Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes faded

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes faded

Hello guys !

So uhm, 2 weeks ago i had my front brake pads changed. The brakes were outstanding after the change. But 5 days ago after i braked on a little downhill, the pedal faded. The pedal has to be pressed much more than normal, the car still stops but now its like its with old pads. When i depress fully, it starts skidding and activating ABS, it wasn't like that after the replacement, it didnt skid on a wet surfice! After the replacement i had to press the pedal lets say + - 2 cm., but now , wow , at least 5 cm. Its quite inconvinient. So any guess on what it may be from is welcome. I am pretty sure the brake fluid hasn't been changed since we own the car ( 5 years).

Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Your last sentence is my advice to you. Have the brakes inspected and fluid changed. A general rule of thumb is that it should be done about every two years.

The following users liked this post:
Angel Tsvetkov (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 AM

Thanks, will go to the service place as soon as i have some free time.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Seems the problems started when the new pads were installed. I'd revisit that area to see what went wrong. Technically your brakes did not 'fade', you just have low or soft pedal. Usually not difficult to fix assuming good quality components were used.

Angel Tsvetkov (02-06-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 AM

I went to the place that changed the pads (front only) and i said that the brakes got worse after a few days of usage and they started to squeak a bit.
They asked me how many THOUSEND kilometers i have driver after the pad change, and when i answered 500 km. max and they were like - Lol wut ?
They lifted the car and bled the brakes or whatever it is on the front only ( 3 minute procedure) and the guy said that the brake pedal feels good for him. We took it for a fast test drive with braking and let me tell you that NOW when braking fully from 100 km/h, the jag stop WAAAY SLOWER than my Mercedes 190D !!! the pedal still travels alot before meeting any resistance and actualy start stopping.
Is there a specific way of bleeding the system ?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Angel Tsvetkov
I went to the place that changed the pads (front only) and i said that the brakes got worse after a few days of usage and they started to squeak a bit.
They asked me how many THOUSEND kilometers i have driver after the pad change, and when i answered 500 km. max and they were like - Lol wut ?
They lifted the car and bled the brakes or whatever it is on the front only ( 3 minute procedure) and the guy said that the brake pedal feels good for him. We took it for a fast test drive with braking and let me tell you that NOW when braking fully from 100 km/h, the jag stop WAAAY SLOWER than my Mercedes 190D !!! the pedal still travels alot before meeting any resistance and actualy start stopping.
Is there a specific way of bleeding the system ?
If you are sure that the brakes are worse now than before the change of pads, I would take your car back to the brakes place and ask them to fix the problem.

Don't mess with it yourself or you'll get no comeback from the garage.

Angel Tsvetkov (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 AM

Actualy the pedal faded 1 month before the pads were changed, after a series of hard stoping. Back then i though that i just overheated them but it stayed on since then. When they installed the new pads, it was perfect, little push and the car starts to stop, full press on the pedal and it felt like you hit a wall it was that fast at stopping. 3 days after and BAM, same as before. I made an appointment for today aswell and will explain the situation again. Braking performance is greatly reduced at the moment.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Your last sentence is my advice to you. Have the brakes inspected and fluid changed. A general rule of thumb is that it should be done about every two years.
JOS is right. That's what Jaguar recommends, replace the fluid every 2 years.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Put a cover over the wheels to keep the sun off the brakes so they dont fade
sorry couldnt resist, brake fluid should be change every 2yr/24k, but it may be too late. There are 2 things that come to mind on this issue. Pads sucks and improper breakin made them that way or they just suck to begin with. And 2
dirt, bad brake fluid damage the seals and master cylinder bore. This causes internal bypass of pressure/fluid and lower pedal and poor performance. This can also be intermittent as sometimes it seals, sometimes not.
I would definitly bleed the brakes first and go from there. If you hard brake before the pads bedded in you need to change them. This is a issue with getting on pads to soon before they bed into full performance. I have ruin pads in high speed braking before and new pads and sometimes rotors are the answer. And bed them in properly next time before you "use" them

Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Angel Tsvetkov
Actualy the pedal faded 1 month before the pads were changed, after a series of hard stoping. Back then i though that i just overheated them but it stayed on since then. When they installed the new pads, it was perfect, little push and the car starts to stop, full press on the pedal and it felt like you hit a wall it was that fast at stopping. 3 days after and BAM, same as before. I made an appointment for today aswell and will explain the situation again. Braking performance is greatly reduced at the moment.
Again 'brake fade' has a very specific definition in English, this is NOT your problem.

Sounds like you have two separate problems according to the post above

1) low/soft pedal
2) poor stopping power

which may or may not be interrelated. Changing the fluid will do no harm but it's not the cause of these current issues. As others have said, let the garage sort it out if you expect them to pay for their mistake.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the same problem when I bought my 03. The brakes work but the travel and softness is not to my liking. I replaced the pads and rotors which helped but still not up to par. I am planning on replacing the brake fluid next because I don't it has ever been done.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM

The guys said that they will change the brake fluid and will get me a new master cylinder.