EPB Issue, But not the same! (maybe) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Notices
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPB Issue, But not the same! (maybe)

 
  #1  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 PM
jazzwineman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 710
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default EPB Issue, But not the same! (maybe)

Have 2005 3.0 s-type. 106K. Car stays garaged and no water issues. For about a year or so, out of the blue I will get a "park brake fault" yellow light message. This has occurred when I will just be driving down the road and all of a sudden the message comes on. If I stop and turn the car off and even just turn off turn on KOEO it goes away. Even when I have the message I have zero trouble engaging and dis-engaging the parking brake. I have once had an "unable to apply parking brake", but again that went away with turning the engine off and on. I have gotten the park brake fault when I turn the engine off, but can manually apply the park brake and switch the ignition on and off and message is gone and then the automatic part is back as well. Even when the park brake fault comes on when driving down the road at 40 mph or 70mph, if I try and use the EPB to stop the car it works perfectly and gets more firm the second and third try as it is supposed to do. I really do not understand why I get the park brake fault when just driving down the road. It appears to be one of these electronic hiccups and for a split second or less, the power is not reported correctly. Never had an engine code, but from the TSB NUMBER: JTB00084 (which also applies to XJ and XK models) the codes would be C codes and my scanner does not read those. I have a friend in Houston that has a Jag based scanner that will show those, but have to wait until he comes to Dallas.

I have done calibration once a week for the last four weeks and still this inconsistent message. There is no binding in the cable, the motor sounds as if under no stress and in fact the engagement and dis-engagement of the park brake is very quiet.
I have not had a chance from TSB to check to see if the caliper levers are returning fully to their stops, but that is my next step and perhaps lubricate them and if possible some of the cable, but I do not think that is my problem. I did check the connections to the park brake module and the module and the connections look next to new. I did put some CRC electric parts cleaner on the connections, but that probably did nothing as they looked fine.

The battery is 4 months new and I have had none of the normal low battery associated problems of cruise not available flashes or a beep and DTC or ABS not available. The alternator is fairly new, about 1.5 yrs old and tha car is only driven about 6k a year now.

The rear brake rotor and pads are new within 5k miles. The rear calipers are original, but seem to operate fine, but could they be causing the failure notice for some reason?


Any suggestions are welcomed

Tom in Dallas/Plano
 
  #2  
Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: california
Posts: 406
Thanked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Default

hey Tom how you doing. I get the exact same thing. I also get a code saying key in circuit failure. I believe it has to do with the key being sloppy in the cylinder. What I ended up doing was taking my car key off the main key ring and actually using it upside down and that seems to take the pressure off so that the thing works right.try this put your key in the cylinder with the door open and see if you get that ding dong ding dong ding dong that you left your key in and if you don't just raise up on the back of the key and then it should set it off but I think you're having the same thing happening to you. It doesn't affect anything like you say it just sets that orange light off but the park brake won't set automatically it also affects the automatic steering column and the memory seat function because the car thinks that the key is out of the ignition.. if it sets a code it will also show up in the body control module and a couple other modules but it doesn't really affect any drivability of the car .the fix that I was reading about was basically have to replace the ignition cylinder and I'm not going to do that myself that's just way too much money for an annoying orange light once in awhile..the code that actually comes up is a b code.... can't remember exactly it's like b2524 or something like that but it's definitely a body code
 

