger question is whether you want to take a chance on the transmission going the same distance. Lots of discussions about that in the s-type, xj, and the xk areas.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM

I keep hearing how well the build quality and stuff is and then I read these posts about all the issues that people have had with their cars under 100k that would most likely never happen on a honda or toyota. Before you tell me to go buy a honda or toyota, please know that I am really interested in the Jag. I have always wanted one and you just don't see that many, especially the R which is really what I want. they have a certain prestige and beauty not found in most vehicles. I have a toyota matrix right now 75k that has not had one single issue since I drove off the lot new. I had a infiniti i30 and put 230k miles on it with only one issue, and it never broke down. It almost sounds like the owning a Jag is a wonderful experience if you can put up with the issues. In reading some more posts, it sounds like I should pay a few thousand extra and focus on a 2005 model. I would extend the warranty to 100k. But what happens after 100k. I guess I am confused in reading the edmunds.com reviews (wonderful reviews for s-type), reading raves about quality, and reading some of the contradicting posts here on ridiculous jag issues that should never happen on a car under 100k.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

There is no question that Jaguar quality has improved dramatically over the past five years or so, but the brand still suffers from the perception that "if you want to drive a Jaguar, you'd better hire a tow truck to follow you around". Until I did some significant research on the S-Type because I knew I could practically steal one at the dealership last December when the automotive economy was absolutely horrible because NOBODY was buying cars, I would not have even considered buying one because of the perception of unreliability.

The truth is that if you understand up front that your maintenance costs are going to be higher than any Honda or Toyota and you can perform the routine maintenance yourself, then you can justify taking a chance on an S-Type. But you need to understand that the electronic modules in these cars are very sophisticated and can be quirky as hell. And if you decide that only an STR will do for you, then you must be willing to accept the fact that your operating costs, maintenance costs, and insurance costs will be significantly higher still. These S-Types aren't Hondas and Toyotas so don't expect to operate them for mere pennies a day, especially if you can't do your own routine maintenance.

Indeed, the S-Type is drop-dead gorgeous, fast, smooth, drives like a dream, and can be bought for far less than anything else in its class due to Jaguar's steep depreciation. But there is a price to pay for that, and it will show up over long-term maintenance costs. Parts can be expensive, dealership labor costs are very high, and there are not many generic alternatives for some parts.

That said, we've thoroughly enjoyed my wife's 2005 S-Type 3.0 V6. She loves to drive it, I enjoy learning about it and keeping it in pristine condition myself, and I bought it for what I call "Honda money" knowing full well that it will cost me more to maintain compared to my 1999 Dodge Ram pickup or my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD. But I knew all of that going in, and I figured it was worth the gamble with only 18,000 miles on the odometer and all service records in my hand. So far, it's been a great car. Not perfect, though, and not cheap to maintain. There's no way I would ever buy an STR because of the added complexity and expense to maintain and insure.

So do some more research, go drive some S-Types, and take your time to find the right car. It may not be an STR, but it could be a 4.2 V8. Still a big step up from a Toyota Matrix. I'll say it again - being able to do your own routine maintenance is the key....

Last edited by Jon89; 08-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ginger_Chouchou (12-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The R is a highly complex car, stuffed full of electronics and interesting mechanical items (when was your last car with adjustable camber, caster etc and active suspension?). It will need TLC that isn't just polishing!

If you want a reliable Jag, get a lowish mileage 2005 or later, with factory warranty, and avoid the R.

Yes, there are reliable STRs but so few were made that no-one truly knows the overall reliability and you don't sound like someone who should take a chance.

Better still, maybe don't buy any car using the ZF 6-speed autobox.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 PM

As far as maintenance, I can do all that myself as I am very mechanical and have many tools. Only specialty maintenance such as alignments, etc., I wouldnt be able to do. I would also be able to do a lot of repair myself, if out of warranty. I have rebuilt engines before. It sounds like for me the 3.0 would be the safer bet, but I am an adrenaline junky and the R sounds sooooo much better for my taste. Also, they are so rare that owning one would be special. Plus they are usually loaded out. I have seen some really attractive prices for the R. I found a 2005 with 65k on it for $16,900. "prequalified for 100k warranty". However, it is BLACK, not a good color for dusty texas. But it sure looks nice clean! Thank you for your great feedback, wow this is really a good forum. I have posted stuff before on other forums and people just ignore you. I would like to hear further comments.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I spent weeks researching which car to buy and decided an STR or maybe an Audi RS6. I preferred - and got - the STR, about 5 months ago.

I was not looking at Honda, Toyota etc. Good cars but not what I wanted.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I would get the 4.2 over the 3.0. The STR is tempting, and I would think about it if it was a part-time vehicle. There are just to many added big $$ things on a STR for me to hammer on the daily commute. That said, my only regret after getting mine is I didn't hold out for a select edition 4.2 instead of the 3.0 that I got. That said, it has been a great car for the 15k that I've put on her in almost a year. That is daily commuting, hauling the kids around on weekends, even folding down the seats and stuffing in lumber from Home Depot when the mini van wasn't around. At 50k there aren't any squeeks or rattles. The same could not be said of the two Honda's I had before. They were great cars, but in some ways my S Type is put together better. As far as the difference in years, the '05 update that is mentioned was a cosmetic update. The major mechanical update occured in '03. That refresh also included the interior. The '05 freshening consisted of new front facia, new hood, new grill, new lower rockers, new quarters, new rear bumper, new tail lights, and a new decklid. It was subtle but all those parts are new. In '03 it got refreshed engines with higher output, new interior (dash, console mainly), new ZF 6 speed transmisions, new front and rear suspension and subframe, additional work was done to the electronics and the unibody and all of those improvements enhanced the vehicle tremendously..... OK, a little long winded, so I'll go now.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

it was an STR or nothing for me

Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Better still, maybe don't buy any car using the ZF 6-speed autobox.
That knocks out about 98 percent of Jaguar S-types on the road. The 6 speed is a gamble, but I have heard its better than the 5 speed in the 2000-2002 models.

