S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another hot air/cold air thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Another hot air/cold air thread.

First off, my apologies. I've used the search feature when checking out issues on my car, but it seems that the heating/AC/DCCV issues are so numerous that when I do a search I get an overwhelming number of hits and it would take forever to sort through them all.

My 05 S-Type 3.0 with about 75,000 miles on the clock is blowing hot air through the drivers side vents and cold air on the passenger side when trying to use the AC. I have determined that it is not the DCCV (I actually replaced the DCCV and still have the same symptoms).

I believe this leaves me with either a bad temp sensor or doing a CCM repair. It seems that it would be easier to check the sensors and if they're not the problem I can then assume that it is the CCM. If I understand correctly there are 2 sensors on the drivers side and I can check their resistance to see if one (or both) might be bad. Is it correct that one sensor is below the dash, near the transmission tunnel and the other is in the dash near the key insert?

I have found the thread with instructions on repairing the CCM and that seems like a straight forward fix if that is indeed the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and or suggestions.

Edit: If anybody had some suggestions how I can narrow down the search parameters for better results I would appreciate those too.

Last edited by Skidz; 07-23-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are three evaporator sensors (2 on DS, 1 on PS) that go into the airbox and the in-cabin temperature sensor is in the dash near the key. The evap sensors are the ones that you can compare resistance readings.

I would follow the procedure on DIY: Diagnose It Yourself - JaguarClimateControl.com

The following users liked this post:
Skidz (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

As posted the instructions for testing the sensors is there. The CCM is easy as well and since it pulls out easy from the center stack, I would inspect that first.

Skidz (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Ok. Thanks. I'll inspect the CCM 1st and go from there.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by Skidz; 07-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM

I repaired my CCM today and it was surprisingly easy. A huge thanks to justinb67 for his write-up of the repair. It helped tremendously. His thread is here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-2003-a-36719/

I followed his instructions for removal of the CCM, but took a slight different route to make the repair.

Here's the dash in disassembly to get to the CCM. It's in the white plastic box with the "B" on it.

Name:  100_0110.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  51.1 KB

Here is a pic of the CCM. The burnt trace is pretty obvious.

Name:  100_0113.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  64.6 KB

Since the trace had holes on either end I made my repair on the underside of the module. I took a short length of 20 gauge solid core wire. I had to ground both ends a little because it was slightly too large to fit into the holes. With just a tiny amount of slight grounding I was able to insert the wire into the holes. You don't want to grind too much. I was able to get a nice, snug fit. Just a little solder on each end of the wire to keep them secure. Then I was able to reinstall the CCM and it's working perfectly.

Here's a slight fuzzy pic of the repair. Note, this is th underside of the CCM.

Name:  100_0114.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  24.1 KB

JOsworth (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Nice work Skidz!

Hmm..seems a great many of the 03 and up cars that have a DCCV failure also get the CCM failure as well....

It should probably be noted in the FAQ's if not already.. From now on when I see one of the monthly "my A/C blows hot" posts I'm now going to answer... "Replace the DCCV and inspect the CCM for burnt traces"....

Glad your issue is sorted out.... I know they say the sensors are easy to get to, but I recall a few users having a real time of it.. Be happy it was an easy fix!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Nice work Skidz!

Hmm..seems a great many of the 03 and up cars that have a DCCV failure also get the CCM failure as well....

It should probably be noted in the FAQ's if not already.. From now on when I see one of the monthly "my A/C blows hot" posts I'm now going to answer... "Replace the DCCV and inspect the CCM for burnt traces"....

Glad your issue is sorted out.... I know they say the sensors are easy to get to, but I recall a few users having a real time of it.. Be happy it was an easy fix!
Thanks JOSworth.

I tried rooting around for the sensors, but you'd need to be a contortionist to somehow get into there to see them. Or perhaps I'm too damn old and inflexible these days. Access to a lift would help tremendously.

