S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden features that amazed you

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Just tried the remote.... it does global close if you hold the lock button down long enough. Doesn't deadlock unless you double-press.

I think it's a feature common to many cars with Ford PATS.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Just tried the remote.... it does global close if you hold the lock button down long enough. Doesn't deadlock unless you double-press.

I think it's a feature common to many cars with Ford PATS.
Darn it, mine didn't do it in the garage this morning...I want to try it before I deadlock it but I can't because suprise, suprise....I'm at work and it is snowing again...

Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by bull27
it is a $60,000 vehicle msrp. So all of these features you are paying for and should work properly and efficiently.

1) the adaptive headlights are a great idea and feature when your heading down a windy road, however, jaguar fails.
2) mine may be broken, but on this one a could give a sh*t, for those who have working automatic wipers, how do they work?
3) all im asking for is a chime when to actually turn, that too much to ask!?
4) for a (premium), amped, sound system, this also fails. My bose system in my infinini fx45 was in a completely different league, it absolutely blew this system away and i am utterly shocked at how much better it was than the jag's.
uhh you have auto leveling not adaptive that actually turn as you do, you need the new xk for that
dont like the stereo, buy a 2010 xj, you wont be complaining anymore,....30 something bower and wilkins speakers standard
put the wiper on auto and set on 1st up from off setting
(most complain they go off when not raining, cause theyre light reactive, you can wave you hand across them and theyll go off)

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM

And who here has b6 armour plating on their jaguar????
Yes with bp glass too
straight from the factory special order

Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

bp glass - the drug dealers?

oh, wrong thread!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
uhh you have auto leveling not adaptive that actually turn as you do, you need the new xk for that
dont like the stereo, buy a 2010 xj, you wont be complaining anymore,....30 something bower and wilkins speakers standard
put the wiper on auto and set on 1st up from off setting
(most complain they go off when not raining, cause theyre light reactive, you can wave you hand across them and theyll go off)
I was under the impression that they did turn as the vehicle did, and also if I were going up a hill they would adjust and vice versa for going down a hill. Regardless they dont raise, lower, or move side to side, as far as I can tell.

In regards to "buy a 2010 XJ and I wont be complaining", I dont really have the extra $110,00 laying around for an XJ Supersport, so I will keep getting my panties in a bunch, complaining and bitching on how Jaguar and Alpine FAILED.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM

^^^^ no they auto level when you first turn the car on with headlights on, maybe yours are broken(common). And the auto level is for when you put your 3 big friends in the trunk and your headlights point to the sky, they auto level down to not blind drivers. the 2010 start at $80- and is pretty well optioned standard unless you want the 510hp sc supersport(which is $110 and special order only, but hey you can have your name put on the dash from the factorywith that too)

Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
^^^^ no they auto level when you first turn the car on with headlights on, maybe yours are broken(common). And the auto level is for when you put your 3 big friends in the trunk and your headlights point to the sky, they auto level down to not blind drivers. the 2010 start at $80- and is pretty well optioned standard unless you want the 510hp sc supersport(which is $110 and special order only, but hey you can have your name put on the dash from the factorywith that too)
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification and input. They do go up and down when I start the car, just never noticed any movements while driving. I try to avoid taking my boys out for a night on the town with the Jag, and yes most of them are big dudes, something always seems to get F'd up. Thats what my wife's Saab is for

BTW that supersport is mighty fine.

Name:  XJ.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I liked the auto-wipers, and the automatic windows/sunroof through the keyfob was neat, but useless.

I have the Alpine premium audio, it's not bad, but it's not great either. When listening to music, I can hear a big difference between the car stereo and my home PC (which sounds clearer and I can hear more instruments). I'd like to check out the system in the newer cars, I'm a big B&W fan.

The GPS is a joke. It once said I reached my destination in the middle of the freeway, even though the destination marker on the map was way off from my location.

The DSC works better than I would've expected. I'm not exactly driving on snow tires here, and I think it's the only reason I've managed to get around Ohio this week. Not to mention it saved me from sliding off the road in the Poconos last month.

I really wish the back seats would fold down.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by phaelax
i liked the auto-wipers, and the automatic windows/sunroof through the keyfob was neat, but useless.

I have the alpine premium audio, it's not bad, but it's not great either. When listening to music, i can hear a big difference between the car stereo and my home pc (which sounds clearer and i can hear more instruments). I'd like to check out the system in the newer cars, i'm a big b&w fan.

The gps is a joke. It once said i reached my destination in the middle of the freeway, even though the destination marker on the map was way off from my location.

The dsc works better than i would've expected. I'm not exactly driving on snow tires here, and i think it's the only reason i've managed to get around ohio this week. Not to mention it saved me from sliding off the road in the poconos last month.

I really wish the back seats would fold down.
how did you get a stype without rear folding seat, they should. Did you check the releases in the trunk?
Also the global close and open is great in the summer(here at least when the interior is 150*) you can open as you walk up and get the interior temp down to a tolerable level when parked outside
you can calibrate the gps cursor, i dont remeber how but i believe theres a proceddure in the manual( i have garvin in mine)

Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bull27

IF YOU THINK THE PICS ARE GREAT( I THOUGHT SO SO WHEN I FIRST SAW IT) YOU SHOULD SEE IN PERSON......PICS DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE AT ALL.
IM REALLY IMPRESSED SO FAR ( I KNOW TO EACH HIS OWN) BUT I DO GET TO DRIVE ALOT OF DIFFERENT EXOTICS AROUND (ALTHOUGH THEY WOULDNT LET ANYONE DRIVE THE MCLAREN)
AND ITS LIKE NO OTHER CAR IVE BEEN IN, AND ILL LET YOU KNOW AFTER I CAN GET IN 1 TO DRIVE. WE'RE GETTING A COUPLE MORE SOON FROM WHAT I HEAR

Old 02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My buddy has a SLR they are nice but not that fast
We are all on Shockerracing.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeI9aop3cc

Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the stereo in our XF. The USB and Sirius sound great in it, especially compared to the sub par sound of the stereo in our '05 S-Type R. Even our 01 S-type has a better sounding stereo than the STR.

The XF is a dream to drive, love flying into the corners in the XF, very stable with no body lean, but really love pushing that right peddle down to the floor in the Supercharged S, what a rush.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
The remore may close them if you hold the Lock button down (never tried on the jag, but did on a similarish car I had).
Unfortunately won't work on a Jag but I've had that work on other cars too.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

bz - it DOES work on my STR now that I've tried it. I posted that yesterday. Someone suggested it may depend on legal issues (so may be set up differently depending where the car was bought).

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just discovered the Jaguar hood ornament will swivel to be running at you or away from you. Probably covered elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swiveling Cat

My guess is that it's for safety reasons...same as the three pointed star. That little bit of 'give' could be the difference in being impaled by a chrome cat or simply bruised. Makes no difference anyway...the destiny of many of the shiny ornaments is to serve as bling for a thug. With any luck at all, you'll recognize your cat and can confront the cat thief. Let us know how THAT works out for you.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

I must admit I drove my STR for 3 months before I discovered that I could slide the front half of the center console door forward to cover the cupholders. It looks so much better that way! It was set back when I bought it, so I assumed the cupholder were always exposed.

I also like the British "Bond Girl" accent on the voice from the NAV system. She sounds so pleasant when she says, "You have arrived at your destination." I felt like I had arrived the first time I heard that. The American female accent is lame, but either is FAR better than the voice on the Aston Martin NAV system. She COMMANDS the driver around like a woman's prison warden: "TURN LEFT. TURN RIGHT IN 1 MILE. TURN NOW."

Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Crap I'd like to turn off or change.

Originally Posted by RobGardnerBlack
All the clever things the ZF box does without you knowing or realising; Adaptive Shift Strategies, Shift Energy Management, Cruise Mode etc…

The real hidden feature is making it last............................
I wish I could turn all that crap off.
Because ... it means you cannot depend on what the tranny is going to do. It's constantly learning. It's always changing gears when I really don't want it to. So I run it in the left side of the "U" gate and that seems a lot more predictable but it must be a killer on the gas mileage.

The new Jags (2011) do none of this that one can notice so I guess they have learned quite a bit by now.

How about the automatic door locks. A R G H!

I haven't gotten around to it yet so this one is probably my fault. On my Ford I had them turn it off.

Can the dealer turn the automatic door locks off on this car?

Plus, there's no door unlock switch that I've found. You have to pull that tab next to the door handle.

You can't open the trunk unless the car is in park. Dumb. It seems to know the difference between stationary and moving (example: door locks) so why not base the operational block on that? That would seem to be a simple software change.

Auto windshield wipers seem to work reasonably well on my car. I'd heard from a salesman that they did not. Seem OK to me.

I wish they'd displayed the current gear selected on the dash.

Bob S.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
How about the automatic door locks. A R G H!
I like them
I haven't gotten around to it yet so this one is probably my fault. On my Ford I had them turn it off.

Can the dealer turn the automatic door locks off on this car?
I believe so (but they probably don't "know" they can).

I suspect you can do it yourself but figuring out which stalk to press when doing (whatever) may be painful. It'll likely be similar to one of the Fords (or indeed other car makes).
Plus, there's no door unlock switch that I've found. You have to pull that tab next to the door handle.
I call that a switch, but hey. It's good enough for what I want.
You can't open the trunk unless the car is in park.
I didn't know that. I'll try it some time. Maybe.
Dumb. It seems to know the difference between stationary and moving (example: door locks) so why not base the operational block on that? That would seem to be a simple software change.
It probably would be (leaving out that there's no such thing as a simple software change). What it REALLY would need would be for Jaguar to decide they had a desire to do it your way and then the change would follow. Actually, this and other things need to be user-settable and the touch screen could be the way. So long as it doesn't end up like those BMW disasters.
I wish they'd displayed the current gear selected on the dash.

Bob S.
hmm, I wouldn't mind but it's an auto so I can see a strong argument as to why it shouldn't matter. Again, it ought to be user-settable how much stuff is displayed.

Quick Reply: Hidden features that amazed you