The 6 speed gearbox transfers the limited power of the 3.0L s-type to the wheels perfectly. It is no slouch.

I just hope that I can find some reasonably priced transmission fluid at some point before I decide to change it at 65,000 miles.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy your Jag! Get one you think looks spectacular and feels special to you. A friend of mine wanted a Jag, but practicality and the wife meant he got a Vauxhall Vectra (mid sized saloon and dull) instead. Then he was found to have cancer and died suddenly so he didnt get his Jag. That is a major reason why I got mine.

If you do your own mechanics, then youll be able to spot a well looked after car. I cant so I have developed a very good relationship with a small garage who have half the main dealer rates and a love of cars. They do classic car repairs and have a side line in older Porsches. They use Jag and or other parts as appropriate.

As for a warranty and running costs, I put £100 a month into an account which is to cover any problems. Unlike any warranty my account pays out no question, instantly, every time!

The Jag is the 4th large, older car that I have owned. Using a good garage and covering any problems before they happen means I have had no real issues.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I researched long and hard and then purchased my 2005 STR. Very reliable and it's my daily driver. Over 10K miles of daily driving since I got it. Had about 9 months factory warranty left. My issues were almost all cosmetic or software related?

These cars are in a very sweet spot as far as value goes. The market has not realized Jaguar quality. In 2005 Jaguar was in the top 3 brands for initial quality. I was not a Jaguar guy and always look for certain cars instead of brands. So what you really need to ask yourself is this: Do I want to drive an appliance or not? The Jap crap is plenty good and will work just fine. But I really like to drive and the suspension on the STR along with the power and looks is a pretty good combination! Throw in the hugely depressed pricing and I call it a heck of a deal!!

Problems: Supercharger belt and pulleys were replaced. There is a TSB for this. The dealer truly bent over backwards and fixed little stuff that bugs me. Like the "R" badges on the side of the car started to peel just slightly. Brought to the dealers attention and both were replaced. Had a small wrinkle in the headliner and just wanted to see if they could straighten it out a bit. They installed a completely new headliner!! Under hood pad was shrinking around the edges a bit. Again no question they just replaced the entire thing. I am extremely picky about the condition of my cars and really did not expect them to fix cosmetic stuff. Great dealer here in Houston, Momentum Jaguar. Can't say enough about their good service. Even a follow up verbally and by mail after each visit!!

Only thing I was a bit disappointed about was I had a small amount of shudder when braking but they said that was just normal wear. Well the STR IS expensive for all the parts and with the Brembo brakes it's very high. Front brake rotors are about $500/pair at the cheapest. But I just turned the rotors for $24 and all is well. I have to agree with the earlier post about doing your own work. It will save you a ton of money!! Get the repair disc from Ebay for less than $10. I would get one even if you don't do your own work. Second, these forums are a great way to see the bad side of the car. Yes check out the Honda and Toyota boards. All cars have problems BUT all cars have improved so much that we are getting spoiled and any little problem is blown out of proportion.

I also got a loaner car with out asking. Plus the STR was always cleaned inside and out before it was returned to me. Running with the A/C on high. Great dealer service!!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

My opinion is go for the STR. Like many of you, I researched for months to figure out what was the best way to go, and I ended up on the STR. Personally, 90K miles wouldn't even phase me as all cars my family has had have gone well into 300K miles. I got my 03 STR with 98K Km's (about 60K miles) just about a year ago and I now have 140K Km's (about 87K miles). I haven't had any problems. I just got back yesterday from driving out to Calgary (2800km round trip) and the car was flawless. I also drive the car all year round. Put the winter tires on in the fall and she goes through the toughest winters you will ever see. Starts every morning and handles the cold (-40F) without hesitation, just have to keep a light right foot!The only issues I have had are the parking brake motor and the dual flow coolent valve, both of which I replaced myself. Basically, take care of the car, and learn how to do the repairs yourself. You would be surprised what you are capable of when you try. Never thought I could fix the things I did, but the repair costs from the dealer will make you learn!

Old 06-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 Jaguar XK8 with 181,000 miles on it.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I found a very nice 2002 S 4.0 with 77 000 Mi. for 6500.00. I looked at BMW,Infinity,Honda Toy, Lincoln and caddy. you can't touch one of those under 140000 miles for the same money. And I am loving driving it.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:23 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I found a very nice 2002 S 4.0 with 77 000 Mi. for 6500.00

How long have you had it? Have the cam-chain tensioners been replaced? If not

DO IT

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
'08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 hp / 259.67 torque)

Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pab, I am researching tensioners now and would love to discuss them for a few questions. Can you go to my string "po303 lean condition and missfire" dated June 4 ?
Thanks,Gil

Old 06-11-2015, 04:51 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Better to search the forum for "real" answers.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
'08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 hp / 259.67 torque)

Quick Reply: Is 90K too many miles