Last edited by Skidz; 07-25-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I found a quick fix for this issue. After replacing the DCCV(which was a pain and took about 2hrs with my wife's help), my a/c still was blowing hot/cold. After reading a ton of threads I felt that it was the CCM(Climate Control Module). I removed the module and opened it up(all took about 20mins). I found the burnt trace. I don't know anything about soldering and couldn't find a electronic shop to fix this for me. After looking on youtube I found a video showing a pen that will repair a broken/burnt trace. I purchased it from Radio Shake for $20, its called a Conductive Writer. I followed the directions let it dry for about 45min and prayed it would fix the CCM. I put the CCM back together and hooked it up in the car, powered it up and.... Arctic Air in all vents once again!! I then reassembled everything(car still running), I had to turn the air down before I re-installed the center console liner. I am one happy Jag owner again, come on hot Alabama summer days, we can do battle again.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Good outcome! And you'd have had to do the DCCV sooner or later - indeed, usually it's what causes those burnt traces.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Just remember that there are two different climate control modules. Cars without navigation have a CCM which is very commonly damaged by the DCCV going out.

Cars with navigation have a different setup using a RCCM. This remote climate control module is behind the glove box and according to Brutal (Our factory tech expert) is not damaged as easy. In fact he has not seen a bad RCCM yet.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

The odd thing is that they appear to be software and electrically the same. Must be different cooling or something for the output (driver) transistors. Or they detect over-current and foldback. Or something.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Yes. I would like to know why too??

Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

If I had a scrap one of each I'd have had them apart by now LOL

Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I was wondering the same thing.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JagV8
If I had a scrap one of each I'd have had them apart by now LOL
Someone please send him one! It would be really interesting to learn why this keeps happening...

Does the XJ suffer from the same problem (talking non-nav car)??

Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Nav unit or the RCCM?

So I read all ur threads just want to clarify, should I replace the Nav or the RCCM? which ever controls the valve opening? We already put in a new heater valve, radiator, compressor, hoses and stopped coolant leak. Still blowing Hot+Cold air the same time, not artic cold. please advice!

03 jag S type R 4.2 charged

Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rentzoo
So I read all ur threads just want to clarify, should I replace the Nav or the RCCM? which ever controls the valve opening? We already put in a new heater valve, radiator, compressor, hoses and stopped coolant leak. Still blowing Hot+Cold air the same time, not artic cold. please advice!

03 jag S type R 4.2 charged
If your cat has the NAV I believe your CCM is behind your glove box. I pulled mine over the weekend and sent it away for repair ...

Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Skidz
I repaired my CCM today and it was surprisingly easy. A huge thanks to justinb67 for his write-up of the repair. It helped tremendously. His thread is here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-2003-a-36719/

I followed his instructions for removal of the CCM, but took a slight different route to make the repair.

Here's the dash in disassembly to get to the CCM. It's in the white plastic box with the "B" on it.

Here is a pic of the CCM. The burnt trace is pretty obvious.

Since the trace had holes on either end I made my repair on the underside of the module. I took a short length of 20 gauge solid core wire. I had to ground both ends a little because it was slightly too large to fit into the holes. With just a tiny amount of slight grounding I was able to insert the wire into the holes. You don't want to grind too much. I was able to get a nice, snug fit. Just a little solder on each end of the wire to keep them secure. Then I was able to reinstall the CCM and it's working perfectly.

Here's a slight fuzzy pic of the repair. Note, this is th underside of the CCM.

The reason I opted NOT to create a jumper like this is to to future failures. With this gauge jumper when the DCCV fails again this jumper will allow enough AMPs upstream to demolish the board completely... Thats not a huge issue if you don't have a NAV unit.. However if you do have a NAV unit, I've noticed that the CCM's are becoming harder and harder to find ..

Old 08-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes got the big Navigation screen, nav disk in the is in the trunk unless that's what youre referring to. So if it's got a Nav it also have a RCCM behind the glove box and I should send that to repair instead of replacing the Nav right? Where did you send yours to? - JaguarClimateControl.com ?? and how much did they charge, fixed it yet?

Old 08-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by rentzoo
yes got the big Navigation screen, nav disk in the is in the trunk unless that's what youre referring to. So if it's got a Nav it also have a RCCM behind the glove box and I should send that to repair instead of replacing the Nav right? Where did you send yours to? - JaguarClimateControl.com ?? and how much did they charge, fixed it yet?
99 dollar repare on ebay. ill tell you more when it comes back early next week. yes your CCM is behind your glove box. Remove the 4 screws that hold the glove box in place and then the 1 screw that holds the CCM in place... you have the same setup as me .

The following 2 users liked this post by dlowings:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-18-2016), rentzoo (08-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Another hot air/cold air thread.