S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Ballast

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight Ballast

I have had my 2003 STR for a couple of months. A couple of weeks ago the right headlight went out, and it was determined to be the ballast (by dealer). Now the left side has gone out.

Is it likely to be the same problem? Why would ballast fail on both sides? Are they sensitive to the hot weather we have been having? Do they fail after 8 years? I was setting the headlights to auto, which means they go on and off a few extra times. Anyone avoid using Auto to save wear and tear on the headlights?

Thinking of doing it myself this time, but want to have the ballast on hand if it is likely to be the problem, since don't want to have to take things apart multiple times and the dealer doesn't stock the part. I see some used ones out there ($250) and some eBay ones too. Anyone had any experience with the used parts or should I just shell out the $450 and get a new one? Given the difficulty of accessing the headlights, would like to do something that lasts.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Here is what I would do. First ALL the parts are expensive so be sure of what you need before buying parts. Next you need to DIY or it will be expensive. So to start off swap the bulbs from side to side and then the ballast. Report back what you find out.

Don't forget the basic stuff like are you getting power to both lights? Are the grounds good? Do you have the JTIS so you know what is what?

HID's have a long life and I don't worry at all about using the automatic headlights. The failure mode is usually a dimming of the bulbs over long time frames. The bulbs are cheaper on Ebay and there are differences in quality.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 AM

Thanks. I do have JTIS.

It will probably be a week before I'll have time to do the tests.

I decided to order some parts from eBay, where they aren't very expensive (< $300 for ballast and two Philips bulbs). Would like to have some confidence in the headlights, since I didn't like losing them on a trip and your basic Pep Boys kind of place didn't really have a clue about how to service an STR.

Also noticed that I couldn't get the front fog lights to work. The rears work fine. I have to look at those while doing the headlights. I do get the green light on the dash when I activate the fog lights, but neither of the fog lights illuminates. Fortunately, the high beams work, so I can fall back to that until I get the low beams fixed.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 PM

FYI, got the fog lights working. Checked fuse and relay and seemed okay. Pulled right side bulb, and it didn't seem to fit very well. With it out, the left side started working. With same bulb, got right to work, but intermittently. Replaced right side bulb and both sides seem to be working fine now.

Not exactly sure how right side was killing left side. In my case the bulbs were H1-55W, not the H3-55W called for by JTIS.

P.S. While working on fog lights, put in Mina lower mesh grill. Like the look of the mesh grill. Had to get some new nuts for the kit, since the ones sent by Mina were too big. Wish I didn't have to have a front license plate or it was more elegantly integrated into the bumper.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Took the bumper off and found that it was a failed ballast on the left side. Had purchased a new replacement on eBay from factory_xenon. Also bought and installed two new bulbs. Total cost was $280 and a couple of hours work. Hopefull, I won't have to mess with it again soon.

The things that slowed be down were getting the bolt out right behind the wheel well that holds on the corner of the bumper cover. Was just able to get a 1/4" ratchet in on it. The clip for one of the bulbs came loose, so that took a while to get everything seated properly. Replacing the ballast takes about a minute once you can get to it (3 screws), so would have been easier if I hadn't messed with the bulbs. Also found I am missing one of the top bolts that hold in the headlights. Local hardware store didn't have the self starting threads, so I guess I have to go to the dealer and see if they have it. Couldn't get one without self starting threads to get started.

One question where is the rubber hose supposed to go that is with the headlights? They were loose on mine, so it is hard to tell.

Thanks,

Chuck

Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Doesn't matter where the hose goes so long as it's not going to get water into it. They're to allow expansion / contraction etc

Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I am having similar issues with my 2003 str, maybe you can recommend the direction I should go with the issue. I recently replaced both low beam bulbs due to one being a different color, one stock blue and the other kind of yellow. After replacing them both thinking it was the bulbs, my driver side has gone out. I dont know what the issue could be and im reluctant to go near the dealer. The first time i had headlight issues i had to pay some bodyshop 100 plus to change 2 bulbs and im not sure what the outcome will be now. im guessing its a ballast issue but not sure, if anyone can point me in the right direction it would not only make my experience as a forum member worth it but i would sincerely appreciate it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I would check the igniter. It is the black box in the end of the bulb. Make sure the small cable is still attached to it. I had that problem when I replaced a bulb.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not sure how to reach the bulb without removing the bumper which I have not done before and dont have the appropriate tools to do so- the amount of trouble i had with this headlight issue the first time makes my head spin. I think finding a trustworthy mechanic (very difficult is my city unfortunately) is my only option since taking it to the dealer is out of the question.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a great write up on this site for removing the bumper. I had a harder time getting the igniter back on correctly than removing the bumper. Any mechanic that has experience working on jaguars shouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ballast location?

Is the ballast for the low beam and hi beam bulbs connected right on the bulb itself? Or is it in the engine bay elsewhere?

I have no juice to one hi beam headlight on the passenger side and no juice to one low beam headlight on driver side.

I tried get a reading at the fuse but I could not, so is the problem with the ECM control module?

By the way, the instrument cluster does not light up either..........bought the car used recently..............

Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Does your car have HID lights?

The HID is only on the low beams so the ballast is for them. The hi beams are just standard lights.

The ballast is attached up by the headlights themselves. Look for a metal box with a yellow sticker warning of high voltage.

It looks like this;

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Ballast-hid-box.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Designeer (07-01-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-10-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much clubairth1.

I don't have HID now I know..........

Old 06-24-2018, 02:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HID lamp

Wrong thread for my post. Please disregard .

Last edited by EXEF; 06-24-2018 at 03:01 AM.