Last edited by scottjh9; 12-16-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Addition
The Following User Says Thank You to scottjh9 For This Useful Post:
kr98664 (12-18-2018)
  #3  
Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 PM
jazzwineman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 710
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scottjh9 View Post
hey Tom how you doing. I get the exact same thing. I also get a code saying key in circuit failure. I believe it has to do with the key being sloppy in the cylinder. What I ended up doing was taking my car key off the main key ring and actually using it upside down and that seems to take the pressure off so that the thing works right.try this put your key in the cylinder with the door open and see if you get that ding dong ding dong ding dong that you left your key in and if you don't just raise up on the back of the key and then it should set it off but I think you're having the same thing happening to you. It doesn't affect anything like you say it just sets that orange light off but the park brake won't set automatically it also affects the automatic steering column and the memory seat function because the car thinks that the key is out of the ignition.. if it sets a code it will also show up in the body control module and a couple other modules but it doesn't really affect any drivability of the car .the fix that I was reading about was basically have to replace the ignition cylinder and I'm not going to do that myself that's just way too much money for an annoying orange light once in awhile..the code that actually comes up is a b code.... can't remember exactly it's like b2524 or something like that but it's definitely a body code
Interesting. I will try what you are saying or use my spare key and see if that has any affect. never had the message about the key in the circuit failure, but might try as it is simple enough.

Thanks

Tom
 
  #4  
Old 12-16-2018, 09:49 PM
jazzwineman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 710
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scottjh9 View Post
hey Tom how you doing. I get the exact same thing. I also get a code saying key in circuit failure. I believe it has to do with the key being sloppy in the cylinder. What I ended up doing was taking my car key off the main key ring and actually using it upside down and that seems to take the pressure off so that the thing works right.try this put your key in the cylinder with the door open and see if you get that ding dong ding dong ding dong that you left your key in and if you don't just raise up on the back of the key and then it should set it off but I think you're having the same thing happening to you. It doesn't affect anything like you say it just sets that orange light off but the park brake won't set automatically it also affects the automatic steering column and the memory seat function because the car thinks that the key is out of the ignition.. if it sets a code it will also show up in the body control module and a couple other modules but it doesn't really affect any drivability of the car .the fix that I was reading about was basically have to replace the ignition cylinder and I'm not going to do that myself that's just way too much money for an annoying orange light once in awhile..the code that actually comes up is a b code.... can't remember exactly it's like b2524 or something like that but it's definitely a body code
Scott- just went and tried and that is the exact problem. Could even force the park brake fault in doing so and that explains when running why is will just come on. What nonsense. I could get the beeps by moving it upward or by pressing in tighter straight ahead.

Tom
 
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzwineman For This Useful Post:
kr98664 (12-18-2018)
  #5  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: california
Posts: 406
Thanked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jazzwineman View Post
Scott- just went and tried and that is the exact problem. Could even force the park brake fault in doing so and that explains when running why is will just come on. What nonsense. I could get the beeps by moving it upward or by pressing in tighter straight ahead.

Tom
Exactly .Only fix is a new cylinder I think maybe a new key but mine are still sharp . still too much for an orange light annoyance
 

Last edited by scottjh9; 12-16-2018 at 10:43 PM.
  #6  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 PM
jazzwineman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 710
Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scottjh9 View Post
Exactly .Only fix is a new cylinder I think maybe a new key but mine are still sharp . still too much for an orange light annoyance
Yours seems to be in worse shape than mine. I have zip zero trouble with the steering column or seat memory. My park-brake sets 98% of the time., but it is a damn irritating nuisance. I tried my second key and the valet key- all with same results.

Tom
 
  #7  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,704
Thanked 575 Times in 446 Posts
Default

A quick update to add a link to a separate thread with the amazingly simple fix:


https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...around-211812/


Hopefully this helps somebody down the road who ends up here.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to kr98664 For This Useful Post:
Norri (01-01-2019)
  #8  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: california
Posts: 406
Thanked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kr98664 View Post
A quick update to add a link to a separate thread with the amazingly simple fix:


https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...around-211812/


Hopefully this helps somebody down the road who ends up here.
Thanks for linking Karl...I still do not know how to put a link into a post
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Johnken
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
2
05-17-2017 09:09 AM
Harry Dredge
XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III
7
11-02-2015 12:31 AM
zeek
XK / XKR ( X150 )
8
06-27-2014 10:03 AM
manycars
S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 )
16
11-30-2013 04:05 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EPB Issue, But not the same! (maybe)


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: