Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden features that amazed you

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Plus, there's no door unlock switch that I've found. You have to pull that tab next to the door handle.
Bob S.
Ummm... It's in the center stack.

As pictured... Heated seat switch; Door Lock switch, Hazard Lamps, DSC control, Heated seat switch............

Oh, a neat feature I just discovered.. The stereo keeps separate tone settings for each input.. So, if you set the bass and treble different for cd's and FM it actually knows it...First one I've seen do that.

Last edited by JOsworth; 10-16-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
I didn't know that. I'll try it some time. Maybe..
Well, they probably thought they had to because of the way the trunk flys up it might be a bit of a problem while you're moving. They just didn't think this one through.
I've already had one screaming fight with "she who must be obeyed" in the pouring rain when I didn't realize yet that I had to have the darn car in park to open the trunk.

It probably would be (leaving out that there's no such thing as a simple software change). What it REALLY would need would be for Jaguar to decide they had a desire to do it your way and then the change would follow. Actually, this and other things need to be user-settable and the touch screen could be the way. So long as it doesn't end up like those BMW disasters.
Oh come on. If the software has been engineered properly it's relatively simple. They lock the car while it's moving so they clearly have an event trigger in the system for that. This is the first car I've ever had that did this. Let software engineers have too much control and they promptly screw things up.

hmm, I wouldn't mind but it's an auto so I can see a strong argument as to why it shouldn't matter. Again, it ought to be user-settable how much stuff is displayed.
Here's my reasoning for it. The "J" or "U" gate selector doesn't provide a very good feel on the LH side for which gear you're in so it would be nice.
PLus, I bet someone has figured out how to put paddle shifters on this tranny ans maybe one day on these cars. That would be nice to have too.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

OK, give me three Homer Simpsons.

Still, we all know where it should be. Next to the window switches or somewhere on that arm rest. That's pretty well hidden.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Ummm... It's in the center stack.

As pictured... Heated seat switch; Door Lock switch, Hazard Lamps, DSC control, Heated seat switch............

Oh, a neat feature I just discovered.. The stereo keeps separate tone settings for each input.. So, if you set the bass and treble different for cd's and FM it actually knows it...First one I've seen do that.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Well, they probably thought they had to because of the way the trunk flys up it might be a bit of a problem while you're moving. They just didn't think this one through.
They've spent many years doing this stuff and also could have altered it at some point during the car's production. They perhaps haven't seen a need to do what you want (or perhaps there are laws against it). If you want this to change in future, I reckon your best bet would be to write a paper letter explaining what you want and why - paper gets special treatment now that hardly anyone bothers.
Oh come on. If the software has been engineered properly it's relatively simple.
You really have a naive view of software! But, the point is that the software will NOT be changed UNLESS there is a REQUIREMENT that's different to what must now be the case. I reckon anyone bothered enough has a chance to change things because almost nobody ever asks.
This is the first car I've ever had that did this.
Oh. It's not uncommon. It looks to be the (not particularly new) "standard" over here.
Let software engineers have too much control and they promptly screw things up.
You're thinking of Microsoft. You're right about them ("this is a change by design" HAHAHA)!
Here's my reasoning for it. The "J" or "U" gate selector doesn't provide a very good feel on the LH side for which gear you're in so it would be nice.
The J-Gate just isn't really what today's owner wants (if anyone ever did). It's history.
PLus, I bet someone has figured out how to put paddle shifters on this tranny ans maybe one day on these cars. That would be nice to have too.
You can already get that for the S-Type (and other jags). Not cheap, though.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,293 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Just to add to Brutal's info. All S types have folding rear seats. The STR has the handles hidden in the trunk from the factory. The reason is the STR has an additional brace installed across the trunk to interior opening. So even with the rear seats folded down you don't have much access. You can remove this brace as it is bolted in. This is one of many additions to the standard S Type to improve the stiffness of the car for STR duty. See the pictures below to help illustrate what I am talking about.

Here are the cables behind the trunk liner.

Here is the brace across the opening.

Attached Thumbnails Hidden features that amazed you-str-fold-down-rear-seat-cable.jpg   Hidden features that amazed you-str-fold-down-rear-seat-down-position.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

I know they're not going to change any of this. That wasn't the point.

The J gate is not dead. It's operating just fine a whole lot of Jaguars out there. The owners have to deal with that. I was just trying to explain my rational for having the selected gear displayed. I don't know that that could be changed without quite a substantial investment in man hours and we all know that's not going to happen.

Now, could we stop with the attitude? Calling me naive is not helping your argument. I spent 30 years in systems and software design and have designed and authored many event driven software control systems. I know there's an indicator switch somewhere in their software indicating movement and if there's not then shame on them. That could clearly substitute for the gear selector being in park. I just disagree with their operational design choice. If there's a valid argument for not doing this I just haven't heard it yet. As you suggest, maybe it's their committee of safety ***** run-a-muck.

Automobile interface design has spawned quite a few variations of what used to be standard human-machine interfaces and I for one am not convinced that all of this is such a good idea. BMW I-Drive comes to mind. The S-Type has very little of this as compared with some of it's contemporaries which is one thing that attracted me to this car.

Critiquing the car is something everyone does with all of their vehicles. It doesn't mean I don't think it's a great car either.

Bob S.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting those photos.

So is it at all usefull on an STR or is the center arm pass through pretty much the only usefull part?

I also wonder if further strengthening across the front shock towers would be helpfull. I have noticed on the horribly bumpy roads here that the front suspension loses it's control on bumpy roads.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just to add to Brutal's info. All S types have folding rear seats. The STR has the handles hidden in the trunk from the factory. The reason is the STR has an additional brace installed across the trunk to interior opening. So even with the rear seats folded down you don't have much access. You can remove this brace as it is bolted in. This is one of many additions to the standard S Type to improve the stiffness of the car for STR duty. See the pictures below to help illustrate what I am talking about.

Here are the cables behind the trunk liner.

Here is the brace across the opening.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

It is not very useful but I like to lay the rear seat down so I don't set things on the nice leather seats. The rear seat backs are covered with the same stuff as the trunk liner.

The front engine compartment already has a cross brace but it's kind of hidden under he plastic cowl cover. Note how stout the bar is and the large bolts that attach it to the car. It probably would help to have one mounted closer to the front of the car. Like this 4.3L Aston Martin below. This is another version of the Jaguar AJ8. I was hoping these larger variations might be back fitted to a car that originally came with the smaller 4.2L. The larger Land Rover 4.4L is also a possibility. The land Rover I am not to sure about because they have had two different 4.4 L V-8's. One based on the Jaguar engine then another completely different 4.4L BMW based V-8. Here is the factory front brace from the Aston Martin. What a beautiful car!!

Attached Thumbnails Hidden features that amazed you-aston-martin-4.3l-v-8.jpg   Hidden features that amazed you-aston-martin-4.3l-v-8-car.jpg  
Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

I know they're not going to change any of this.
My point exactly: they also won't change it on future cars if no-one bothers to tell them to.
The J gate is not dead. It's operating just fine a whole lot of Jaguars out there.
It's not fine. It's semi-acceptable. I don't expect any new jags to have it.
I was just trying to explain my rational for having the selected gear displayed.
I tried to make clear I understood and am happy with your reason (even though I'm not bothered myself).
Now, could we stop with the attitude? Calling me naive is not helping your argument. I spent 30 years in systems and software design and have designed and authored many event driven software control systems.
Then you should know all about Requirements. Those are what need to change because the software will follow them faithfully (excepting bugs).
I just disagree with their operational design choice. If there's a valid argument for not doing this I just haven't heard it yet.
For "... choice" read Requirements.

That so many things are not user-settable is weird or even pathetic.

However, I think the lock-on-go will be. And as I mentioned you can already get a paddle-shift steering wheel. To my mind it doesn't work properly as well as being hugely over-priced.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ok you win. This is leading no where.

Bob S.

My point exactly: they also won't change it on future cars if no-one bothers to tell them to.

It's not fine. It's semi-acceptable. I don't expect any new jags to have it.

I tried to make clear I understood and am happy with your reason (even though I'm not bothered myself).

Then you should know all about Requirements. Those are what need to change because the software will follow them faithfully (excepting bugs).

For "... choice" read Requirements.

That so many things are not user-settable is weird or even pathetic.

However, I think the lock-on-go will be. And as I mentioned you can already get a paddle-shift steering wheel. To my mind it doesn't work properly as well as being hugely over-priced.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'll go give seat backs a try this afternoon.

Yes, that is a substantial looking tower brace.

I've had a couple of troubling drives in mine of late where one moment it feels sure footed and then it seems to be wandering terribly so I'm going to have it looked at next week.

Bob S.

It is not very useful but I like to lay the rear seat down so I don't set things on the nice leather seats. The rear seat backs are covered with the same stuff as the trunk liner.

The front engine compartment already has a cross brace but it's kind of hidden under he plastic cowl cover. Note how stout the bar is and the large bolts that attach it to the car. It probably would help to have one mounted closer to the front of the car. Like this 4.3L Aston Martin below. This is another version of the Jaguar AJ8. I was hoping these larger variations might be back fitted to a car that originally came with the smaller 4.2L. The larger Land Rover 4.4L is also a possibility. The land Rover I am not to sure about because they have had two different 4.4 L V-8's. One based on the Jaguar engine then another completely different 4.4L BMW based V-8. Here is the factory front brace from the Aston Martin. What a beautiful car!!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Just to add to Brutal's info. All S types have folding rear seats.

Well hidden they must be as I could find no evidence of them. I couldn't even spot a portion of a cable coming down. So I guess I have to remove the the carpet on the sides or top to get at them?

Bob S.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

I had too. Yes.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the headlamp washers, two stalks move out, squirt the lamps and move back in to the bumper. First time I saw them I thought "cool, very James Bond!" If you have them you will see 2 circular discs on the bumper, I thought they were blanking plates at first.

Yes dealers can disable auto locking.

The early cars don't have auto close on the remote due to no protection against trapped limbs, facelift ones do. If it does not work may need remote programming.

All rear seats fold down except I heard the STR has a ski hatch instead, can anyone confirm or deny?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find What Impresses People The most is The Ability to Roll down the windows With The Remote Fob..

Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrjoe2you
I find What Impresses People The most is The Ability to Roll down the windows With The Remote Fob..
LOL.. My Honda Accord did it as well as an ex-girlfriend's Jetta....

What is cool is the global close with the remote.... Oh wait, mine won't do it, and I keep forgetting to tell the dealer about it when it's there...

Oh yea, US cars don't have headlamp washers either.. And you guys in Canada and Europe keep reminding us...

Ahhh, pooo.. Well, at least we can buy rear seat entertainment systems for $127.50 .... Ha! Take That!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I must admit, my special favorite is the heated windshield. Always seemed strange to have the rear window equipped to defrost and then have to stand out in the weather to do the front.

Of course, being in Alabama I don't get to use it much.....

Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

For me, the most entertaining is the Engineering Test Mode. You can get all the instrument lights to go on and the gauges make a cool whirring sound. There are actually some useful functions like a digital tach, digital speedometer and battery charging indicator. I don't recall seeing it in the owner's manual but there is a pdf file in the forum available.

Mike

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Really? Where do I find that?

Bob S.

Originally Posted by carelm
For me, the most entertaining is the Engineering Test Mode. You can get all the instrument lights to go on and the gauges make a cool whirring sound. There are actually some useful functions like a digital tach, digital speedometer and battery charging indicator. I don't recall seeing it in the owner's manual but there is a pdf file in the forum available.

Mike

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe that's what make this happen to me?

Last month while traveling to Canada I was going though VT and in the early morning we kept going in and out of pockets of heavy moisture in the air. Not really a fog but the result was that the water instantaneously plated the windows and I lost all vision at 65 mph. I've never had that happen in a car before. It usually takes a while to develop. It was pretty frightening. I had to roll down the windows, stick my head out and slow way down. At first we though the windows were fogging up on the inside of the car.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by Toller
I must admit, my special favorite is the heated windshield. Always seemed strange to have the rear window equipped to defrost and then have to stand out in the weather to do the front.

Of course, being in Alabama I don't get to use it much.....

Quick Reply: Hidden features that amazed you