S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type some hard to find parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 05:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S-Type some hard to find parts

So a week ago I bought an S-Type. It is a 2002 Sport 3.0 V6 Manual model. It is in great shape, minus some details here and there.

So I'm mainly reworking suspension and brakes, since those are stock. I've already bought Ceika Motorsports coilovers, I will get custom alignment, and I'm planning to replace all suspension bushings. I am also looking into other minor things too.

- Stick shifter is a bit loose. I saw this thread, and I will attempt to replace the bushing: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushing-178171/
- One of the rear fender indicator turn lights has a small crack. Not visible unless you pay attention, but would like to replace it. I can't find it new, is junkyard the only option?
- Can't seem to find motor and transmission mounts, unless JLR original. They don't seem worn, but would like to replace them anyways, since from experience they have very subtle effects that add up. Any options?
- For suspensions bushings, there are Meyle and other brands available. I also look into poly kits, but unsure if these are good option. I am obviously willing to give up NVH, but not willing to have squeaks and other weird noises.

Picrel is the car.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts

Hi, if "custom alignment" = wheel alignment: Do that AFTER all the work of the suspension parts. and in case you intend to swap tyres: After that, too. But your tyres look fine.

> One of the rear fender indicator turn lights has a small crack.
I know only model 2004 and later. But if the 2002 is in these regards the same: There is no rear fender indicator - it's just an ugly orange reflector, which is asks for replacement with something functional and beautiful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...arkers-273400/

Old 02-29-2024, 06:37 AM

Thanks.

With custom alignment I meant an alignment not following official manufacturer guidelines. Unsure how this is called in english. It will be done after installing all suspension parts indeed.

In regards to the rear fender indicator, it is indeed just a reflector. Thanks for that thread. I'll check it out.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, this orange reflector really upsets the design of the S-Type. Some people paint over the ugly orange with the paint of their Jag. But I prefer my method.

The custom suspension setup you have in mind would probably mean that the S-Type is at the end of day lower on the road... - bad idea, if that will be the case...

Old 02-29-2024, 08:44 AM

The idea would be to lower it 2-3cm average. Specific value will vary per axle because it will be adjusted based on axle weight (car will be put on a scale). I need to check current clearance on my garage ramp, it is steep, if it clears that it should be ok. I don't want to go too low because you end up damaging the underbody.

I think I prefer the original reflectors, I don't find them ugly. Not sure about the sweeping led strip vs just the light, either. I saw in another thread that JLR still has those reflectors for 20$, so I'll try to get one.

I forgot to reply about the tyres. They still have quite a bit of thread. They are Sava UHP2s, which is a decent asymmetric high performance street tyre. However, as with most street non-semi-slick tires, the casing flexes quite a bit and I can tell even with the stock suspension. So depending on how they do with the new setup I will either use them until worn or replace them right away with Yokohama V105s.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

It's only a few days ago, when we watched someone with a lowered car driving up the neighbour's steep driveway, that my wife asked me once again:
"Why would anybody lower their car?" A hurtful scratching noise was the result of the lowered car driving up, when he hit the road with the rear of his car when transiting from road to driveway (angle!). I actually increased the height above the road on my van (there is a factory adjustment built in). And on our S-Type I had to cut off the lower section of the rear mudflaps so that they hit the road only minimally, when I drive up the driveway. Lowering any car has 2 consequences:
1.) You have to be very careful, where you drive, and you have to avoid certain areas.
2.) You WILL damage your car anyway, it's only a matter of time.
Hence, it just does not make sense...

Reflectors: It's in the eye of the beholder. For me, orange is the most ugly colour in this world and it most certainly does not match with any colour the Jag has.

Yokohama sounds good, but I use SUPERCAT tyres, and I use a white tyre marker to emphasize the word SUPERCAT (= Jaguar... ) and I also emphasize the 2 Jaguars on the tyre in white.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:16 PM

You get better performance by lowering the car. The center of gravity sits lower and it noticeably reduces body roll and weight transfer.

I have another car (Renault Laguna) with H&R sport springs lowered about 3.5cm. It's fine, I can go anywhere with it. It's not that low anyway, you can't even tell if it's lowered or not just by looking at it. Those cars came quite high from factory, and on the Jaguar I'll have adjustable coilovers so it will be better to precisely set the height.

Yokohama has the stiffest case on its segment on the V105, along with S001s, I use them on my other car. They also handle abuse much better than others, for example, they last more than double than the PZeros that I used years ago did. It's actually shocking how good they are for sport use, but they will be noisier and worse in terms of NVH.

I wrote an email to these guys in the UK two days ago and I'm not getting any replies: https://www.polybush.co.uk/polyureth.../s-type-99-02/

I'm not sure what to do with bushings.

Last edited by dvartic; 02-29-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding NVH: If those tyres are really noisier, this would be a minus for me. Our S-Type has noisy tyres, but we just have to live with it, until they are worn off or definitely too old (more like the latter, due to our limited driving). It would be a waste to throw good tyres away, even if they are annoyingly noisy. And guess what: I had no idea, what brand is on our S-Type (the SUPERCATs are on my X308), and I checked...: Yokohamas! They came with the S-Type, when I bought it. When I fixed the S-Type and drove it for the first time, immediately stopped on the road to check, what's wrong - that noise! But it was really only the tyres...

Old 03-01-2024, 03:15 AM

I've contacted SuperFlex, I got recommended their products: https://www.superflex.co.uk/ Hopefully they'll reply.

As for tyres, yes the V105s are a bit noisier, but the biggest difference is that they don't filter the road well, it's as if you have stiffer suspension. Same with S001s. They perform great though. Two decades ago, high performance asymmetric street tyres used stiff casings, but Michelin and other manufacturers found out that a lot of drivers that fit those tires actually don't drive that hard so they started to soften the casing while keeping a softer sport compound. This improved all NVH metrics, wet performance and fuel consumption. Here in the EU, regulators also started mandating stickers on the tyres with noise, wet performance and an efficiency rating.

So Michelin went from the old PS2 with stiff casing, to the PS3 and current PS4 with soft casings. On Michelin you need to either get their semislicks (PSC) or get the old PS2 (afaik they still make it). Bridgestone kept the S001, but also launched a softer Potenza Sport.

It all depends on what you use your car for. For sport use, in order of importance:
1. Springs/shocks (big effect)
2. Tyre stiffness (medium effect)
3. Suspension bushings (small effect)
4. Chassis flex (not relevant on a modern car)

Old 03-01-2024, 04:50 PM
Received 151 Likes on 119 Posts

Don’t lower it. My S-type already catches the underside on the exit to my drive in standard trim. The car is already low enough to have a low centre of gravity. If you want to improve handling, you could change to stiffer springs, new suspension joints and better tyres, but I wouldn’t go lower.
Christine was always very helpful at Superflex, when I used to be in the trade. Not sure if she is still there.
Superflex don’t list many bushes for the S-type, but Powerflex do.

Last edited by Sportston; 03-01-2024 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Peter_of_Australia (03-01-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 02:33 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it does seem to sit reasonably low from factory, so if there's not enough margin I won't lower it.

I wrote SuperFlex an email. I'll call them if they don't answer. I got them, specifically, recommended. Apparently, with poly bushings there's big differences in quality depending on the manufacturer. It's also strange that they would only list rear anti-roll bar bushings for the car.

PowerFlex has many listed. Also Polybush UK has a kit https://www.polybush.co.uk/polyureth.../s-type-99-02/
Do you have any references for Polybush? I've sent them an email three days ago and they did not answer.

I'm also trying to buy braided brake lines. StopTech in the US makes them apparently. But brake lines are a small detail, suspension is the important part.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:43 AM
Received 151 Likes on 119 Posts

A mixture of Powerflex and Polybush are fitted to my cars. I rate Powerflex as being better quality out of the two. The only reason I didn’t use Superflex is that they only list antiroll bar bushes for the Jag. Their range is limited.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:29 AM

I see, thanks. I'll try talking to SuperFlex first, will post results.

Would you still recommend going for poly bushings over stock? It would be my first time fitting them on a car. I don't have friend that tried poly bushings either. NVH doesn't concern me, but weird noises do.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Might want to check as the brake lines on my old 2005 S-Type R were SS braided?
Plastic covered so I could not tell easily.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Might want to check as the brake lines on my old 2005 S-Type R were SS braided?
Plastic covered so I could not tell easily.
I've checked and I think they are rubber, but will check again. When you say plastic covered, do they look something similar to this, a steel braid can be noticed through the plastic rubber surface?

Old 03-07-2024, 04:14 AM

I'm also gathering more parts. I want to do as much as possible at once. I've decided to order custom silencers and exhaust tips from https://www.zaustworx.co.uk
Got the 4" slash cut rolled inward tips, which should look sportier but not over the top. This is the only aesthetic modification I'm planning to make. They should look similar to Mina exhaust tails, which I saw where somewhat popular in S-Type Rs in this forum.

Bought the front anti roll bar links, which I am planning to replace whatever their condition is, a coolant hose that passes very close to accessory belt and got some slashes from it, generic boot covers for ball joints, some random tools, etc.

Made no progress on the bushings, got no response from email from either Polybush or Superflex, might need to call. I also sent an email to Armageddon Turbo (lmao at the name) in the US for the StopTech brake lines if they ship to EU, no response either.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Since I had an STR and those did come with SS brake lines I am not sure if the lower models did too?
I think so?
I thought all Jaguars came with SS brake lines but maybe not?

Here is a good thread with the picture I was talking about? They are plastic covered so not obvious that they are metal. This is from an XF forum and in it they mention models that are SS and others that are just rubber?
Brake Hose Replacement

Old 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Since I had an STR and those did come with SS brake lines I am not sure if the lower models did too?
I think so?
I thought all Jaguars came with SS brake lines but maybe not?

Here is a good thread with the picture I was talking about? They are plastic covered so not obvious that they are metal. This is from an XF forum and in it they mention models that are SS and others that are just rubber?
Brake Hose Replacement
Thank you. Mines are definitely not steel braided. I'll take a photo later.

Apparently, and also as showed in the thread you shared, the steel braided OEM units have a clear plastic cover. These are some used examples: https://www.autoreservejaguar.com/s-...rear-left.html
That listing also shows VIN number range and year where steel braided were fitted. Mine is earlier.

In addition, most information suggests that these are not backwards compatible. The Rs fronts are definitely different, the back non-Rs seem to have different bends in the solid steel part. Lastly, the StopTech aftermarket units are listed as 00-02 only, instead of the full range.

I think I'll try to order the StopTech units, if I find a retailer that ships to EU. Probably little to no difference compared to the fiber-reinforced rubber lines but whatever.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

I have upgraded other cars to SS braided brake lines and I find a nice improvement in brake feel compared to rubber lines. I have been told that's because SS lines swell less under pressure than the rubber ones so the brakes react quicker.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:12 PM

A coolant hose just broke lmao not even a month it lasted. I've been driving it a lot and I like it. Also engine doesn't consume any oil.

I've been ordering parts but will take months, so I think I'll start with random cosmetic stuff, maybe cleaning + polishing, maybe repair already the stick shift and all that.

Quick Reply: S-Type some hard to find parts