S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlamp upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Headlamp upgrade

Can anyone advise me if its possible to replace standard headlight bulbs on a 2004 S-Type with LED bulbs, and if so what are the problems?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Old 06-03-2019, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Just use brighter halogens instead of getting pain.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Just use brighter halogens instead of getting pain.

Yes, thank you for your reply. I've done that, and it's a definite improvement! However a Jaguar is not second best, and is also not without pain (for which I am prepared) - I still want the best lighting I can get, if it's possible!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:51 AM
R2e
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I did mine, dip and main, with LEDs getting on for 2 years ago, haven't experienced any pain, and I've passed two MOTs with them fitted since. The improvement in lighting is excellent, much appreciated by my old eyes, and in my opinion, comparing with non Jag HIDs I have had in the past, better. They do not dazzle oncoming drivers, I did check with a couple of friends. A little known benefit of LEDs over HIDs is they don't need time to warm up so the headlamp flash works as normal. They were fiddly but not difficult to fit and are plug and play.

They are illegal, and of course I am in constant terror of the police locking me up and throwing away the key for having illegal bulbs, but I could change back to the original Halogens (which are in the boot just in case) in probably less than ten minutes, so my wife is primed to keep the boys in blue talking while I whip out and change them over

The pic below shows how yellow the halogen bulb is (left of pic) compared with LED on the right. The LED side still had a halogen sidelight bulb, also showing yellow, which I replaced with LEDs also

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-10-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by R2e
I did mine, dip and main, with LEDs getting on for 2 years ago, haven't experienced any pain, and I've passed two MOTs with them fitted since. The improvement in lighting is excellent, much appreciated by my old eyes, and in my opinion, comparing with non Jag HIDs I have had in the past, better. They do not dazzle oncoming drivers, I did check with a couple of friends. A little known benefit of LEDs over HIDs is they don't need time to warm up so the headlamp flash works as normal. They were fiddly but not difficult to fit and are plug and play.

They are illegal, and of course I am in constant terror of the police locking me up and throwing away the key for having illegal bulbs, but I could change back to the original Halogens (which are in the boot just in case) in probably less than ten minutes, so my wife is primed to keep the boys in blue talking while I whip out and change them over

The pic below shows how yellow the halogen bulb is (left of pic) compared with LED on the right. The LED side still had a halogen sidelight bulb, also showing yellow, which I replaced with LEDs also

Thank you very much R2e, very helpful and encouraging.

Is there a particular LED type or spec required? Those I've seen in the accessory shops look longer than halogens and I did have a lot of difficulty replacing halogens losing quite a chunk of my hand in the process!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:39 AM
R2e
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fluty
Thank you very much R2e, very helpful and encouraging.

Is there a particular LED type or spec required? Those I've seen in the accessory shops look longer than halogens and I did have a lot of difficulty replacing halogens losing quite a chunk of my hand in the process!
These are the dip beams I used (I bought them from Amazon but they're no longer available from there) -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283422999472?chn=ps

and the main beam similar to these (again bought from Amazon but no longer available)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Hb3-9005-72...d=362622813540

The bulbs have a removable adaptor which fits in place of the base of the halogen bulb, this is the fiddly bit getting the existing clip to hold it in. Once those are in the LED is put in and turned through 90 degrees to lock. As the actual light source ends up in exactly the same place as the halogen light source, the beam pattern is not affected. I then connected to the existing connectors, fitted the rubber caps and off we went. Due to the hefty heat sinks I monitored carefully that nothing was overheating, the longest being a 2 hour drive in the dark after which there was no sign of excessive heat. A word of warning, stick a towel or something below the bulb socket which will prevent mishandling of the LED adaptor being dropped inside the reflector. (Don't ask how I know this but if it happens you have to remove the bumper, remove the headlight so you can shake it out!).
Getting the adaptors in and clipped in place is the difficult bit,the nearside was fairly easy to fit, as were both main beams, but the offside dip was a b*&$£ due to the bonnet release cable. Putting the LEDs into the adaptor and turning is simple. In the pic below, the white adaptor is shown alongside the halogen bulb.

##

See below for how the clip is removed (and replaced)

The following 2 users liked this post by R2e:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-10-2019), Norri (06-06-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Smile

Thank you R2e, I could not have asked for a more detailed and helpful answer to my questions! Thank you for taking so much trouble and giving so much information.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Be sure to tell your insurer if you do it. Should you fail to do that the law means they can keep your premiums but void your insurance (because you broke the contract).

Old 06-06-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Be sure to tell your insurer if you do it. Should you fail to do that the law means they can keep your premiums but void your insurance (because you broke the contract).
Thanks again, I'll call my insurer just to make sure its all above board.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

FYI, there are a handful of videos on YouTube on how to select and install LED bulbs in our STs. The one thing that stuck out was the need to get the LEDs that disassemble at the rear (usually unscrewing the heat sink or fan) or there may not be enough room to clip the bulb assembly into the housing.

About 3 years ago, I anticipated JagV8's advice by installing Sylvania Silverstar halogen bulbs, which DO throw more light, but not at the hyper-white or "cool blue" 6000k range color temperature. At the time, they were the best option available, and not much more $ than a standard bulb.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Very helpful comment about a detachable heatsink - I was wondering how to get a longer bulb in as I already skinned my knuckles replacing the halogens!

Thanks to all who have offered advice.