S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S Type AC Manifold Hose (Spring Coupling Removal Home Fix)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Default Jaguar S Type AC Manifold Hose (Spring Coupling Removal Home Fix)

Hi Guys,

I had to replace my AC Manifold hose on the 00 S Type (4.0) due to a leak at the pressure sensor fitting. I hit it when putting the bottom half of the air cleaner on.

The manifold hose connects to the compressor, the condenser (upper driver's side) and the other hose rides along the bottom of the radiator frame and is held in place with 2 clamps that bolt into the front of the frame then the end of that hose connects via a spring coupling.

Now I have the proper spring coupler removal tools and have used them with ease until today. The largest size that comes is 7/8". The metal hose diameter is more than 7/8'!

I tried both the plastic and metal 7/8" spring coupling removal tools with no success. I looked to see if there is a 1" size remover and could not find one. Even the master kits - looks like the largest size diameter is 7/8".

Now with everything apart I was in a real pinch.

I took the cap off a gallon bottle of cranberry juice, cut the top and used my dremmel to smooth out the edges of the cap. I cut it down to the size of the metal hose using the replacement as a guide leaving a 1/4" gap.

I inserted the home made remover with plyers to get it to slip onto the spring and a few tugs and the hose was out.

Generally, when dealing with spring coupling fittings a few pointers:

* If you can try and twist the connection before attempting to insert the tool.
* Push the connection in then pull away after inserting tool.
* No tool is needed to reinstall gently put the fitting back together and use a twisting motion if possible to work the spring past the lip. (This stumped me for a bit but I finally was able to get the connection back together)

And it is rather difficult to recharge the AC System when ambient temps are below 75. (My ambient temp was between 60 - 65 degrees) but was able to get the system charged up eventually.

I will also state Jaguar/Ford had a **** poor design placing the pressure sensor right next to the intake air horn on the bottom of the air filter assembly. Even the replacement is making contact with the bottom of the air cleaner.

Once I'm in that area again I'm going to massage the AC line to move it ever so slightly away from the air cleaner intake horn for peace of mind.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar S Type AC Manifold Hose (Spring Coupling Removal Home Fix)-20161002_192435_resized.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Nice job, Anthony. Thanks for posting a pic.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (10-03-2016)