Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ate brake differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ate brake differences

Hi all.

I am new to this forum but not to S Types.

I had a lovely 2001 3.0 Se for about three years which I sold and bought an XF 3.0. As lovely as this car was I just didn’t feel it was a “proper” Jaguar (sorry....) so in less than a year I sold it and bought another S Type!
Thi some is a late low mileage 3.0 Se and Infeel much happier with this car, so much more character!

Anyway my question is this:
Late S Types have the Ate braking system, as used on the early XF. Unfortunately my car has only 305mm front discs whereas the Sport and diesel versions have 326mm discs front and rear.
I would like to fit the larger discs and have been lucky enough to obtain a full set of caliper carriers from a near identical car to mine at the breakers yard.
Unfortunately the calipers were already sold so I was hoping to use my original calipers on the correct carriers.
Some internet research shows that the calipers for the 305mm discs have a different part number to those for the 326mm discs yet the pads and pistons seem to be the same.
Before I start any dismantling could anyone please help and say if there are ( and what they are) any differences between the calipers and if my orriginal ones will work as I hoped.

Thank you in advance, Chris.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

The official Jaguar parts catalogue may well be of help when finding the correct part numbers for your car:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...c-and-calipers

Adding your car's vin number to your signature will also help us all to see exactly what model year you have and what parts you will need.
See my signature below for an example.

However I agree the caliper part numbers are not the same for the 326 and 305 disks. My guess would be you will need the correct ones for the larger disks.
I think there is also a 2mm differance in the thickness of the disks? 326 are i think 2mm thicker than the 305mm disks? But you will need to check this as I may be wrong??

I am surprised that you find the braking inadequete with the 305 disks, perhaps the brake fluid has not been changed for a while? It is suposed to be changed every two years and it will make an improvement if it has not been changed for a while.

See this service info:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ype_jtp921.pdf

Mellow

Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 04-26-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 AM
Received 274 Likes on 188 Posts

Another train of thought - bigger brakes have a higher heat capacity so can be reused more frequently before overheating. Stopping distances don't change by much as it is really the tyres that are the limiting factor. Even smaller brakes are man enough to lock the wheels/trigger the ABS.

If you are not especially heavy on the brakes but want more bite, you could just try the highest-friction pads on the existing discs. Look for pad edge codes of GG for pads if possible that fit your car. The Jaguar originals are often very good and so are some of the Ferodo compounds.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

Thank you for the replies regarding the brakes.
I feel a bit of a fool now to be honest! I managed to have a proper look at the car over the weekend and my car actually does have 326mm brakes all round!
This now poses another question....... As the 2007 3.0Se is supposed to have 305mm brakes, does this mean I have the optional sports suspension?
This was indeed available as an optional extra according to my brochure so I am hopeful that I may have it as I am lead to believe the larger brakes camevwith it. It would actually explain why this car seem to roll much less than my previous S type!

Regards Chris.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:52 AM
Received 274 Likes on 188 Posts

From a 2008 brochure, the Sports versions had the sports suspension. From a 2006 US brochure, there was no Sport model but the 3.0 had the 326 mm brakes. I'm not sure that only the Sports versions had the bigger brakes.

Sign up for a TOPIx account and see what the build spec says about Sport or Touring suspension

Last edited by neilr; 05-07-2019 at 02:19 AM.