S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded coolant hose under the intake...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. JC
Well.. I'm now exactly a month into this project. I started the disassembly last Saturday. Everything went really smooth until I got to that S.O.B. EGR valve. What a royal pain in the ***. The bolts connecting it to the intake elbow seemed like they were fused to the EGR valve. Could not get a straight angle on them and keep the socket straight at the same time to avoid rounding them off (good thing I bought new ones). Unbolted the top of the EGR valve in frustration to try and get more room and even considered taking a saws-all to it to get to the bolts! In any case, I finally got it off and I'm glad I decided to spring for a new one because mine was corroded. Next pain in the *** issue was the bolts holding the EGR tube to the exhaust manifold. The rear one was stuck on so tight that it unscrewed the stud from the manifold. At first I thought it had broke off which sent me into a panic at the thought of buying a new manifold ($750) so I gave up for the day and didn't even bother to investigate this further. This Saturday I went at it again after a week long recovery and it turns out that half way up the stud, two of the threads were damaged preventing the nut from unscrewing completely; I hope Jaguar sells just the stud. Finally got everything off and it turns out that the heater hose connecting the EGR to the thermostat bypass pipe was leaking and when I grabbed ahold of it an tried to lift it out...it came apart at the joint where there was clear evidence of leakage. So in total, I've replaced the two hoses underneath the supercharger, knock sensors, thermostat housing inlet pipe (that the Jag tech said was leaking but showed no evidence of leakage) and the accompanying hose as well as 5 other misc. heather hoses that were is various stages of failure. Also waiting on the brake booster vac pipe o-ring replacement kit as suggested by Datsports. Any advice on getting the old brass fitting out?
Now.... I never, ever, ever want to do this again so, I need to get the supercharger rebuilt. I've read all the posts I could find about where to send it. PSE seems like a good option although some people complain of the turnaround time. Eurotoys claims 3-5 days once PSE receives it but others say that in reality it takes 2-3 weeks. I hope that this is not the case. Other options that PSE offers is porting and pulley upgrades. Some guys in the forum have mentioned that porting is a worthless option. Wondering if anyone has any comments on this.
Thanks!
Paragraphs...please

Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
Paragraphs...please
What the hell ? I could read that just fine , you must be a school teacher .
I don't think he plans to sell this post at a book store .its a discoshon not a novel.

The following users liked this post:
Superchargedxkr (02-12-2023)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

To get help make it easy for people to help. Bad spelling, lack of paras etc are all asking people just to move on without helping.

The following users liked this post:
Superchargedxkr (02-12-2023)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Peteship: Mine is a 2006 so the parts your mechanic will need are almost certainly the same as mine. If you want, I can post the parts that your mechanic will need in order to complete the job. If he/she is a Jaguar mechanic, they will likely follow the service manual word-for-word and you will end up replacing parts that aren't absolutely necessary to replace (like the gaskets between the induction manifold and supercharger outlet duct). If you want I can post a parts list that details all the mandatory things that will need to be replaced as well as the advised/optional parts.

As for my project, I'm still waiting on the supercharger to return from PSE.

Question regarding knock sensors: I bought a new torque wrench and initially read it wrong and over tightened the new knock sensors to 25 ft lbs (instead of 15). I understand these sensors are extremely sensitive to damage. I loosened them and then re-tightened to correct specs. Anyone think that I damaged them? I certainly don't want to put everything back together and find out that they are throwing codes.

Curious thing, I found an insulation bag underneath the supercharger. I assumed that this was to reduce heat radiation from the engine to the supercharger. However, when I tried to order a new one, Jaguar told me this insulation bag is only found on the normally aspirated 4.2s. I assume that the previous owner/mechanic had the same idea and placed the insulation bag there. Strange.

PS, I sincerely hope that I have used an appropriate number of paragraphs satisfy those with a predilection for providing unsolicited suggestions for spacing.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

The knock senser has a steel anti crush tube through the senser I very much doubt you could crush that tube at 25 ft lbs , but really I don't want to be the one who said it will be fine . But I'm sure it will be if you felt no cracks or bangs as it tightened.
My 03 had the insulating bag as well so I don't think it's after market ! I don't understand why you would need to change it ?
I degreased mine and it came up like brand new .

Old 08-22-2016, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

We have been told that the bag was for noise control but it has never been verified.

Please post back on the PSE rebuild. Are you getting it ported? I never saw any good results so just replaced mine with a 35K mile unit. I did notice some noise reduction and a bit more power with the lower mile blower. But the differences were very slight.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Datsports: The insulation bag is deteriorating somewhat and leaving pieces of it all over the engine valley. My philosophy with this car is that if I take anything off that is plastic or rubber, replace it if it's not ungodly expensive. The other thing is that some S-type parts are now no longer available for sale from Jaguar so I figure that now is the time to replace them. In any case, that's curious that your 03 also had this insulation bag. The Jag tech I talked to insisted that it only came on normally aspirated models to shield vacuum hoses that run under the intake which are not present on the supercharged engines (at least not mine).

As clubairth1 said, it's function has been reported to be for noise insulation and it's listed as such by Jaguar. However, I fail to imagine which noise is actually being muted or from being transmitted to where. Heat insulation seems more logical.

Clubairth1" I'll definitely post results of my experience with PSE as well as my assessment of performance increases, if any. Thinking about throwing on a Mina intake as well...

Old 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM

Well, $2,400, lots of scrapes, cuts, and bruises, and 6 weekends later its all back together and no computer codes!!! I really did expect the ECU to go nuts with everything that I replaced-including the MAP sensor wire harness that I broke and had to rewire. But nope, turned the crank and it fired up like nothing had ever happened. The only odd thing is that one (or more) of the belt pulleys decided to start chirping really loudly. Strange.

clubairth1, in regards to the the supercharger, I'm very pleased! I shipped it out and it came back exactly 7 days later and the 1.5 lbs Eurotoys pulley does exactly as advertised. Power increases are especially noticeable from 2000-4000 RPMs. Keep in mind though that the unit had 92k miles on it so the may be the power increase is a combination from the reman and the pulley.

Now for the next project...suspension. I have this odd front end vibration from about 55-65 mph that is sometimes worse other times hardly noticeable. And despite regular alignments, I have a bad toe wear on the passenger side front tire. Jaguar doesn't have a clue they said because everything seemed pretty tight.

Last edited by Dr. JC; 09-12-2016 at 03:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. JC:
Datsports (09-12-2016), Eurotoys (09-12-2016)
Old 06-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
What the hell ? I could read that just fine , you must be a school teacher .
I don't think he plans to sell this post at a book store .its a discoshon not a novel.
Will there be a book out though? I was kind of looking forward to it since everyone is talking about it!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You need two water outlet seals (C2C1147710).